Master volume?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbypols

Reaction score
Does the master volume cut power before or after the power tube section? I ve been reading this article and it says that a majority of amps master volume cut power via master volume before the power tubes, except a few 'boutique" amps. This would probably lead me to beleive that mesa's master volume cuts power before the power amp tubes....

Any one know for sure???

The only Mesa amp I know for sure is my Road King. The "output" knob is the overall volume for the amp after the gain and master is set on each channel strip. This output is located BEFORE the power amp section.

I'm not sure about the others...but I would assume they are all the same way. A master after the power amp section would actually be an attenuator...kinda like a built in Hotplate.

RB

Bobbypols said:
Does the master volume cut power before or after the power tube section? I ve been reading this article and it says that a majority of amps master volume cut power via master volume before the power tubes, except a few 'boutique" amps. This would probably lead me to beleive that mesa's master volume cuts power before the power amp tubes....

Any one know for sure???
All of Mesa's amps cut power before the output stage by using a simple pot. All it does is knock down the voltage level to the phase inverter, thus driving the output tubes less.

The other companies with post output stage masters aren't really master volumes in the traditional sense, but power scaling or other clever bias conversions.

Another option for post-output stage volume reduction is a power attenuator, which cuts power to the speakers (e.g. THD Hot Plate).

Why do you want to know?

hal9000 said:
Bobbypols said:
Another option for post-output stage volume reduction is a power attenuator, which cuts power to the speakers (e.g. THD Hot Plate)

I'm no expert but a power attenuator is the only way I know of to reduce the volume after the power section. Read up on these before you think it will act like a volume control or you may be disappointed. Look at harmony-central.com reviews.

Two companies to look at are THD like he said above and Webber.

http://www.legendarytones.com/thd_hotplate_power_attenuator.htm

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

As far as I know (at least on my Triple Rec), the Master Volume is part of the FX loop circuit - so it would be pre-power amp stage.

I use a THD Hotplate and would definitely recommend it.

Just wanted to know so i could better understand the sound of pre amp and power amp distortion without getting the neighbours upset.

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead..

a good way to really hear the poweramp with little preamp distortion is to put the gain to 0, and crank the master output/channel output to max. then slowly bring up the gain until it's crunching. that sound is the pure tone of power tubes slowly failing! why do we love the sound of overloading and failing tubes? because! :twisted: thats why.

(keep in mind mesa keeps their poweramps quite cold(bias), so that most of the distortion will come from the preamp tubes).

i wish they wouldnt cold bias...i dont like depending on pre amp distortion...everyone has over killed it :oops:

Everyone has said go with the HOTPLATE, anyone tried the DrZ Airbrake?
I heard it was the best, because it can be used with any OHM setting, and Hotplates I guess are specific in that way...but I don't know....Just bringing up another idea!

Latest posts

Back