mesa 4x12 with straight sides but angled top speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

Reaction score
I've seen a boogie 4x12 that seems like a hybrid of an angled and straight cab. I has a cabinet outer shell like a straight cab but the top two speakers are recessed and angled in so that it functions like an angled cab.

Does anyone know what cabinet that is and if it's still available?

vertigo_ said:
those cabinets are discontinued now

I'm not entirely sure that they are discontinued.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/catalog/Acrobats-AUG07/GuitarCABS-p48-53.pdf

on page 51, it says in the bottom left corner next to that Rectifier cab that the Recto std. straight front is still available with the slant baffle, but, the new "standard" model comes with a straight front and straight baffle. But, then again, this catalog was printed at the end of last year for this year, and things could have changed (they don't list it on the "discontinued" page. The best bet is to call Mesa.

I own 2 of the straight front/angled baffles and love them. IMO they are way better than having the slant, because you can stack either one on top of the other, or put combos on it, with room to spare. Can't do that with the reg. slant front cab. (I had a Dual Recto Tremoverb combo housed on one of mine this weekend)

-AJH

Hey, Thanks for the info. As it turns out they still make them but just don't advertise that fact on their site. I just changed my order from a 4x12 Stiletto straight to one of those. It will suit my needs much better as I will use it alone and as part of a full stack on occasion. I hope it sounds good with my Mark IV.

Thanks!

You mean one of these.

IMG_2043.jpg

Great cab, I love it!

I'm thinking that the difference in internal volume caused by the angled baffle might make it similar in space to the Stiletto straight 4x12.... but I could be wrong. I assume that it still might not be as tight sounding as the Stiletto though.

Living_justice said:
I have the same but older cab, what advantages and disadvantages would be with this cab, lets say against a straight 4x12, in a band?.

An advantage to me is the upper speakers being angled project the guitar sound up towards my ears, and this really helps in situations where monitors are used to vocals only. I have heard that the straight 4x12's have a little more bass to them because of more internal area in the enclosure itself. But, I don't think it's a big enough difference that a mere eq adjustment couldn't fix if you really needed more bass from the cab.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
vertigo_ said:
those cabinets are discontinued now

(I had a Dual Recto Tremoverb combo housed on one of mine this weekend)

-AJH

Dude... thats so my Boogie you mentioned right there..... wicked! and guys, if you've ever A/B'd a combo (2x12 open back) vs a closed back cab (we had 4x12 but im sure 2x12 holds the same general characteristics), if you want really heavy tones out of it, then invest in the head and cab option versus the combo because it was evident to everyone in the room how the tonal characteristics had changed from one to the other... the tight low end chuggy rythm secret is definately with a closed cab. I tried it on the mesa 4x12 straight front baffled speaker cab as well as a 4x12 cab with v30s and closed is the way to go for tight chug that hits you in the chest like a 10 lb hammer

Back