Mark V with 6CA7 or EL34? Any opinions if you tried them

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SCSurfAddict said:
I agree with skoora. It’s the music you play that guides you. I’ll bet that everyone has a genre bias. That genre bias will cause you to favor one tube, and its tonal characteristics, over another. I prefer the el34’s in the mark v. I like a tight bass but NO ICEPICK! That desire is driven by my bias to older rock/metal. Therefore: the el34 :)

That's why I use 6CA7 tubes, you get the big tight bass or 6L6, even tighter.... No ice pick highs and thick midrange. Replaced all my EL34s.

With the 6CA7 tubes where do you set the bias switch (6L6 or EL34)? Do you run full or variac power? Thanks

EL34s for me - to my ear it made the MKV sound more classic Mesa , like my MK2 in feel

Channel 1 - its fine I don't use it much I do agree with many the 6L6s do work better on this channel but I do have a nice clean - edge of crunch dialed in

Channel 2 - I use the MK1 mode and I just LOVE it tons of gain , I use the GEQ on faders to boost the treble bunch best sound I have ever had with single coils and rocks hard with my Tele. reacts well to the guitar Vol knob :)

Channel 3 - MKIV mode great gain cleans up really well also cuts nice , not muddy add preset GEQ and or boost for even more sounds

Latest posts

Back