Mark3 speaker extension cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastforded

Reaction score
So out of curiorsity, what should i know about mess extension cabinets before I get one?

I would like to try and find a mark3 specific cabinet with the same speaker to match my combo amp.

Any information about picking a good cabinet appreciated. not sure if the cabinets from mark 1 thru the mark 5 production are "interchangeable"?

Many I see for sale have no indictation what series they were for...or anything regarding a model number or production date... They just say "extension" cabinets.... Doesn't help much

The sizes would be different between different series cabinets so maybe I could easily I'd them by dimensions?

And it's really, it's the speaker that matters not so much the cabinet?

Thanks again
Patiently waiting...for my Mesa

That is some misinformation you have been lead to believe. Cabinet construction is as important if not more important than speaker choice. Having two speakers that are from the same manufacturer doesn't mean they'll sound similar, it's like saying all Marshalls or all Boogies sound the same. Also, two different speakers when put together can sound better than two identical speakers, that's why you'll find two different brands together in factory fresh cabinets offered by Mesa. There are many size Mesa cabinets, that's why there is no model specifics, but there is a standard size that fits under most Mark series combos & heads unless it's a "long" or "wide-body" chassis. An "open" back verses a "closed" back will sound different, and then there is the deep focused sound of a "thiele" designed cabinet which is my favorite type.

Markedman said:

That is some misinformation you have been lead to believe. Cabinet construction is as important if not more important than speaker choice. Having two speakers that are from the same manufacturer doesn't mean they'll sound similar, it's like saying all Marshalls or all Boogies sound the same. Also, two different speakers when put together can sound better than two identical speakers, that's why you'll find two different brands together in factory fresh cabinets offered by Mesa. There are many size Mesa cabinets, that's why there is no model specifics, but there is a standard size that fits under most Mark series combos & heads unless it's a "long" or "wide-body" chassis. An "open" back verses a "closed" back will sound different, and then there is the deep focused sound of a "thiele" designed cabinet which is my favorite type.

Makes sense when you put it like that...

I liked the thiele cabinets... But I haven't had a chance to really look at what I was playing through back then to know..

Wow this is going to be another long adventure findin a cabinet.

Thanks for the info. Looks like way more research is needed and some testing...

How do you test speakers properly?
Say it sounds good, and if it passed a visual examination...

What else do I need/should I check?

Use a VOM and test for resistance?

And we didnt even mention the ohms. Usually 4 ohms and sometimes 8 ohms for more power? Or is 4 ohms more power? I forget and thinking about ohms law in my head helps me not... Other than to think that 2 ohms is less powerful than 8 ohms?

V x A = Ohms. ?

Thanks

Fastforded said:
So out of curiorsity, what should i know about mess extension cabinets before I get one?

I would like to try and find a mark3 specific cabinet with the same speaker to match my combo amp.

Any information about picking a good cabinet appreciated. not sure if the cabinets from mark 1 thru the mark 5 production are "interchangeable"?

Many I see for sale have no indictation what series they were for...or anything regarding a model number or production date... They just say "extension" cabinets.... Doesn't help much

The sizes would be different between different series cabinets so maybe I could easily I'd them by dimensions?

Thanks again

Yes, absolutely ! Go for Thiele. There's occuring a legend everywhere only the old EVMs are sounding good inside. But I think it doesn't. MESA says the new ones are to biting and earbleeding. But it's said to be their strategy of comercializing.
I've reconed an old one and it doesn't sound worse but different and far more powerful in the midrange.
Note also, Thieles are sounding straight forward. As far you make a step aside, sound will "dissappear" the more you'll get far from. But Thieles as I've said are great and very handy, for transporting and carrying around. Eminence speakers are also said to be very fine into.
But try also a Marshall 1960 LEAD big cab. I've made the experience, that on very big stages as far you'll get apart from the stack of the guitar player the most you can't hear him, even if he'll be pretty loud (but on big stages there are in general very good monitorings). But as you said you're playing mostly in clubs, guitar setups can be VERY dangerous, for the whole band sound and the audience if you don't kow how to handle. Equalizing is the VERY, VERY best way. :wink:

megavoice said:
Fastforded said:

Thanks again

Yes, absolutely ! Go for Thiele. There's occuring a legend everywhere only the old EVMs are sounding good inside. But I think it doesn't. MESA says the new ones are to biting and earbleeding. But it's said to be their strategy of comercializing.
I've reconed an old one and it doesn't sound worse but different and far more powerful in the midrange.
Note also, Thieles are sounding straight forward. As far you make a step aside, sound will "dissappear" the more you'll get far from. But Thieles as I've said are great and very handy, for transporting and carrying around. Eminence speakers are also said to be very fine into.
But try also a Marshall 1960 LEAD big cab. I've made the experience, that on very big stages as far you'll get apart from the stack of the guitar player the most you can't hear him, even if he'll be pretty loud (but on big stages there are in general very good monitorings). But as you said you're playing mostly in clubs, guitar setups can be VERY dangerous, for the whole band sound and the audience if you don't kow how to handle. Equalizing is the VERY, VERY best way. :wink:

Interesting... Didnt really think about the "presence" of the speaker like that...if presence is the the right word...

I was going to try and find a matching can for my combo.. It had the black widow (made by electro voice???)
Then when I was thinking about it I started think f about the open and closed back cabs... I always thought an open cabinet was brighter and the closed back was darker???

Then this lead me to the question of exactly what sound I wanted... Bright leads and dark rhythms...
So it's like I need 2 different cabs but that's crazy... But my point is maybe there is no perfect one for me...

Any history on the thieles? Not sure how long they have been made...

My gut says find an cab that matches mine as far as the same mfgr date or close to it...
But then it's like 25 years old and I'm not sure how much I would like to recone a speaker

That's pretty brave of you...

And I didn't think about trying different mfgrs cabinets to change the tone

Thanks for the advice. Any more info appreciated!!!

Vintage Mesa catalogs always seem to push the idea of opting for the EVM12L for the combo itself, although I like the C90 in the combo and the EV in the Thiele 1x12 extension. That is basically a mini-me version of the mighty Mark series metal grill cab, but without having to lug a single object that weighs 100 lbs!

If you want to be period correct, you can tell the MkIII era Theile by its bright silver/stainless(?) steel corner covers, vs leather/black ones for the MkIV.

MkIII Renegade said:
Vintage Mesa catalogs always seem to push the idea of opting for the EVM12L for the combo itself, although I like the C90 in the combo and the EV in the Thiele 1x12 extension. That is basically a mini-me version of the mighty Mark series metal grill cab, but without having to lug a single object that weighs 100 lbs!

If you want to be period correct, you can tell the MkIII era Theile by its bright silver/stainless(?) steel corner covers, vs leather/black ones for the MkIV.

Perfect. This amp is loud as anything I have ever used. And crystal clear even at full crunch...

Wow I'm so impressed and happy to play thru something that doesn't hide my mistakes or sound so muddy if that's the right word... This thing is absolutely amazing...with only 1 speaker

nor said:
One speaker is all you really need. Louder than $%&@, that amp is...

Unvekievably loud and crystal clear and absolutely in crunch heaven...

Need some new tubes for sure. Thinking mine are circa 2006 from the date stamp...

Latest posts

Back