Master Vs Output

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to Mark V. I have a Mark V 90 head with Mesa Rec 2x12. I'm needing some help with Tone. Master vs Output is confusing me and could be a huge issue with my tone which I cant seem to dial in to my liking.

I have been running my Master volumes on each mode on Channel 3 at 9 and 10 on Channel 2 (90Watts). I keep the output on 9 for practice volumes. When I rehearse with the band I adjust to 11. However Tone changes and sounds majority of the time like ****. Should I be changing the masters more often than the Output? I'm scared to play live because I dont know what my tone will sound like. Any tips on this would be great!

Give this a try. Turn the "Output" (amp master volume) up to say 10 or 12 O'clock. Then start working with your channel Master Volume and Gain. IMO the amp works better with the "Output" up. It lets the amp breath and lets the power tubes work a little. My experience is the amp seems to be more consistent tone wise and you will be able to use the volume on your guitar to dial saturation. Channel 3 is the highest gain channel. But you will be able to go from sparkly clean to over the top drive with just the volume on your guitar. Also Single coil (Telecasters, Stratocasters and the like) can handle more gain and still get very clean with the guitar volume turned down. Humbucking pickups like on a Les Paul require less gain to clean up with the guitar volume.

Overdrive is not achieved by driving the channel Master into the Output. The amp will sound not so good if the Output is set lower than your channel master volume.

This was my amp after a Gig... Notice the channel master levels are pretty low but the Output is like at 2 O'clock. ...Outdoor gig... If I would have had to turn up anymore I would have had to bring down the Output and bump the channel masters. The tone was incredible, harmonics every where and feedback, the good kind, was awesome.

You may have to adjust your GEQ and/or your rotary settings when you change volume. What works good at low volumes usually doesn't at gigging volumes.

At low volumes you can get away with extreme settings on the GEQ. In fact, the V likes extreme settings at low volumes. If you're using the classic v shape, at bedroom volumes, you can max out the 80hz and 6600hz sliders and scoop the 750 down to the bottom line and run the other two pretty high as well, and it will sound good. But when your amp is loud with those settings it will sound harsh and brittle, kinda like crap. It's best to start from scratch when you go from bedroom volumes to gigging volumes. Not only is your volume louder, but now you have a singer, a drummer, maybe another guitarist, and that friend who just wants to hang out with you guys, so you let him play bass. So what sounded good at low volume in your bedroom is now getting lost in all the other frequencies your band is pumping out. You have to find what sounds good with your band. A lot of times what sounds good with a band sounds like crap by yourself. :lol: A tip for that, or what I do anyway. I like to basically just shrink my v on the GEQ. All the sliders above the center I bring them down a bit, and I bring up the 750 a bit.

Like anything, it will just take some practice and you'll find your way.

At loud volumes the GEQ can act very differently than at low volumes. When you're playing at home on low volumes you have more room to cut and boost frequencies and still sound good. When your amp is cranked, and I mean on 11, the amp sounds best without the GEQ, imo. Or just a small amount of boost or cut where you need it. The V is a great amp, keep tweaking and you'll find what you're looking for. :mrgreen:

Back