Mesa 2:90 Volume question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydesg

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I run the 2:90 at 10oclock and it sounds like loud TV volume.

Is this normal?

I have read people saying that even at 8 to 9 oclock its too loud and at 10 oclock its gig volume.

The tubes in the amp are all new, input is set to line level.
I used the AxeFX as a preamp with output 1 volume set at 1 oclock.
The amp simulation set at 0dB and amp master volume at 4

i dont own an axefx so i am not sure how much signal that means you are sending to the 290 but assuming that it is a good healthy signal then there is something weird going on with the 290....volume levels as you describe should just about be peeling the skin off of your face at that level......just saying. volume levels like that on the 20/20 will peel the skin off your face. so something aint jiving with your description.

Do you have the input signal strength selector set to "Line"?

From the manual:
We have also provided an input sensitivity switch that toggles you between instrument level
and the less sensitive line level position. If you have too much signal in your system by the
time you get to the 2:90, use Line Level. This tends to be the more common position. If your
Pre-amp doesn't have enough send level or you want to plug a guitar straight into the 2:90
use Instrument Level.

So if the signal is too weak, you use "Instrument", although the Axe FX is a preamp, it's definitely got line level signal, so that's not the problem - unless you're using the wrong output or there's something fiddled up in your Axe FX.
Sorry if I come across as Captain Obvious or if it seems like I'm pointing the finger at the Axe FX, but I don't know the Axe FX that much, and if the tubes are brand new, it shouldn't be that quiet.

Rule everything out and plug your guitar straight into the 2:90...switch it to guitar level obviously. How's that sound?

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I've just bought a used 2:90 and I've got exactly the same problem. The output volume is loud TV when the master vol is at 2 O'Clock!

I'm using a Kemper amp with it and so I'm using the line level input. One other issue is that clean profiles are distorting through the Mesa, as if it is being driven into overdrive (and it does this even when the output fromt hr Kemper is set quite low).

If I switch to instrument level on the 2:90 and plug my guitar straight in, the volume is still low.

Any odeas as to what could be wrong? New preamp tubes, power amp tubes?

jimmy5454 said:
Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I've just bought a used 2:90 and I've got exactly the same problem. The output volume is loud TV when the master vol is at 2 O'Clock!

I'm using a Kemper amp with it and so I'm using the line level input. One other issue is that clean profiles are distorting through the Mesa, as if it is being driven into overdrive (and it does this even when the output fromt hr Kemper is set quite low).

If I switch to instrument level on the 2:90 and plug my guitar straight in, the volume is still low.

Any odeas as to what could be wrong? New preamp tubes, power amp tubes?

If you are buying a used amp, always start with fresh tubes - it's the only way to work out if there are other issues with the amp. You will want the amp to check out fully if it is going to be a workhorse for you. So spend the dough and get some peace of mind (or some mind-blowing disappointment, hopefully not). Good thing is, all tube amps are repairable - unlike modern electronic gear with integrated circuits.

What Ando said is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Something is definitely up as at 10 o'clock it should insanely loud and more than loud enough to jam/gig with. At 2 o'clock...well that's complete face melting volume and I can't imagine ever needing anything that loud unless your outdoors with no PA.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I'd guessed at the very least I'd have to get a fresh set of tubes. I'm in the UK. Anyone know where best to get them (Eurotubes etc.)?

I remeber banzai music in germany (banzaimusic.com) did good sales on JJ's and other brands, maybe even Sovtek's and Mesa's. As everybody said: first thing to to when buying an used amp is to buy new tubes and the first thing when the amp sounds bad is to buy new tubes... and when you're in doubt first of all buy new tubes :D

Ah, Banzai music. Thanks. I'd forgotten about them. Used get a lot of pedal building stuff from there.

Latest posts

Back