Mesa Boogie Mark sizes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvandendungen

Reaction score
Ok, searching Google didn't help much so hereby I start the official Mesa Boogie Mark sizes thread.
There are several terms used for the size of a Mark head/combo. Short, medium, long, wide. What is the difference?
Correct me if I'm wrong:
There is no such thing as long. A medium, long, and wide head are all the same. So basically there are only two sizes:
- Short
- Medium (long, wide)

Soundwise, there is no difference between the two. The difference is purely the layout of the controls.

For a Mark III, for example, the short head has the reverb pot and the Simul-Class or 100/60 switch on the back, whereas the medium head has them on the front of the chassis.
My Mark III is fully loaded. It has four switches on the front, including the Simul-Class switch. It also has the reverb pot on the front, so I have a medium head.

Is this correct?

I don't know about the Mark III, but I have a Mark IV long head, and you are correct about the controls being on front instead of the back. I think the MK IV short head has the lead voicing switch and the EQ(Auto-off-Auto R2) on the back. Soundwise it's all the same.

Latest posts

Back