mesa dc-3 need info??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I'm really gonna fuel the fire....

I installed a switch today in my DC-3 to go from Cathode Bias (what I've been running it on) to Fixed Bias.

There are some nice differences in tone that are available this way.

The Cathode Biased Cleans are incredibly warm and touch sensitive, while the Fixed Bias Distortion tones are freaking incredible.

I have never tried this, but in another thread, it was mentioned that Carlos puts all of his knobs on 7 to get his tone.

:D :D :D :D

Here is what I did:
Gain - 7
Treble - 7
Middle - 7
Bass - 7
Pres - 4
Reverb - 2
Master - 5
Output - 4
no EQ

Brand new Mojotone BV 30H speaker.

Holy freaking crap, that is the tone!!!!! Roll back the tone on the neck pickup and you magically have Europa. Add a little gain and roll the tone knob up, you get Supernatural.

It's "Holy Freaking Crap" loud too!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Doesn't the DC-3 run a fixed bias by default? You have more information / instructions on this extra switch (for an amp / electronics noob!)?

Interested to hear the difference.... you able to post some recordings of both settings?

Will try the settings tomorrow night once back from work :)

It does. I changed it to Cathode Bias right after I bought it. Can't remember why now. I think it's because I was using it in a Bluesy band and wanted a smoother tone.

http://www.londonpower.com/cath-fix.htm

Click on the links to see diagrams.

This is really a cool mod, I have done it to 2 DC's with great results. It adds a great amount of versatillity, espicially if you are recording.

I will try to record some clips soon.

It's pretty dangerous to not do the mod right. Your tubes will thank you if you are careful and triple check your work.

Let me know if you try it. The Bias supply resistors are on the far Right hand side if you are looking at the open chassis from the front.

Latest posts

Back