mesa boogie 30 watt mode loud poping sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannyfresh

Reaction score
hey guys im new to the fourm, I decided to join because I own the mesa boogie lss and its amazing. But anyways I have a problem with it, I broke a 12ax7 when taking of the tube sheild so i replaced it with a standard mesa boogie tube that i bought the only problem now is that it keeps making a loud poping sound like it wants to pop a fuse. could it be the preamp tube i switch out????

thanks

Welcome to the forum :)

When I bought my LSS (used) I looked in the manual I saw that the previous owner had marked the 12ax7 on the diagram with a cross, so I emailed him to see if he'd had problems, and this was his reply:

...soon after I got the amp it started making an occasional "popping" sound on all channels and all wattage settings....only noticeable when not playing so more of an irritation than a real problem..rang Westside [the distributor] who suggested taking it back to the shop I bought it from ...GAK in Brighton so not very practical...I described the symptoms in detail to Westside who said it sounded like a preamp tube going as it was on both channels etc so they sent me a couple of new ones FOC to try....I changed them as instructed...no difference...another phone call...they sent me a new rectifier tube FOC..put it in ...problem solved.

Hope this helps you.

Yes! Rectifier tubes are notorious for going bad on the LSS. Mine went was bad and I replaced it and never had a problem since!

Amp is good...tube is bad. Many people equate bad tubes to bad amps....not the case!

Latest posts

Back