Marshall 4x12 vs. Recto 4x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Right now, my DC-10 is sitting on top of my 1960 slant. I am extremely happy with this setup, but am facing an innevitable cab purchase: my other guitarrist is going to take the TSL100 head I was playing through and will need the cab.

So I was wondering if any of you can describe the difference in tone between the Marshall 1960 4x12 and the Recto traditional and oversized cabs.

I can tell you guys that throught he 1960, the cleans are sparkling and as clean twangy as any Fender I've cloned or played through. The distortion is very smooth and the cab produces a nice amount of oomph in the low end. But how it sounds through the Mesa cabs is beyond me.

I can only comment on the the recto closed-back 2x12 horizontal cab w the V30s. I found it absolutely disappointing! The cleans were very muddy and flat and the bottom end was not very good and approaching flabby..

Im pritty sure this post as been adressed b4, look back over the pages, cuase there was a poll post and a great deal of discussion comparing the 1960a and the recto std and trd

Michael

I'm guessing that the Marshall 1960 you played may have Celestion G12T-75 which some prefer over Vintage 30s and visa-versa. So your preference maybe G12T-75s.

But just guessing :wink:

Remove the back panel of the Marshall 1960 and see what speakers are being used.

RR said:
I'm guessing that the Marshall 1960 you played may have Celestion G12T-75 which some prefer over Vintage 30s and visa-versa. So your preference maybe G12T-75s.

But just guessing :wink:

Remove the back panel of the Marshall 1960 and see what speakers are being used.

+1 basicaly i use to only play v30's, however latley i have gotten realy sick of the tone and switched back to 75's. I guess the real question should be what style of music are you playing and what kind of tone are you looking for. I have also noticed that the V30's in a recto cab are alot darker then normal V30 speakers.

Here are the differences in cabs, i am comparing a mesa traditional rec cab to a marshall JCM800 with 75's.

75"s Less lows and cut mid's better sparkling top and more defined. This cab sounds great with my Bogner XTC, nice smooth distortion, sometimes the top end is too bright for me but i just got back the treble on my amp.

V30's Great bottem end, alot of mids and a good top, but a little shrill in my opinion. These speakers are a little less defined and lack for cleans. Dont get me wrong, you can get good cleans, but the 75's blow away the V30's in this department.

Another choice is greenbacks or the 70th aniversery reissues which is a mix between the greenbacks and the V30's. I have a quad of these in a old mesa cab but i havent wired it up yet, speaking of which i will ask in the tech department for help on that.

Chris_Glancy said:
Marhsall cabs are half the price, u can get them fited with vintage 30's too

more robust

Actualy marshall cabs are more money, however you can buy the 1960 with the 75's for about $350 to $500 used depending on condition where a boogie cab will go at least $550 and up. The marshall used cabs with V30's usualy are more money then the mesa cabs.

Chris_Glancy said:
i live in england! mesa cabs cost us close to $2000, they are rip off

Ahhh that explains it, here in the states they are cheaper then marshalls new. That is not mesa charging you that much, that is your country piling on import taxes and then there is the shipping charges.

I own a Marshall 1960A (slant) and a Mesa Standard (oversized).
I use them with my solo50 (single rec).
No contest, the Mesa sounds way, way better under all playing conditions.
You need to A/B them dude, you will see.
8)

I own both a Marshall 4x12 and a Mesa traditional 4 x12 although I don't use the Marshall now... perhaps there's my answer!

Dual Rec into traditional is sweet.

siggy14 said:
Chris_Glancy said:
i live in england! mesa cabs cost us close to $2000, they are rip off

Ahhh that explains it, here in the states they are cheaper then marshalls new. That is not mesa charging you that much, that is your country piling on import taxes and then there is the shipping charges.

Serves him right!! Guess how much we have to pay for Aston Martins!!! :mrgreen:

If your talking tone then it is a personal choice.

I like them both but both are different.

If your talking quality of Cab then there is no comparison The Mesa kills the Marshall.

I sold my immaculate 1960 lead marshall Quad for $700aus earlier this year to get a Mesa Quad. A new Mesa Quad sells for $2295aus. A new 1690 lead Marshall is around $1400.

I sometimes regret selling the Marshall just because it was different but when you are limited with space you need to be realistic.

Latest posts

Back