Maverick at jam last night

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asattwanger

Reaction score
O-yeah, The Maverick is a soooooo sweet!!!!

Took my head down and played with my budy last night. I ran into a single 12" Peavey Blue Marvel. My buddy played a Soldano 2x12 slaved into a 68 Bassman into a 15"....... I was very impressed that the Maverick's 35 watts help up well.

The clean tones on this amp are verything I remember about it. Just simply wonderfull at any volume, but at 3/4's volume they are like god!!! Just right at the egde of breaking out with my Asat. If this amp only made that sound. I would be happy.

But, as we all know it makes all kinds of sounds. The clean channel has alot of gain if asked. The lead channel? If you need more gain that what is offered here. There might be something wrong some where else in the chain. I killed some metal stuff like I never had before on a Asat.... But, that clean sound is the starting grounds for many great things.

Can't waite to get my effects in front of it. Dod 308 and BBE Main Squeeze compressor. The Maverick will become a 6 sound amp. I'm not much for actualy channel switching......

Maverick 2x12 here. I have it set up with a Pedal Snake for front end and effects loop. The clean channel doesn't mush out and it loves my pedals.

Maverick 4x10... this amp souns so good the best cleans and the best overdrive on the clean channel... so great tone...

I like the distortion channel too but the clean channel seems to me to be more aggresive and responsive.

Enjoy it!!

I've been interested in getting a 2x12 Maverick. GC here in Atlanta has one in pretty rough shape for $750. Is that about average price?
I've only played a Maverick once, but I was very impressed. My main rig now is a Dr. Z Maz 18. I just don't know if I want 2 amps with EL84's or not.

stratoquack- I have seen the Maverick you speak of at the Atlanta GC on N. Druid. It's been there several months, and now they have it stashed in the back. I tried to talk them down on that amp, because you are correct it is in bad shape. Cosmetically its OK, but electronically it was not functioning correctly at all and its missing knobs and has broken pot shafts. I found the same amp at Galaxy Music for $800, in great shape, and bought it. That is about the average price for the 2x12. last time I was at the GC near the Galeria on Cobb Pkwy, they had two Mavericks, one of which was the desirable 4x10 model. Not sure if they are still up there. I did not play them so I don't know if they had similar problems to the 2x12 at N. Druid. GC tends not to treat their merchandise with any kind of care, and will put zero repair work into anything they get used.

This 2x12 is my 2nd Maverick. Years ago I had a short head and 4x10 cabinet and foolishly sold the pair. I think I like this 2x12 version better - seems louder with the v30s. I swapped ot one V30 for a G12H30 and the bass response improved a lot. The V30s that were in it are pre-Chinese, which was a nice find.

I am one of those who love the clean channel of the Maverick and am so-so on the dirty channel. The dirt sounds OK with eth volume set low, but overall its really honky. I am using a Barber Tone Press, Small Fry and LTD SR through the clean and it all sounds fantastic.

notyalcer said:
stratoquack- I have seen the Maverick you speak of at the Atlanta GC on N. Druid. It's been there several months, and now they have it stashed in the back. I tried to talk them down on that amp, because you are correct it is in bad shape. Cosmetically its OK, but electronically it was not functioning correctly at all and its missing knobs and has broken pot shafts. I found the same amp at Galaxy Music for $800, in great shape, and bought it. That is about the average price for the 2x12. last time I was at the GC near the Galeria on Cobb Pkwy, they had two Mavericks, one of which was the desirable 4x10 model. Not sure if they are still up there. I did not play them so I don't know if they had similar problems to the 2x12 at N. Druid. GC tends not to treat their merchandise with any kind of care, and will put zero repair work into anything they get used.

This 2x12 is my 2nd Maverick. Years ago I had a short head and 4x10 cabinet and foolishly sold the pair. I think I like this 2x12 version better - seems louder with the v30s. I swapped ot one V30 for a G12H30 and the bass response improved a lot. The V30s that were in it are pre-Chinese, which was a nice find.

I am one of those who love the clean channel of the Maverick and am so-so on the dirty channel. The dirt sounds OK with eth volume set low, but overall its really honky. I am using a Barber Tone Press, Small Fry and LTD SR through the clean and it all sounds fantastic.

You're right, it has been there for several months. It looks so junky that I haven't even tried it out. thanks for the heads up on the other Mav's though. I've got a Rectoverb 1x12 that's in good shape that I'd like to trade for a Mav. GC actually quoted giving me $750 for the Recto about 3 months ago when I took it in on a whim and then backed out of trading.
Thanks for all the info.
Bill

Back