Marshall 212 vs Mesa 212 for 2-channel Dual Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no.mop

Reaction score
Title says it all!

I hear a lot of good things about playing a Mesa head with a Marshall cab, but does the same thing apply for the 212s? I'd be playing with a 2-channel Dual Recto...

I'd most likely get V30's, but what is the difference in the sound of each cab? Bass response, tightness, etc?

I think Marshall 2 x 12 is equipped stock with Celestion G12T - 75s. Not sure though. I also know that they offer several different speaker options in their 4 x 12s.
Mesa's 2 x 12 rectocab comes stock with v30s and I've found the construction to be much more solid which means it is a bit louder, much tighter, and thumps like crazy. By contrast, Marshall cabs seem to have more give which results in more of a spongy feel. It is a matter of taste, really. I personally think Marshall 4 x 12s go really well with Mesa heads. I also like my Rectocab with a Marshall JCM2000 head.

I have to add something. I built a thiele 2 x 12 after hearing DrZs Z Best Cab (also a thiele) and I LOVE this design. It is front ported with a shelf which allows for maximum bass response. As a result, these cabs have a HUGE low end and a frequency spread much closer to a 4 x 12 than a typical close back 2 x 12. These cabs are what they are, i.e. they can't exactly replicate a 4 x 12, but they sound so huge for their size. Definitely worth checking out. (If you want to build one, there are plans on this site)

no.mop said:
Title says it all!

I hear a lot of good things about playing a Mesa head with a Marshall cab, but does the same thing apply for the 212s? I'd be playing with a 2-channel Dual Recto...

I'd most likely get V30's, but what is the difference in the sound of each cab? Bass response, tightness, etc?

I'm guessing the good things you hear about a Mesa head with a Marshall cab is because it helps brighten the amp up and tame the lows, which compared to a standard Mesa 4x12 oversized would be true.

I haven't played all the Mesa 2x12 models, but have a Recto 2x12 and Roadking 2x12 and neither suffer from the common criticisms you might hear about the oversized 4x12's like excessive boominess, flubbiness, too dark, etc.

Both 2x12's have a tight, controlled sound with more midrange then a 4x12 and are very directional. The Roadking 2x12 is brighter and more open sounding and because there is a porthole cut out in the back on the C90 side there is a little more spread to the sound compared to the Recto 2x12. Both cabs have at least as much if not more bass than a standard Marshall 1960A with GT-75's. Never played a Marshall 2x12 so can't comment on that...

Latest posts

Back