Mesa 400+ VS M-2000

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

Reaction score
Hello! I think I have finally convinced my bass player to buy a mesa amp. He seems to be interested in the 400+ and the M-2000. If anyone could give me their opinion on these two amps I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance!

Johnson said:
Hello! I think I have finally convinced my bass player to buy a mesa amp. He seems to be interested in the 400+ and the M-2000. If anyone could give me their opinion on these two amps I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance!

Hey Pete, my Bass player runs an M-2000 now and his old rig consisted of an Ampeg SVT Pro3 and a 400+ biamped.

This is how he explained the difference from both heads:

The 400+ is a great one-trick pony, 1 channel, all tube, EQ and 3 pre's with power tube section. The + signifies the added EQ and a few other upgrades such as low/high boost Mesa made from the original 400. Very good sounding solid Bass Head.

The M-2000 is a tube/solid state hybrid, 600 watts, 3 tube pre's with a SS power section. It also has 2 channels, each with separate graphic EQ's (footswitchable) that you can blend together OR use separately(channel 1 or 2). Also has gain/boost features for more punch/overdrive.
He loves his M-2000, says it's the best rig he's ever had and he's tried many rigs.
I have to agree with him, it thumps Mesa style. I would have to say from my take, the M-2000 is the way to go !

hope this helps you guys !

What kind of music do you guys play?

The 400+ is a one trick pony, perhaps, but for rock music it is the pony. The bass player in my old band used one and it was truly mighty.

If he needs more versatility it may not be the best choice.

We play rock type stuff: www.myspace.com/TbR
Im partial to the 400+ because it is purely tube driven...but hey im just the guitar player :lol:

I tend to agree with ya as a guitar player, all tube would be my route. From what I gather and hear the punch and clarity having a SS power section boosted with tube pre's makes the Bass a little more versatile in the tone department. Not to mention the separate graphic EQ for each channel that you can blend and footswitch in/out...pretty **** cool if you ask me.
He might not need it but I guess it would be cool to have that versatility.

Then again, there's a good reason Mesa has been making the 400 amp all these years !!

Decisions, decisons

I think originally he was leaning toward the m2000, but now he is leaning toward the 400+ (woohoo). Now he just needs to come up with the cash! :lol:

don't sweat the money!

it's worth every penny...i love mine still...5 or 6 yrs now

Alright, this post is a little old but, everyone left out a major factor, weight. I just switched over from the SVT3 Pro about 4 months ago. It's much louder and the tone is phenomenal. But, by the time you get it in a shock mount case, it is heavy and awkward to carry. Unless your a big guy, you're gonna need a little help lugging it around. It sounds awesome though. I guess when tone is on the line, you have to make sacrifices.

Back