Mesa Boogie Roadking

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larsmega

Reaction score
Hello to all you guys in this forum. This is my first post :D

I have some questions. I'm thinking about maybe buying a Road King amp, but i'm not sure if it's good or not. I'm looking for the Petrucci-sound (the new one, on the Train of Though album, not the old ones where he used Mark IV).

Is it possible to get the sounds he uses in for example Glasgow Kiss or Damage Control?
Is the amp good?

Should I choose that one, or perhaps another Mesa amp?

Please help:) :D

The Roadking is a LOT of amplifier.. not saying you shouldn't purchase one, but you can easily nail Petrucci tones on a Dual Rectifier Solo head, sufficiently cheaper and the exact amp he used to record TOT and 6DOIT I believe.. I'm sure he did some other tracking but the tone you seem to be looking for is a vanilla dual rec. The RK is a wonderful amp but it may be very overkill for you.

And I believe his weapon of choice is the Mark IIC+ for leads and his older rythm work, not the MkIV but knowing JP I'm sure he's got a few of those too. I can't say I know too much about his gear personally.

Train of Thought what was mainly Series I Road King. Let me just add that even with an Ernie Ball Petrucci guitar and Mesa Road King, it will be hard to "nail" any recorded tone. Petrucci uses alot of effects, double tracking not to mention other processing. It's not just the sound coming out of the amp.

larsmega said:
Should I choose that one, or perhaps another Mesa amp?
Please help:) :D

I got the Road King cause when I plugged in at the store, it was the biggest & baddest thing I had ever heard. All I knew was that I had to have it. Until I discovered the RK, I was ready to drop my money on the DR. Sometimes I wish I would've got the DR cause that is all I really needed. I don't gig out anymore, I just do the bedroom thing. Anyways, I'm very happy with my RK & it will remain in my arsenal. The biggest & baddest is not always the best amp for everybody. Don't choose with emotion, go play & listen, only you know what you really want.

I thought I'd just post a link to some clips from my upcoming solorecord here. Loud Road King coming up...!
Enjoy at www.myspace.com/grimmark

CJG

Yeah, you can't buy an amp and expect it to sound like it does on the recording (which I'm sure you know). On the recording, you're hearing 2 to 6 (or more) rhythm tracks with different EQ's and some different pans, on board EQ-ing, compression, gating, boosting, ect, ect..(and not to mention any stomp boxes or external FX he's using in the loop at the time). But the Road King is the amp the JP is using (that, or at least a Dual Recto) on most of his newer stuff.

It's hard to say if you're gonna get his tone.... One person could use the same amp and guitar as you and get almost dead on, and the next person might sound like complete garbage and in a total different direction with almost the same settings. There are lots of variables in play here, but if you want to get close to JP's sound, the Road King or a recto is a good place to start........ even a Single recto, which is much cheaper.

Hey man if you have the money for a roadking, go for it, you will never need another amp.I have had the single rec, triple rec, and the roadking, you would be happy with the dual rec high gain sounds definitely, but you wont be on the clean. Go with the roadking and you will never look back. Jp uses roadkings.

I have been reading this forum for a few months after I bought my first Mesa, which I love so much, I going to order an RK-I pretty sure I will love it, although one guy who had one sold it for a roadster-which makes me wonder, but I have to know for myself.

stash49 said:
I have been reading this forum for a few months after I bought my first Mesa, which I love so much, I going to order an RK-I pretty sure I will love it, although one guy who had one sold it for a roadster-which makes me wonder, but I have to know for myself.

I'm the one that sold the RK for the Roadster.....But that doesn't by any means make the Road King a bad amp! The entire reason I got the Roadster is becasue I needed a better clean channel (like in the Lonestar) and I got it in the roadster. The Road King 1 is still a GREAT amp and if you could afford it, go for the RKII and you'll be a little happier if you need better cleans.....If you don't need the Lonestar clenas, then the RK1 is perfect. The RK1 cleans are still pretty decent and much better than any other Recto out there.

stash49 said:

You can't order an RK I. Only RKII's are available. Going from an RKI to a Roadster is understandable because the Roadster has the same circuitry as an RKII.

You can't order an RK I. Only RKII's are available. Going from an RKI to a Roadster is understandable because the Roadster has the same circuitry as an RKII.

Back