Marks and Gibson Burst Bucker Pick ups OK?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosasi

Reaction score
I'm about to pick up a new Gibson Les Paul Standard with the BurstBucker Pickups. Anyone here have that set up and have feedback on the marriage between these pick ups and the Mark amps?

Thanks

I've got burstbucker 1 and 2's in my LP and they sound fantastic with my C+ and IV.. you have nothing to worry about and lots of tone to look forward to!

I have a '97 LP standard in which I installed a Burstbucker ("Alnico V") in the neck position, replacing the 490R. For clean tones, I think it sounds amazing with my mark iv.

However, I find the tonal complexity of the Burstbucker in the neck position to be a bit over-the-top for a saturated distortion sound. Especially with the high gain of a mark, it can get muddy in a hurry.

But really, if you want serious high gain, you probably want to use the bridge pickup anyway. I've tried the Burstbucker V in the bridge position and it IS killer with high gain, but I honestly prefer the old 498T - it seems to have a little more bite.

I can't complain w/ my LP that also has BurstBuckerPros in it.

Yes! That is just what I wanted to hear. I have the P-90 / P-100 set up in my Les Paul Special which gives me a great biting / warm option that goes real nice with both my Mark's. My Fender has higher output pickups and they roar with my Subway Rocket. The Burstbuckers however will give me a completely new range to play with. I'm pretty excited to get it. Plus I'll have the king of guitars to boot.

Well that same subtlety from one pick up to another is nice in its own way. Just like the unique tone of the wood. I play electrics unplugged first to get a sense of the tone wood. From there you can always swap out electronics, but if the wood is bad to start your done.

Hey I'm sure no two same model Mesa amps sound the alike.

LP Standard with BBPros (aka alnico 5s) here, and mine sounds great with my MKIII Green. I like it so much, I almost never use my Paul with my other Boog, my beloved DC5 which oozes gorgeous tone ...but better with my Strat or Tele, at least to my ear. For whatever reason, I prefer the more aggressive nature of my MKIII's voice with buckers, and the LP's BBPros really deliver: from clean, to bluesy breakup, to saturated OD on the bridge pup, it is a lovely marriage IMHO. Do remember, though, that depending on which LP you're shopping, you'll get BB 1s, 2s, or 5s. Try them as they are different flavors.

Edward

I sold my Les Pauls last year, but thought I would weigh in on the subject since I do have experience with the Burstbuckers and Mark amps. The tone of the Burstbuckers (V's) is very good, but I found them to be more prone to feedback and noise, more so than other types of pickups I have tried. I ended up replacing all of my Burstbuckers with Seymour Duncans, and never had any trouble after that. I had three Les Pauls that were equipped with the following combinations: 59/JB, Jazz/Screamin Demon, Pearly Gates/Custom Custom. The Mark amps I used with the Les Pauls were a Mark III Simul-Class Red Stripe, and a Mark I Reissue.

Again, I love the sound of Burstbuckers, they strike a good balance between PAF and more modern tones. However, I did experience more noise and feedback with them, which is why I switched to Seymour Duncans. The Burstbuckers were wax-potted, but were much more noisy than the Duncans, especially under stage lights or around electronic equipment. As a note, I play with lots of gain and my styles range from heavier blues (Gary Moore) to instrumental rock/fusion. If your style calls for more moderate levels of gain it may not be an issue for you. Some players like to incorporate natural feedback into their style, I prefer a very quiet rig (or as quiet as possible), and found that Duncans suited my requirements better.

i think that any guitar thats the same league as gibson fender prs so on are what the mesa's are made for.... there shoud be no question that a $5000 gibson should sound good with a 5000 amp....

Latest posts

Back