Mesa .50 cal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Listening to Meshuggah’s “None” EP and found out that they were using a Mesa .50 Caliber + amp on that album.

What can you guys tell me about the .50 cal? Will it do metal fairly well (it does on this album obviously)?

Also, is the DC-5 basically the same thing with an updated name and different clean channel?

From what I've read, Meshuggah used Marshall 8200s for the rhythm guitars and a 50 Caliber + was used for leads.

50 Caliber can be an awesome metal amp.

This is a great demo - http://youtu.be/Y9UaxQul0r0

The .50 cal is the precursor to the F series. They can sound very tight, to the point of brittleness, and have a lot of gain, though not as much as a Mark or Recto.

They would cut very nicely in a metal band.

I would disagree, but maybe there was something wrong with the .50+ I had. I even re-tubed it, but I could not get a decent hard rock/metal tone out of it. My best description of it would be roughly the guitar tones on Nirvana's Bleach album. High gain? Yes, but not searing, urgent, tight gain. Not like the F-50 I had.

Latest posts

Back