Matching MarkV Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchulse

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a Mesa Express 1x12 (23") open back cab. Saw it
in a local shop and thought it might be a good match for the V head.
Turns out the 23" is a perfect match.
Width, Depth, grille cloth and grill screws match the head perfectly!
Plus it has the matching leather corners. The only thing different is
the Mesa badge instead of Boogie on the cabinet. Got it for 360.00.
Check it out here:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/ExpressCABS/Express1x12-23LG.htm

I'm really interested in the Thiele cab to go with my combo...anybody heard one of those before? Is it beefier in the bass area or just more relaxed and breathy?

Cheers

MusicManJP6 said:
Nice find! How's the open back sound?

You can order a 'boogie' badge to match the Mark V.

Let's see some pics!

how do you order a boogie badge? i want one!!

OK, I'll post pic with the head! (sorry)
Sounds similar to my other open back 1x12's (Boogie Mark
& Pearce cabs, both with EV12L's) Airy, decent bottom, but
not as dark sounding as my Recto or Roadster 2x12 closed back's.
Haven't tried it as an extension cab with my Mark II's, III or IV amps yet....

I have the Mark V combo and the Express 1X12 cab as an extension cab...same footprint as the combo so it's a nice little stack... I think I would like to get a boogie badge as well... Astethics aren't everything but it does help to improve the tone....

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ThieleCabW112/

Matching Thiele Widebody Mark V combo cabinet arrives tomorrow.

The widebody Thiele cab is a perfect match for the Mark V combo, IMHO. Adds a nice fat thump to the mix! It projects HUGE tones!! The size of the cab is perfectly matched to the Mark V too. Perfect little stack!. It has the MESA badge though, not the Boogie badge. Does Mesa charge for the badge??? (Anybody know how much??)

Is the wide body Thiele a new cab for Mesa? Don't see it on their website only the compact. What is the deal with a Thiele cab that makes it any different or better? Never heard one but may be very interested to try with my V head

My understanding is only the size is different. Same materials, etc. The new size matches the Mark V head and combo dimensions. The older Theile was smaller, by a littel bit. Maybe a slight different voicing?? You can "feel" this cab when you play, if you know what I mean!! :p

I understand that a 1x12" Thiele (or widebody Thiele) would add bottom specially when high gain is dialed in. I am looking at replacing a 2x12" THD cab (3/4) with CL-80 by one of these

1x12 Mesa widebody Thiele
1x12 Mesa 3/4
2x12 Mesa 3/4

I like the sound I'm getting now but the speakers can't stand the clean low frequencies. They start to fart or I don't know the exact word. Cardboard sound/rattle,... They have about 7 years of regular use everywhere. Since I can't try any and I have to special order, which one would you recommend for all style (except metal)? May be I should simply swap my speakers for something like C90, G12T-100, etc. So many choices...

Thanks,

Stéphane

:lol: :lol: Ahhhhhahahahaha!!! What does a speaker fart smell like??? :lol:

Here is a picture of the new widebody Thiele. It does add bottom.

Mark%20V%20with%20Thiele.JPG

JLBoogie said:
Is the wide body Thiele a new cab for Mesa? Don't see it on their website only the compact. What is the deal with a Thiele cab that makes it any different or better? Never heard one but may be very interested to try with my V head

The difference is simply that it is closed back and ported to the front. As opposed to the open back, closed back or 3/4 back designs. Most subs and bass cabs port to the front so I'm guessing you are going to get a more accentuated low end with this cab.

Jimmy,
how much bottom does it add?

is it:
"Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?" (haha sorry couldnt resist)

what does it do to overall tone structure. I see you are using it with the combo which has the same speaker but is 3/4 back (or is it considered open back)

oh also, do you have the measurements for both the combo and ext cab? WxHxD and lbs?
(its listed TBA in the price list i have)
Thanks

JLBoogie said:
Hey Jimmy, how does the cab sound by itself? How does it sound compared to the combo speaker?

It sounds very "big". Open backs always sound "airy" to me. This has a more focused sound where the bass is more punchy. Together with the combo speaker this is a great setup. I A/B'd them one at a time for an hour, trying to identify the differences. Sometimes it is hard to say, in words, what it sounds like but overall I would charactorize the Thiele as a 2 x 12" killer. I own 2 x 12" and 4 x 12" cabinets but I wanted a lighter setup and thought it would be easier to use the combo for light gigs and bring the thiele on gigs where a half stack would be used. Using the combo with the thiele sounds bigger than a normal 2 x 12" to me and I would be comfortable gigging with this setup. I am still learning the sound as I only got it today. I have a Bogner Cube 1 x 12" and can say I like the Thiele better. It just sounds bigger. Plenty of bottom end on tap.

I also have the widebody thiele holding up my MV. Adds a good amount of low end and gets the combo up in the air some so its easier to tweak (and hear) while at band practice. I off-loaded my giant 4x12 standard cab and dual recto head for the MV combo and 1x12 cab. My band thought I turned into a p%ssy until I fired it up. They all thought it sounded better than my old rig...and no one had to help me haul the 4X12 into the basement. Everyone wins.

Latest posts

Back