Mark VII?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was not hearing the stereo for some reason. Now after seeing the comment for right being the V and left being the VII. Not sure I like either of them. The V sounds less fizzy. VII has more definition but more fizz. Could be the mics and setup. I tried doing the Left/Right video thing, it never sounded like it did in reality.

Ok, I hear two different voices. Which is which?
Ha I spent a considerable amount of time reading through comments for clues on which is which. I think we use the order on the title? (Mark VII vs blank). If so, he starts off with the vii and a/b’s the rest of the time. I am of low intelligence and lose count fairly quickly, but I appreciate the videos! I have a III+, a IVB and a V. This guy seems to have many of the mark series amps, and his claim is that the VII will rule them all. Bold claim, but he is doing the work and has a lot of comps to go off of….His videos sparked my interest. I’ll likely give this amp a go after people start reporting on its reliability. I figure there will be something that needs changed or updated after the initial run.

Edit:
I’m wrong. I see the description now ugh. Now I have the amps confused lol

Last edited:
Ha I spent a considerable amount of time reading through comments for clues on which is which. I think we use the order on the title? (Mark VII vs blank). If so, he starts off with the vii and a/b’s the rest of the time. I am of low intelligence and lose count fairly quickly, but I appreciate the videos! I have a III+, a IVB and a V. This guy seems to have many of the mark series amps, and his claim is that the VII will rule them all. Bold claim, but he is doing the work and has a lot of comps to go off of….His videos sparked my interest. I’ll likely give this amp a go after people start reporting on its reliability. I figure there will be something that needs changed or updated after the initial run.

Edit:
Recordings in video is one resource but should not be the sole deciding resource. Nothing is better than hearing the amp in person. I was considering taking a long drive to try one out. Since I just got my second Badlander 100W head, I doubt it. Once you go stereo it is hard to revert back to mono. I did consider the VII may pair up well with the JP2C. I like the smaller size and huge OT. What I have heard in most of the videos has sparked my interests. I can wait as it is a bit more than I would be willing to dish out at the moment. Finding one in my area would be more difficult anyway. I would have to sell off some gear to fund it.

So I just played a VII at GC last weekend! Had a chance to check one out while I was in the city to tide me over while I wait for the one that I ordered. I was playing through an LTD and into a (new stiff) Mesa 212 Recto cab so things I’m familiar with. First thoughts!!

The cleans, like all Marks, are good but nothing that would make me sell a good Fender.

Like the Baby Fives, Crunch is very cool and usable. I dig it. I think my Treble Dump trick might work here too like it did on my Five 35.

VII mode is cool and I agree, different from any other Mark tone. Also I agree it would probably kill for rhythm when boosted, so long as you are OK with low mids. It may hide in a mix a bit. All that being said, NO, it does not push air like a Recto and personally I wouldn’t consider it a replacement.

IIB mode is great! Captures the essence of the vintage amps. I still think the IIB is a better classic rock amp than the C+ and this channel really adds to the amp’s versatility. It’s by far the most raw and open channel on the amp which is super fun to play even at low gain!

IIC+ mode is the BEST version of this since the OG. If you really want the C+ sound and can’t afford an original, this will totally get the job done where the V and JP versions simply do not. Not to say they’re bad tones (well the V is lackluster), just that they can’t fill a real C+ void. Internet warriors can yell all they want, talk to any guy who has owned both at the same time and they’ll all say the same.

IV mode May give the OG a run for its money, I’ll know soon! It’s a great, super clanky and tight AF tone. Even if it doesn’t turn out to be quite as good as the OG first blush I’d call it a legit replacement.

Yes I would say that the VII has a good helping of the raw, chewy, 3D feels of the originals. The notes have great bloom & jump off the speaker at you. This is a place where the V and the JP fell unfortunately short and to me are much more 2D. All that being said, the VII is not as organic as the OGs- it still has the more modern processed sound of the modern Marks. It’s still a net win on tone and feel though, and would be the only modern Mark that I’d want to keep in my stable. For playing live I think the VII would be a no brainer.

To draw a comparison I’d say the VII vs. an OG is on par with the quality of the MultiWatt compared to its closest cousin the Rev F. Both very close but just slightly more processed than the OG. Close enough that only the real cork sniffers (takes one to know one) will sweat the difference.

So I just played a VII at GC last weekend! Had a chance to check one out while I was in the city to tide me over while I wait for the one that I ordered. I was playing through an LTD and into a (new stiff) Mesa 212 Recto cab so things I’m familiar with. First thoughts!!

The cleans, like all Marks, are good but nothing that would make me sell a good Fender.

Like the Baby Fives, Crunch is very cool and usable. I dig it. I think my Treble Dump trick might work here too like it did on my Five 35.

VII mode is cool and I agree, different from any other Mark tone. Also I agree it would probably kill for rhythm when boosted, so long as you are OK with low mids. It may hide in a mix a bit. All that being said, NO, it does not push air like a Recto and personally I wouldn’t consider it a replacement.

IIB mode is great! Captures the essence of the vintage amps. I still think the IIB is a better classic rock amp than the C+ and this channel really adds to the amp’s versatility. It’s by far the most raw and open channel on the amp which is super fun to play even at low gain!

IIC+ mode is the BEST version of this since the OG. If you really want the C+ sound and can’t afford an original, this will totally get the job done where the V and JP versions simply do not. Not to say they’re bad tones (well the V is lackluster), just that they can’t fill a real C+ void. Internet warriors can yell all they want, talk to any guy who has owned both at the same time and they’ll all say the same.

IV mode May give the OG a run for its money, I’ll know soon! It’s a great, super clanky and tight AF tone. Even if it doesn’t turn out to be quite as good as the OG first blush I’d call it a legit replacement.

Yes I would say that the VII has a good helping of the raw, chewy, 3D feels of the originals. The notes have great bloom & jump off the speaker at you. This is a place where the V and the JP fell unfortunately short and to me are much more 2D. All that being said, the VII is not as organic as the OGs- it still has the more modern processed sound of the modern Marks. It’s still a net win on tone and feel though, and would be the only modern Mark that I’d want to keep in my stable. For playing live I think the VII would be a no brainer.

To draw a comparison I’d say the VII vs. an OG is on par with the quality of the MultiWatt compared to its closest cousin the Rev F. Both very close but just slightly more processed than the OG. Close enough that only the real cork sniffers (takes one to know one) will sweat the difference.
That was a great review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the VII. Now I am interested in trying one out but doubt I will find any at my local GC as it is a small store in NC. Have not been there in a few years, may be worthy of the trip.

Recordings in video is one resource but should not be the sole deciding resource. Nothing is better than hearing the amp in person. I was considering taking a long drive to try one out. Since I just got my second Badlander 100W head, I doubt it. Once you go stereo it is hard to revert back to mono. I did consider the VII may pair up well with the JP2C. I like the smaller size and huge OT. What I have heard in most of the videos has sparked my interests. I can wait as it is a bit more than I would be willing to dish out at the moment. Finding one in my area would be more difficult anyway. I would have to sell off some gear to fund it.
Agree! I wish the amps I chase were always available in the store. Sadly none of them are. I’ve tried (and sold or returned) I think every amp made lol. There is no other way to do it other than get it home and get to know it. If you don’t like it, sell or return. I accept this potential monetary loss as a cost of trying the equipment, and it acceptable to me. It always starts with a video though right? I spend months digging through videos, reading comments etc before making a purchase. Reviews are a huge part of the analysis, but in the absence of the real thing, the video is what most of us use when making purchases. There are no mark iii’s on the shelf anymore! Always buying based on videos in my world anyway. I have a disease I’m told :/

Agree! I wish the amps I chase were always available in the store. Sadly none of them are. I’ve tried (and sold or returned) I think every amp made lol. There is no other way to do it other than get it home and get to know it. If you don’t like it, sell or return. I accept this potential monetary loss as a cost of trying the equipment, and it acceptable to me. It always starts with a video though right? I spend months digging through videos, reading comments etc before making a purchase. Reviews are a huge part of the analysis, but in the absence of the real thing, the video is what most of us use when making purchases. There are no mark iii’s on the shelf anymore! Always buying based on videos in my world anyway. I have a disease I’m told :/
Yep, The Sessions video sold me on the JP-2C. It may have been in German but this guy was messing around with the amp similar to what I would do. As for the Badlander, not much out there when I bought mine. Just one video. Did not give me any idea how much dynamic the amp would have and is it just a one trick pony. Nope, Best amp I ever bought with Mesa's logo. It may not have all the fluff and stuff but that matters not if the amp sounds like crap.

For those that felt their JP2C was not the amp you thought it was. It may seem somewhat limited in its features. It is not a Swiss pocket knife of amps. It may even seem like it really has only two channels, clean and lead. That is true. CH2 and CH3 are just variations in gain characteristics. Where it gets lost in comparison to the originals or even some of the other Marks is in its voice; depth, grind, presence, gain and power. Where is the 3D sound? That is more of a Siuml-Class thing I believe. There is plenty of Mojo to be found in the JP2C that many have not discovered. Some amps were shipped with the STR440 tubes and later builds they shifted to the STR443 tubes. I felt the STR440 tubes sounded better than the STR443 tubes. There is nothing that says you need to stick with those power tubes. Warranty just states it must be a Mesa certified tube. Now you have two options. Current production 6L6GC tubes made for TAD in the red base series sold by Mesa as STR448 will do the job quite well. I recommend requesting the green or gray bias color codes. My second set of the STR448 came in as reds, not enough power tube distortion with the reds. Grays on the other hand were an eye opener which is what I got with the first quad of the STR448. The second set was just for backup. They did find a home in my MWDR though. Now for the second option but it will cost you. It does require going through hoops and such. You will need to start the process by email to customer service. Mesa does have a limited supply of the famed STR415. With patience, and if they still have any left, you can get a quad of the STR415. The STR448 in greens or grays will be the next best option. There is a third option but expensive too.

Considering how ridiculously expensive the STR440 have become, $200 a pair is not worth it. Those tubes were not the best choice for the JP2C to start with. May as well get a set of the STR415 instead.
STR441, not a good match. STR443 made me loose interest in the JP2C. STR448 rekindled my interest in the JP2C and now I had that itch to get NOS STR415. Those STR448 are **** close. The catch, the STR415 is tighter. STR448 has a softer low end but with a bite. We are talking about that low end grind you cannot get with the STR440 or the STR443.

My Mark V90 can't touch it. That was when the JP had the STR440 on board. The STR448 broadened that tone gap even further and the STR415 was the next step up. I was able to get some resolve with the Mark V with what was lame in the JP2C, the STR441 in green bias code. I had some STR440 in green as well so I paired those together and the V is getting as close to the JP2C but still not there.

I still have interest in getting the Mark VII. I may just buy what is in stock vs waiting for the one to match the vertical 212 I just got. I was after the creme/black jute faceplate option. I can always change that later once Mesa gets caught up. I did that with the JP2C so that is no big deal.

Will see what the next step will be. Wait or just get it in all black and change the faceplate some other time.

Edit:

I disagree with the Reviewer’ conclusion. I own 3 IIC+s, 2 Mark Vs (head and a custom bubinga hardwood combo); and tested my fave of the IIC+s, Mark V head against VII and came away that the V sounded better to my ears than the VII; and the V’s IIC+ mode more akin to the V’s emulation of it— so I left the store without making the VII purchase. I have since gone back a few more times to test the VII and while a great amp, it did not compel me to buy it and just keep my Mark Vs

I disagree with the Reviewer’ conclusion. I own 3 IIC+s, 2 Mark Vs (head and a custom bubinga hardwood combo); and tested my fave of the IIC+s, Mark V head against VII and came away that the V sounded better to my ears than the VII; and the V’s IIC+ mode more akin to the V’s emulation of it— so I left the store without making the VII purchase. I have since gone back a few more times to test the VII and while a great amp, it did not compel me to buy it and just keep my Mark Vs
I have owned a V and a III red strip that had the + mod from Mesa Boogie and the VII to me at least is better than both of those, and significantly better than the V. To me the V was good at many things but really failed to be great at anything. To me the VII delivers on all aspects and has been a home run.

Latest posts

Back