Mercury Magnetics Tranny Swaps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domct203

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Last November I had all the transformers (PT, OT, Reverb & Choke) in my Roadster changed to Mercury Magnetics iron http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=56810.

Now that I’ve had a chance to really play the amp over time and break in the transformers I wanted to post a thread about how happy I am with this all. While the changes are not "night and day" different, I cannot believe the overall difference in the feel and response of the amp, and especially the clarity. The amp still sounds like a Rectifier (which is what I wanted), but man does she play and project 100X better. String definition in high gain chording is also improved, as well as lower frequency tracking, especially in the Modern high gain mode in Ch4 (red channel). Before the transformer swaps I always fought the bass knob in this Mode/Channel. Now I can get the bass up to ridiculous levels (for a guitar amp) without flubbing out or making the amp extremely loose feeling (which is now well beyond the levels I’ll ever use).

I only use clean sounds for about 25% of my music, and was already happy with the Fat clean mode in the Roadster. The big improvement that I did notice in my clean tones is the Reverb. It is hard to describe without sounding cliché but words like “lush”, “full”, “warm”, and “3D textures” come to mind. There just seems to be this halo of reverb around every note I play now, as opposed to a reverb that previously kind of just sat on top of my tone. Again, not a "night and day" difference as the reverb was good to start with IMO, but noticable none the less.

The biggest surprise for me however is Vintage high gain mode in Ch3 (orange channel). When I first played the amp in this mode I really thought it was a “placebo effect”. There is a huge change in response and midrange clarity, as well as what seems to be (what I can only describe as) improved dynamic response/reaction with the speaker cab allowing an entirely new level of expression in my playing. Again, I'm not saying this has transformed my amp into something it is not, but not to sound cliché, pinch harmonics just “leap off the fretboard” (I don’t know how else to express that), and legato runs require less effort and are more fun to play. Pick attack dynamics are much easier to manipulate. Pushing the Mid knob results in sweet harmonics. Before the transformer swaps I was actually beginning to question my own skills at setting up my guitars. There were positions on the fretboard that just would not give up good harmonics or clear sustaining notes with the Roadster, no matter how hard I tried or how much volume I used, but not anymore! Don’t get me wrong, the Roadster could never replace the Mark I & Mark IIC+ lead sounds of my MKV, but I am no longer considering a two amp setup for any future live use. I’m sure that in the long run the $$ investment in a two amp setup would have exceeded the cost of the upgrades to the Roadster, not to mention the extra gear to lug around (no roadies here LOL).

I really can’t get over the difference in the amp, it has gone from an amp I really liked to play to an amp I love to play. The guys in the band tell me I’m nuts, and that the things I am describing are because I’ve improved as a player over the last couple of months. I believe the real improvement here is the relationship between player and instrument because I really enjoy playing my guitar so much more now, which in turn has created an overall improvement in my playing.

And to top it all off, this is with mostly stock Mesa tubes! The only changes are a 1950's RCA longplate in V1 and my trusty RFT in V2. The rest are a mix of Mesa Russian-2 (EH) and current Mesa (JJ) 12AX7's and (GRN) Mesa STR-440's biased at about 60% MPD (around 33mA @ 475V B+, Bold/Diode).

As I have stated earlier, this is not a night and day difference, but it is a noticable change for the better in the areas I mentioned. The amp just plays better, and does not sound as dark in the mid to high freq's.

Here are a couple of recent pics.

frontfull.jpg

front1.jpg

rearview.jpg

On both Recto 4X12's :)

size.jpg

(I think this will become my new Avatar 8) )

cablogo.jpg

On the shelf (there's a phaser on the far right, not in the pic)

shelf1.jpg

The "Brains" of the operation (it sure the hell ain't me)

board1.jpg

boardcase.jpg

I need to update my signature as I'm back to using the X2 wireless due to space in the rack, as well as a few pedal changes and using the STR-440's.

Dom

First - nice rig!!

Second, as you noted in my post, the tranny change really made a difference. I am not familiar with the rectifier series but I will be downloading docs to see if I can get a better understanding. But it is the definition and ability to pinch harmonics that really come out in the swap!

Congratulations.

Dennis

That is really a killer rig! Neat too. I love the decals you added to the cab as well.
I'm glad the tranny swap worked out for you, funny thing is I was going to pm you about this very subject a few days ago :lol:

Thanks guys. The rack is way heavy (heavier than the Recto 4X12) but setup/teardown for me is like 5 min with everything racked. If I'm really rushed I leave the rack on it's dolly next to the cab.

Now that we've really slowed down on gigs we're thinking about getting some recording gear. Once (or IF) that happens I'll post some clips for sure.

Dom

Thanks for the info on the MM trannies. I'm enjoying my mid mod on my TA-15, but I'm thinking about upgrading the OT & PT to MM's.

talltxguy said:
Thanks for the info on the MM trannies. I'm enjoying my mid mod on my TA-15, but I'm thinking about upgrading the OT & PT to MM's.

I can only say from my experience that upgrading the OT is the biggest bang for buck. I didn't need to get the PT for my .50 Caliber and I have many of the benefits I have with my Heartbreaker upgrade. I more or less had to upgrade the PT in the Heartbreaker to remove the annoying PT hum/vibration (it WAS that bad). However, since the HB uses a rectifier tube AND has the NORMAL/TWEED voltage tap switch I was told the PT was a great thing to do since it uses two separate coils instead of tapping off of one coil. Something about being the "correct" method or something. I am not really that techie, so ...

Dennis

Back