Mesa 4x12 4FB?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muramasa

Reaction score
So I traded my 1960a cab for a Mesa 4x12, quite the steal I think. It bigger than my 1960a cab and I was wondering what it is, (an Oversized or the Traditional?) The only thing I can find is that the model is 4FB. I just wanted to know a little more about it, I can seem to find anything about them on the Mesa site and there are only a few sources online.

Thanks

Sounds like a Oversized Retro cab. You can tell the difference, the marshall 1960s are 30" tall the Retros are just about 33" (measured without casters).

I had similar questions. Hope this helps!

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35742

I have been thinking about selling my Marshall 1960 A and getting a mesa cab. My question is, will I notice that much of a difference? Its just my cab is basically brand new and I will have to go through the whole selling thing again! If the recto will sound better its worth it.
My friend has one, when I'm finished exams I try it out but would be interested in what people think??

Thanks

TREC said:
I have been thinking about selling my Marshall 1960 A and getting a mesa cab. My question is, will I notice that much of a difference? Its just my cab is basically brand new and I will have to go through the whole selling thing again! If the recto will sound better its worth it.
My friend has one, when I'm finished exams I try it out but would be interested in what people think??

Thanks

The difference is very audible. You won't have to a/b them. Even though the Mesa cab is larger, the sound is much more focused. Not to mention Mesa's quality control is arguably one of the best in the business... and Marshall has quite the opposite reputation.

fluff191 said:
The Mesa cab will crush your Marshall.

Absolutely correct in my opinion. I have 2 marshall 1960 vintage cabs with v30s, marshall branded v30s. I though how much difference can the cab make, I picked up a Mesa Retro slant 4x12, WOW, I wish I did this sooner, what a difference.

TREC said:

Thanks

There is a difference. I had to re-read the manual and eq everything again, and now I can use the suggestions in the manual. The Mesa cab sounds huge compared to the marshall cab, its been the thing I've been missing for my sound. Try one out if you can. I took my Triple Recto to a guitar center so I could try the Mesa cab. After trying one I knew its whatI wanted. Plus the amps were made with these cabs and speakers in mind.

Latest posts

Back