Mesa Boogie Mark III "red stripe" model - Info hel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandan

Reaction score
I've read this thing comes very close to a Mark II C + in terms of the "distorted" playing goes.

Can anyone offer some info or personal experience with this amp?

Just curious

what is the difference between a Mark III that is "simulclass" and a Mark III that isn't.

responses appreciated thanks!

No personal MK III ownership, only IIC+'s. IMHO a MK III is like your second choice for a prom date. Not the prom queen, but close enough.

A simul amp ran the outer two tube sockets in Class A Triode. It was meant to run EL 34's in the outer sockets. You can run 6L6's as well. It was meant to run two different power amps simultaneously. Hence, Simul-Class.
A regular MK III would be a 60-100 watt with a half power switch witch ran 4 6L6's. Do not try to run EL 34's in a non-simul MK III. The Simul and 60/100 used two different output transformers.

Boogiebaies is right on the money, in the respect to a prom date. They're very close. I have a good friend that owns a red stripe and it sounds excellent...very close to my C+ but with some differences. They came very close to nailing the tone on the red stripe.

By the way, Boogie does a MKIII C+ mod that supposedly sounds excellent for around $250, that will get you even closer to the C+ than the red stripe will currently. I can't comment on the sound as I've never heard it and my friend refuses to alter his tone as he's VERY happy with it.

If you happen to get one, I heard the Rhythm2 master volume mod is highly recommended and cheap to do.

Definitely get an R2 vol mod... Makes it very useful.
I have a blue striper, and love it, but will have to admit the reds lead channel is better, but the blue R2 has more gain.
I'd like to know more about the mark IIIC+ mod... What exactly do they do? How does it enhance the tone? Does it lose anything in the R1 or R2 channels?
thanks.
ax. :twisted:

axwielding1 said:
Definitely get an R2 vol mod... Makes it very useful.
I have a blue striper, and love it, but will have to admit the reds lead channel is better, but the blue R2 has more gain.
I'd like to know more about the mark IIIC+ mod... What exactly do they do? How does it enhance the tone? Does it lose anything in the R1 or R2 channels?
thanks.
ax. :twisted:

Ok if someone could help me out before tomorrow morning

They are selling all these around the same price at a shop next to me and a guy selling his off recycler. "blue stripe with C+ mod" done to it. Simulclass/eq

Red Stripe shorter head version with simulclass/eq/+reverb - i played it and it was GREAT. I love it.

Red stripe long head version - simulclass/eq/ no reverb

Is there a difference between "red stripe" models? Does the year the red stripe was made in effect the gain/tone?

I have some MK IIIC+'s created by Mike B. The C+ mod gets you as close as possible to the sound of a MK IIC+. I've owned many original IIC+'s and I prefer the modded MK III's that Mike has done for me. Reasons being, I like having the Rhythm 2 sound available and my MK III's are less in your face than the IIC+'s. They're a little smoother, and spongier. Now this is something I asked Mike to do. I had a certain sound in mind and he was able to deliver it for me. He says they are done to "Blue Stripe" spec's
I also own a MK III "Red Stripe". Mike also went through that one as well but didn't "Blue stripe" it. There is a slight difference in this amp compared to the other 2. It's a bit punchier, and a bit tighter sounding. It's probably closer to a IIC+ than the others. However the differences in these amps is not dramatic. I would say the "Red Striipe" sounds better at higer volumes. The "Blue Stripe's" don't need to be opened up quite as much to sound good. I don't hear any difference at all in R2 mode. I have a feeling if I were blindfolded I might not be able to tell the difference.
I still own a 60 watt IIC+. It's a great amp as well. But it's hard to compare it the the MK III's because they're all Simul-Class amps. If I still owned a Simul IIC+ I feel I could make a decent comparison. The 60 watt and Simul-Class power sections are different animals, so any comparsions would be somewhat tainted.

AHH exactly the kind of answers i needed

im so happy i could blow you!

jk haha

but thanks man

im gonna go with the red stripe and get it "C+" modded. hopefully the price to mod it wasnt jacked up a whole lot.

if i could get an answer to this before 4pm i would love ya!

ok.. ive played a normal mark III red stripe and loved it simulclass 100/60 watt all features

im going to try out a Mark III (former blue) with a C+ upgrade on it simulclass 75-15 watt all features

I know this is all preference but saying I really like how the blue/ C+ sounds.

Im not going to hear a night and day difference between a RED C+ and a blue C+ am i?

Well I don't hear a night and day difference in mine. As I said earlier there's a difference but it's subtle.
Also there are no simul-class 100/60 watt amps. All MK II, and III simul-class amps are 75 watts in high power, 15 watts in low. The 100/60 watt amps are class A/B amps. Like a Fender Twin, etc.

oh ops!

thanks brother!

i now feel no matter which i pick i shall be more than happy!

I think if you go with either the red or blue stripe you'll be happy.

Latest posts

Back