Mesa Boogie Mark V questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Rossness

Reaction score
This is my first post here, so let me start off saying Howdy =)

I'm an avid Randall MTS user with 3 power amps and close to 20 modded preamps. One of my preamps is based on a Mesa Mark series amp, and I think it has great tone. See vid ====>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCBouy641c

I've know the limitations of an MTS amp, and have gotten the Itch to get a non- MTS series amp, and have been thinking of picking up a Mesa Mark V. I think its the tone I've been missing. I have the Marshall tone, I have the vox tone and I've never been able to coax a good fender tone out of an amp. What I'm looking for has to sound different and "big" at the same time.

I had never fooled around with a mark series amp, but when I did, it sounded big and sweet, with a nice clean chime. I've got a few questions for those who have one or have played one extensively.

1) If I'm going for more of a classic hard rock and jazz tone, will the MKV suit my needs? My ideal tone can be described as: big and open like early Rush songs, sweet like Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak album, ferocious and compressed enough for Ratt tones and a sweet open lead tone that would be similar to Santana. As far as cleans, I'm into a vox chime and an overdriven, bluesy fender tone that doesn't really break up. Also, I like a sound that fills a room and just sounds... well... BIG! I'm not into out of control, fire-breathing amps.

2) I find that I like somewhat of a darker tone on most amps (Orange, Carvin Legacy, Shiva) . Can I dial a little darkness (not the band) into the amp? Can I get channel 2 voiced in a way to sound a little darker than normal? I've never been into too much crunch, as then it just sounds like a bad dirt pedal. How do you like channel 2 on the amp? What do you use it for?

3) Combo or head? I love the fact that the combo looks so small. I could fit one in a sports car no problem, right? I had an Electra Dyne for a few weeks and remember it being quite heavy to lug around. Is the Mark V a heavy amp? If I get just the head, will it sound good through EVH Celestions (that's my cab). How would it sound through a Mesa 2x12 cab? I should mention, I'm leaning towards the combo.

4) Does anyone find the amp muddy as I'm not into mud.

5) I play a lot around the house. I'm a tone snob and I want awesome tone even while practicing. If I play the amp at "let's not kill the neighbors" volume", will the amp still sound good?

6) I saw Dream theater a few years ago, and while I was pretty wasted during their set, I remember JP's tone sounded massive! Does anyone find that the Mark V sounds "big"?

7) Final question. New vs. Used. What is the going price for a Mark V on the used market?

Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated . Peace~

What I can say is that the Mark V is an AMAZING amp, and in 10, 45 or 90 wtts. mode TONE is always great.

I use the amp in 10 wtts. mode while at home, and it has never shown signs of losing tone. Although changing it on 45 / 90 wtts. opens it up completely, you can always "nail it".

In channel 2 you´ll find high gain tones that, while remembering somewhat to a british amp, remain classic Mesa: TIGHT, punchy and amazing...needless to say, channel 3 is a beast in its own right...

For what I´ve seen, used prices are about 200 USD cheaper than new...maybe is not a big amount to even consider it...

Hope I was able to help...

Just know that you WONT regret it. Mark V is AWESOME.

My feelings are the MV is a great amp but definetly not at bedroom volumes. The 10w mode to me sounds awful.. thin and tinny. I would rather play through a solid state amp modeler like a line 6 pod or something for low volumes. This is not to take anything away from the mark.. the same is true in my opinion for any tube amp.. except for maybe my dumble clone (ceriatone) which sounds alright but still does not sing until you crank it up.

Also my feelings are that the MV is really just alright with the stock tubes. If you want really great tone you'll have to spend some time and money on re tubing. I've done some experimenting and am still in the middle of picking the right tubes but already have increased the tone quality by a huge amount and havent even recieved the nos stuff I've ordered yet.

My opinions are based on about 2 years playing on the MV in a metal band so keep in mind I'm talking mostly about overdriven sounds.

I get some awesome tones at low volumes with my V. I have mine set up for a clean, slight OD and a bluesy tone tho.

The Rossness said:
3) Combo or head? I love the fact that the combo looks so small. I could fit one in a sports car no problem, right? I had an Electra Dyne for a few weeks and remember it being quite heavy to lug around. Is the Mark V a heavy amp? If I get just the head, will it sound good through EVH Celestions (that's my cab). How would it sound through a Mesa 2x12 cab? I should mention, I'm leaning towards the combo.

The Mark V combo weighs about 70lbs, and it's not quite as small as it seems. It might fit into a sports car, but it's going to be hell on your back to try to get it in and out of there. It sounds different through different cabs, but it's flexible enough in the tone controls that you can find happiness with just about any cab and speaker combination.

Latest posts

Back