Mesa/Boogie vs Boogie ...year???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
OK, simple question here, but would love a definitive answer to fulfill my curiosity and OCD-need to answer the obscure: When did Mesa start using the "Mesa/Boogie" badge on the grill in lieu of the original "Boogie" nameplate?

No, I am not asking about the later "Mesa Engineering" logo silkscreened on the chassis face. I am speaking more specifically of the variances in nameplates on the Mark-series of amps. Thanks!!

Edward

Here are the badges and painted on labels for my Boogie equipment.
Thiele 1-12.....Mesa/Boogie (badge)
Thiele 1-12.....Mesa Engineering (badge)
Mark IV..........Boogie (badge)
TriAxis...........Mesa/Boogie (paint)
50/50............Mesa/Boogie (paint)
All of these pieces were bought within a few months of each other and all were bought new, so I don't think there actually is/was a time when they stopped using one badge and started using another.

Thanks, guys. Interesting info, especially on the Thieles! :)

It seems that the entire MKIV line carries the "Boogie" badge ...perhaps a conscious effort at nostalgia for just the IV, who knows? But what about the other Marks? Like the IIs, IIIs, and their indiv variants? Anyone know the chronology here? TIA! :)

Edward

My old Mark IV head had the "Mesa/Boogie" badge, but the combo I had before ithad the "boogie" badge. My Mark III doesn´t have one, but judging from the screw holes, it had the longer "Mesa/Boogie" badge aswell.

I also noticed there were different mesa boogie badges.
The black badge with white silk screen print has been made in two sizes.
I have two rackmounts and the older one has no rubber strips on the top plate and has a londer logo.

I've never seen an original Mark II with a "Mesa/Boogie" badge. My guess is that they started using both "Mesa/Boogie" and "Boogie" badges when the Mark III came. And they have continued to use both since then. It's weird. I always thought the older models had "Boogie" and the newer ones (newer Mark IV's, etc.) had "Mesa/Boogie". Obviously not. :?

Aart said:
I have two rackmounts and the older one has no rubber strips on the top plate and has a londer logo.

Like this?

jpmainamps2.jpg

edward said:
It seems that the entire MKIV line carries the "Boogie" badge ...perhaps a conscious effort at nostalgia for just the IV, who knows? But what about the other Marks? Like the IIs, IIIs, and their indiv variants? Anyone know the chronology here? TIA! :)

Edward

Not quite, I've seen older IVs with the long "flat" Mesa/Boogie badge and some newer ones with the raised, 3D type badge. Both are seen on the pic of the rackmount IV and IIC+ above.

Octavarius said:
Aart said:

Like this?

[pic]

No, like this:

afbeelding001kr3.jpg

Random Hero said:
edward said:

Edward

Not quite, I've seen older IVs with the long "flat" Mesa/Boogie badge and some newer ones with the raised, 3D type badge. Both are seen on the pic of the rackmount IV and IIC+ above.

I don't think the rackmount heads apply to this discussion, personally. The reason is the rack kits are more often than not owner-changes made after the initial purchase from the factory, and hence not an indication of what the guys at Petaluma pumped out to go to showroom floors, studios, or folks' living rooms. And if not an owner change, a custom order, in which all rack kits had the "Mesa/Boogie" badge (that I've seen, anyway), irrespective of the rack kit's age of mfg.

I am speaking of heads and combos, and most notably the Mark series as those seem to be the most inconsistent ...or shall I say "haphazard" in which badge was used. So what seems to be arising as the "answer" is that Mesa was in a transition period in the late 80s to early 90s, and used whatever they had??

Edward

There is no one answer for this question, as I'm sure you've already found out. "Boogie" was used for Marks I and II.
Both badges were available for Mark III, but not for the rack units, or the Studio series in the Eighties. Mostly "Mesa Boogie" for the baby boogies.
Mark IV's started out with Boogie badges, but swithched to Mesa Boogie.
Of course, in a small factory like Mesa, they could do whatever they wanted to.
I'm big on the Bubble letter Boogie Badge.

tommyhawk13 said:
There is no one answer for this question, as I'm sure you've already found out. "Boogie" was used for Marks I and II.
Both badges were available for Mark III, but not for the rack units, or the Studio series in the Eighties. Mostly "Mesa Boogie" for the baby boogies.
Mark IV's started out with Boogie badges, but swithched to Mesa Boogie.
Of course, in a small factory like Mesa, they could do whatever they wanted to.
I'm big on the Bubble letter Boogie Badge.

The weird thing is that if the Mark IV series switched to "Mesa/Boogie", why does a new one have the Boogie badge?

Living_justice said:
my new mesa boogie mark 4 has the boogie badge.

How new is it exactly?

And for anyone interested, you can actully order one if you want to swap them out. When I ordered my custom F-50 I had them build it with the "Boogie" badge on the wicker grille, and it looks killer. I also ordered one to put on my DC-3 and it definitely gives that amp a nice old school vibe. I assume this is still possible to do.

Interesting Topic, here is my input:

I always assumed that the "Boogie" or "Mesa/Boogie" badges came on products athat I would associate with the original boogie products- The mark I and II. So with this, Most of the early stuff based on these two amps, would have this logo - IE the mark IV is based on the IIC+ Circuit, so It has a boogie badge, Because its still a boogie.

The stuff that is "Newer", with different circuit designs etc, get the "Mesa Engineering" Badge. This includes rectos, the newer bass amps, Stilletos, Expresses, etc. These, as far as i know are completely different circuits, and are aimed at different tonal abilities than the mark series.

So, The mark series, and related amps are all Boogies. The recto is not a boogie in this somewhat "elitist" point of view. The basis of my theory is that Randall still think his mark series, and any amp with a boogie badge, is different and unique to the mesa engineering stuff.

I had thought about this before this thread, id like to know what you all think!

Latest posts

Back