Matching Mesa Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hendog said:
Is there a tonal difference between the different colors?

Of course. There are differences between the same color tubes as well.

eudaimonia02912 said:
Two and two is fine. Put then in an ABBA pattern.
+1 also try them as BAAB so you can choose what you like best!!!!!! you won't hurt the amp in any way.... as long the bias switch is set to the right tube type (6L6 or EL34) good luck

rika_gd said:
and what happens if I use AAAA ?
There's no such thing as "AAAA".

"ABBA" means, simply, that the power tubes in his amp work in pairs.
The "A" refers to the OUTER pair.
The "B" refers to the INNER pair.

When replacing one tube that goes bad, it's usually best to replace the pair.
Keep the good one for a spare.

For example, if the left-most "A" tube goes bad, and it's a RED tube, you can replace it with any other RED tube. However, in a pinch, matching a RED tube in a pair with a GREEN tube (or any other color) won't kill your amp.

The colors serve ONLY to match tubes to one another in pairs.
That's all, despite what interweb nonsense is out there.

If you mean, can he use a matched quad, the answer is yes, but it's not necessary.

Hope this helps :D

MrMarkIII said:
rika_gd said:
and what happens if I use AAAA ?
There's no such thing as "AAAA".

"ABBA" means, simply, that the power tubes in his amp work in pairs.
The "A" refers to the OUTER pair.
The "B" refers to the INNER pair.

When replacing one tube that goes bad, it's usually best to replace the pair.
Keep the good one for a spare.

For example, if the left-most "A" tube goes bad, and it's a RED tube, you can replace it with any other RED tube. However, in a pinch, matching a RED tube in a pair with a GREEN tube (or any other color) won't kill your amp.

The colors serve ONLY to match tubes to one another in pairs.
That's all, despite what interweb nonsense is out there.

If you mean, can he use a matched quad, the answer is yes, but it's not necessary.

Hope this helps :D

yes, I meaned four RED tubes..I´ve never changed the tubes and maybe will do it in a month, so I was wondering if using four REDS will work as well as matching the pairs

All is well and reflects what one can fing on the diagram from the MkV manual. That means the 2 tubes in 10 watt mode don't need to be matched. Correct?

LPJunky said:
All is well and reflects what one can fing on the diagram from the MkV manual. That means the 2 tubes in 10 watt mode don't need to be matched. Correct?
Correct.

A matched quad is really the best for a push/pull (class AB) amp with pairs in parallel. Sure, two closely matched pairs won't hurt, but is not optimal.

Now I understand that the MKV is a Simul-Class amp, and that even my own bias reading show that the inner (class A) pair is biased differently than the outside (class AB) pair. But my amp still came from Mesa with FOUR (4) matched powertubes (all YEL). Same for my Roadster (all GRN). When I ordered two pairs from Mesa, I specified they were for a (friends) Dual Recto and received four (4) tubes of the same color. I would think that if it really didn't matter, Mesa would just throw in any two matched pairs.

I'm sure we could debate this all week, right up there with matching triodes for the PI :roll: :roll: .

YMMV

Dom

domct203 said:
A matched quad is really the best for a push/pull (class AB) amp with pairs in parallel. Sure, two closely matched pairs won't hurt, but is not optimal.

Now I understand that the MKV is a Simul-Class amp, and that even my own bias reading show that the inner (class A) pair is biased differently than the outside (class AB) pair. But my amp still came from Mesa with FOUR (4) matched powertubes (all YEL). Same for my Roadster (all GRN). When I ordered two pairs from Mesa, I specified they were for a (friends) Dual Recto and received four (4) tubes of the same color. I would think that if it really didn't matter, Mesa would just throw in any two matched pairs.

I'm sure we could debate this all week, right up there with matching triodes for the PI :roll: :roll: .

YMMV

Dom

sooo if I match a quad would be the best way to go?? I´ve been reading the forum from a time and there was a post about matching tubes and that there is no sonic add with that..

I'll agree due to the fact that Mesa matches their tubes so close. Mesa's six (6) color grades roughly equate to GT scale of 4, 5, & 6. (Source http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/Rating.HTML)

For me, I'll use a matched quad for reasons stated earlier.

It's your amp, do as you wish. I'm confident no harm will come from it, and in a band context I'm sure you can't hear the difference anyway.

Dom

One of my new Mark V powertubes blew within one week. :evil:
IMG_1652.jpg

I finally received the tube replacement today, four Mesa/Boogie STR-440 (Red) powertubes.
The instruction which is printed on the back stated that :
"It is not necessary to use all tubes of same color when replacing a set of four or six ..."
Picture003.jpg

Hendog said:
Scary said:
Hendog said:
Is there a tonal difference between the different colors?

Of course. There are differences between the same color tubes as well.

Ok, man... not too helpful... LOL

So what are the differences?
I guess that depends on the listener, state of wear, type of tube, presence or abscence of alcohol, and lunar gravitation. I swapped grey to green 450's the other day. I can't honestly say what the difference was, but it's noticable. There used to be a distortion chart around for the colors but I can't find it.

evilsaint said:
I finally received the tube replacement today, four Mesa/Boogie STR-440 (Red) powertubes.
The instruction which is printed on the back stated that :
"It is not necessary to use all tubes of same color when replacing a set of four or six ..."
Picture003.jpg

Well, there it is, straight from Randall's box :shock:

Just as was suggested, it's safe to use mixed pairs.

Dom

Resuming this topic, it would be the same to use matched pair or a quad..

Hi everyone,

I've got a really basic question for you masters of tone! I'm replacing a faulty tube on my Lonestar Special and I'm confused as to which one its pair is if I want to replace them both (I need to do this as I have no idea what color code the existing tubes are and the manual says you need to match the output tubes in pairs). I have a new set of Mesa EL84 greens to do the job. Originally I assumed the tube's 'pair' was the one right next to it.

I just need to clarify what you mean by ABBA, inner and outer pairs. This is not to do with knowledge of the wiring, but just as simple as looking at the order they appear at the back of the amp, right?! (I said my question was basic!)

On my amp, this is the one (underlined and bold) that has blown 1 2 3 4

(1,2,3,4 is as I look at the tubes on the back of the amp).

So if I need to replace them in pairs, am I right in thinking the blown tube's pair is NOT the one next to it, but the one at the far end? i.e. 1 2 3 4.

Sorry to be really basic on this question - this is the first time I've changed a tube and I want to get it right first time and have the best tone I can get from this awesome amp.

Thanks guys.

Mark

Back