Mesa 2:90 Power Amp - V1 versus V2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urBan_dK

Reaction score
I am looking for a power amp to match up with my newly acquired Triaxis.

My research has told me that there are two versions with a red light on the new one and blue light on the old one. Besides a different fuse location, different printing, different lights, and different tube positions - are there any functional differences or improvements made in the second version to make it more desirable?

I think I've seen this pop up in a btw manner and the response was "no it's just cosmetics and component placing". Wouldn't bet money on it though.

I have a "pop" when engaging 1/2 Drive on my 2:90 that is supposed to be normal (I swapped all the tubes, took it to a tech and there was nothing wrong with the unit, he called up some people so he could audition other 2:90s and they all popped) so maybe the Euro models had that and they fixed it on the new revision.

If you can get either one for a fair price and there's no difference in tone I'd go with the new one the old ones look a little too retro to me :D

Thanks, would be interested if any one else has any input or experience.

BTW do you have a V2 version?

Nope I have a blue pilot light whose serial number is something lower than 2100, so it's a pretty early model.

I'd ask mesa.
I had them send me a document where you could use EL 34's in the Class AB sockets and 6L6's in the Class A sockets.
The tube position was different depending on which version of the power amp you have.

V2 may also have had a removeable power cord.
I'm guessing they also corrected a few of the intenal power cable harness burnup issues as well.

My amp is an older one with the blue light.

Latest posts

Back