Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp Problem!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esppse

Reaction score
Help me out here please,

I just got the preamp today from Ebay and its not working. Im pretty sure it has something to do with the outputs in the back. When the plug is halfway in, I hear a little bit of sound and a LOT of hum(just like most amps when the cable is half in)... but when i plug it all the way in, there is no sound. All four of the outputs are like this. The cable is fine.

I know the problem is not my power amp because i tested it with another preamp.

When I opened up the preamp, one of the tubes was out of its socket and was rolling around inside the preamp from Tennessee to New jersey. The tube still heats up... does that mean it is working?

I also saw a wire that is not soldered to anything. The connection was probably severed by the rolling tube. Where does it go?
Here is a picture of it...

http://img163.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=pict5161.jpg

Could the problem be anywhere else?

Thanks guys.

That wire looks like the white ground wire that should be soldered to the lead tab on the reverb. Mine runs to the base of the choke transformer, but yours looks like it provides the same ground from the EFX return jacks.

thank you so much Mongo, that one single wire was the key that unlocked the Mesa Boogie...

I OWE U ONE DUDE!!!

Best of luck in your repairs. You'll love the way the Studio sounds, I'd be lost without it in my rig.

Latest posts

Back