Mesa Cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUBH

Reaction score
I've had my Recto Pre for some months now, and I finally took the financial plunge and bought the 2:100 power amp today. Well, it's going to arrive about Friday, which means I have around a week to figure out what cabinet I want.

Well, I've never delved into this area of guitars & amps, so I have a number of questions greatly appreciate being helped with:

What's the difference between the Recto Standard and Recto Traditional?

Is there any difference between a staight cab and a slant cab (besides the obvious of being "slanted" lol)? What's the pro's and con's of each?

I guess any cab I find is going to be stocked with V30s... what kind of sound can I expect from them (bands, people here, etc)? I only ask because I came across someone talking about the Custom 90s (also called something like Black Shadow), and I'm a little curious about the pro's and con's of the two (apparently you can get the cab with either?).

100 watts stereo of tube power is a bit much for when I'll be practicing in the bedroom, so I'm going to need to consider an attenatuer (sp?) for that. What are some of the nice ones? Any rack-mount types? Any to stay away from?

I appreciate any help in answering these questions! :)

Standard = oversized cab
Traditional = normal

As far as slant, the top speakers are angled up I believe (towards you).

For an attenuator I heartily suggest the THD hotplate.

I think you should buy two Slanted Normal (oversized) 412's and set em side by side :) . If you have the room outside of your bedroom, wind those masters on the 2:100 to about 2 or 3 oclock. It'll be nice and punchy. Keep in mind that I have hearing lose and to many folks that might sound crazy, But you just can't beat the tone when you'r driving them like that. Nothing against attenatuers, there great for your bedroom, I just really like the sound of 412's when they're really crankin, when they're really really movin.

I use a mid 90's Mesa Road Ready 410 Bass cab in my bedroom for practice. It has really nice tone for guitar and you can really throw the low end at it, it would rather kill ya then blow up.

Standard = oversized cab
Traditional = normal cab

the oversized cab has more bass and a bigger sound, but the normal has more tight articulation. The slanted has the advantage that two speakers is directed at your ears, so you get direct sound from two speakers, while two other speakers are not, thus having reflection sounds from those.

custom 90 are in fact, as I've been told, Celestion classic lead. I have them both and I like the V30 more, they have more bass and are warmer than the classic lead, it sounds with gain and clean IMHO better then the customs. The latter has a kind of response to the higher frequencies what makes the smooth out of a recto not so smooth.

Thanks for the help so far...

Couple more questions (I'm pairing my Recto Pre with the 2:100 ;))...

Do you have to hook up a speaker to each side of the 2:100? I think I read somewhere that it can damage the amp if a speaker isn't hooked up.

Latest posts

Back