Mesa 2x12 Vert questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnS77

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently playing a mark iv with an EV in it. I have recently had the opportunity to purchase a recto 2x12 vertical and really would like to put EV's in it to match my combo. Some questions... Does the widebody combo sit well or awkward on top of the Vert 2X12's? Are you able to run your combo speaker and the 2X12 simultaneously? Also, how hard is it to change the speakers. Id say on a 10 scale of being helpless to handy, I am about a 5. I am going to be looking to off the V30s that came in it stock. Is there a market for them used, and if so, around how much are they worth? Last question... My gigs are from 50 to 200 people, and my other guitarist is using a 4X12 while I am using a combo. Do you think It is genuinely worth it for the change in sound for me to go thru all the trouble of purchasing and swapping and selling and all that? Thank you !

The cab should fit fine.
You can run the combo and the amp by plugging them into the two 4 ohm outputs.
The speaker terminals are soldered inside the Recto.
As far as replacing speakers goes - well I've done it, I didn't think it was a problem.
I believe the v30s would sell on ebay for around $100 each.
In my opinion it would sound kickass through the Recto, but your milage may vary.

By the way, heres a pic with a wide head head:

000_0104.jpg

SnS77 said:
Are you able to run your combo speaker and the 2X12 simultaneously?
Trey Blue said:
You can run the combo and the amp by plugging them into the two 4 ohm outputs.

Be careful. Those two 4 ohm jacks run in parallel.

If the 2x12 has two 8 ohm speakers in parallel (making it 4 ohms) and
you run the 2x12 in parallel by plugging it into the 4 ohm jack along with the 8 ohm speaker of the combo into the other 4 ohm jack you get a 2.66 ohm load.

You could fry your Output Transformer.

If the 2x12 has two 16 ohm speakers in parallel you are ok when combining it with the 8 ohm speaker in the combo by plugging both the speaker in the combo and the 2x12 into the 4 ohm jacks.
With this configuration the total load will be 4 ohms aka it's safe.

gts is right. I was assuming that you would replace the speakers with 16 ohm and that your cab would come with a pair of 16 ohm v30 (mine did).

Hey sorry about the double post. GTS from what I've read ur pretty knowledgable, so if running the 2v30/1evm together is potentially harmful, once I swap to evms in the cab, can I run all 3 evms (2 in cab + combo) simultaneously?

What it boils down to is if you want to use three evm12l, you would need to have one 8 ohm (in the combo) and two 16 ohm (in the recto). The two speakers in the recto need to be wired in parallel to make them total 8 ohms, then you can use the two 4 ohm outputs from the amp safely.

He can also have 2 x 4 ohm speakers in series in the cab. The point is, be aware and conscious of the final impedance that you're connecting to your amp but don't be too concerned. Very low impedance, like 2ohms, is not recommended and will age your power tubes quicker. An impedance mismatch that is 4 ohms and higher should be fine, and some find it very musical. And most Boogie amps are pretty forgiving about mismatches, as are most tube amps. Somewhere between 8 and 16 ohms is ideal.

Ok, jeez. Now here is my other question. If I just got a 1x12 ext cab is it possible to run two EVMs at the same time? becuse they would both be 8 OHM, but there is only one 8ohm jack and two 4 ohm jacks on the back of the mark iv? Or would running both the EVM in the combo as well as the EVM ext cab simultaneously knock the 8ohm speakers down to 4, making it the proper impedance to plug into the two 4 ohm jacks? sorry for all the questions

SnS77 said:
Ok, jeez. Now here is my other question. If I just got a 1x12 ext cab is it possible to run two EVMs at the same time? becuse they would both be 8 OHM, but there is only one 8ohm jack and two 4 ohm jacks on the back of the mark iv? Or would running both the EVM in the combo as well as the EVM ext cab simultaneously knock the 8ohm speakers down to 4, making it the proper impedance to plug into the two 4 ohm jacks? sorry for all the questions

You can run the EV loaded 1x12 and the EV in the combo at the same time, no problem.
Plug BOTH into the two 4 ohm jacks.

Ok, I am done! Big thanks goin' out to GTS and all u other guys! I am now the owner of a thiele 1x12 with EVM off eBay (probably one of yours pack it up nice!) Anyone who has experience with this have opinions on the setup? It will be matched with Seymour Duncan loaded Les Paul - straight into the amp thank you very much :lol:

SnS77 said:
Hey sorry about the double post. GTS from what I've read ur pretty knowledgable, so if running the 2v30/1evm together is potentially harmful, once I swap to evms in the cab, can I run all 3 evms (2 in cab + combo) simultaneously?

Only if both EV's (or the V30's) are 16ohm run in parallel.
Note: Two 16ohm speakers in parallel with one 8 ohm in parallel = 4 ohm total

Trey Blue said:
What it boils down to is if you want to use three evm12l, you would need to have one 8 ohm (in the combo) and two 16 ohm (in the recto). The two speakers in the recto need to be wired in parallel to make them total 8 ohms, then you can use the two 4 ohm outputs from the amp safely.

+1 on what Trey Blues says.

There are 16ohm EV 12L's out there but I don't see them all that often. Most are 8ohm

SnS77 said:
Ok, I am done! Big thanks goin' out to GTS and all u other guys! I am now the owner of a thiele 1x12 with EVM off eBay (probably one of yours pack it up nice!) Anyone who has experience with this have opinions on the setup? It will be matched with Seymour Duncan loaded Les Paul - straight into the amp thank you very much :lol:

Congrats!

Put the Thiele on the floor, put the Combo on top of the Thiele, plug both into the 4ohm jacks and go for it!

Back