Mark V vs. Mark IV for ease of use.... finding the tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddf007

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been talked about before, I just didn't find it. My apologies for doing it again if so.

I owned the Mark IV and I did like it. I just found that it took a bit too much tweaking to find the tone I was looking for, whatever that might be at the time. I kept finding tones that made me say "that sounds pretty good", but nothing that ever made me say "THAT'S IT". I got rid of it because of that. Now I'm curious about the Mark V. I'm feeling sure that once I get one I will be doing the same thing I did with my Mark IV, Road King II, Roadster, and SOMEWHAT the Triple Rec, but not as bad. Just looking for a little insight from anyone that's owned both.

IMO Mesa's in general are all tweakers. I have had my Mark V for over a month and still tweaking. In fact LOL finally using the sliders and setting them to pre-set! :D

Edit typo: NOT using preset but using the sliders to adjust my tone.

Mesas are all about tweaking as you know and that's a good thing. You have so much at your disposal to play with so that you can change your tone and color as many times as you change your tastes. I have never owned any of the other Mark series amps but the new Mark V is the most gorgeous sounding, looking, and smelling (yes I said it) amp I have ever had the honor of owning.

The Mark V is like this:

You start with tone heaven on every channel.
Its easy to shape the sound on every channel.
You'll be smiling while playing every channel.
And you'll thank your lucky starts that you bought this amp.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Yeah, they are tweakers, and yes that's exactly why they are so versatile. I also play many other amps and find that I tend to play the ones that I can just plug in and the tone is RIGHT THERE all the time. I just stay intrigued with the Boogie products though. I just keep buying them and I'm sure I always will. They're great amps, they just require a bit more effort.

toddf007 said:
I'm sure this has been talked about before, I just didn't find it. My apologies for doing it again if so.

I owned the Mark IV and I did like it. I just found that it took a bit too much tweaking to find the tone I was looking for, whatever that might be at the time. I kept finding tones that made me say "that sounds pretty good", but nothing that ever made me say "THAT'S IT". I got rid of it because of that. Now I'm curious about the Mark V. I'm feeling sure that once I get one I will be doing the same thing I did with my Mark IV, Road King II, Roadster, and SOMEWHAT the Triple Rec, but not as bad. Just looking for a little insight from anyone that's owned both.

The tweaking will be much easier since you owned a mark IV, to me the mark V is a lot easier to tweak. I used to owned the mark IV also.
Just apply the same technique you used to get your tone on the mark IV and you will be surprise how good and better the Mark V sounds.
Good Luck

Interesting that a lot of people who own the Mark V use the IV on it primarily. I haven't had it long enough to see which I prefer but the V sounds amazing so I'm happy either way.

No problem Toddf007 and good question. That is what this forum is all about.

I have owned a MkIV Widebody Combo amp for about 15 years (still do) and purchased a MkV Combo amp about 8 months ago.

Recently, in another thread on this forum I was asked to A/B my MkIV with my MkV amps. I have been doing this for the last several days, but am not finished yet with my journey.

Once complete, I will reply to Primal's post (and/or this post) with my overall assessment.

In the meantime, I agree with other posters on this thread. Yes, in general, Boogies are tweakers compared to many other amps, but IMO you will be rewarded with that tweaking.

Also, in general, the MkV is much easier to find great tones compared to the MkIV largely due to its more intuitive layout. MB also provides an excellent user manual for the MkV and I strongly encourage you to review it from the MB website and familiarize yourself with its excellent features.

BTW....I also used to own a Road King head and cab, but quickly realized that I missed the "Mark Sound" that I could not achieve from the RK. However, if you prefer the "Rectifier Sound" you will not find it with the Mark Series.

My full assessment of the MkIV versus MkV comparison to follow.....

MBJunkie said:
No problem Toddf007 and good question. That is what this forum is all about.

I have owned a MkIV Widebody Combo amp for about 15 years (still do) and purchased a MkV Combo amp about 8 months ago.

Recently, in another thread on this forum I was asked to A/B my MkIV with my MkV amps. I have been doing this for the last several days, but am not finished yet with my journey.

Once complete, I will reply to Primal's post (and/or this post) with my overall assessment.

In the meantime, I agree with other posters on this thread. Yes, in general, Boogies are tweakers compared to many other amps, but IMO you will be rewarded with that tweaking.

Also, in general, the MkV is much easier to find great tones compared to the MkIV largely due to its more intuitive layout. MB also provides an excellent user manual for the MkV and I strongly encourage you to review it from the MB website and familiarize yourself with its excellent features.

BTW....I also used to own a Road King head and cab, but quickly realized that I missed the "Mark Sound" that I could not achieve from the RK. However, if you prefer the "Rectifier Sound" you will not find it with the Mark Series.

My full assessment of the MkIV versus MkV comparison to follow.....

Thank you for this very helpful post. I can't wait to hear your comparison. Your post brings up the second thing that's been running through my head. It's the whole combo vs head. In most cases I prefer the head form just because I have the ability to "find" the cabinet and speakers that work best with that amp. I love the convenience And simplicity of the combo. I got the Roadster that I had as a 212 combo and hated the way it sounded so I always used it with another cabinet. Then that convenient combo became EXTREMELY inconvenient. That's the only MB I've tried as a combo. I loved that amp, it was just too inconvenient to keep. Since then I've been scared to death to buy another MB combo. I would love to think the Mark V sounds best as a combo with MB's speaker. Same is true for the LoneStar Classic and the ElectraDyne, two other MB's I want to buy. I do have many cabinets laying around with all kinds of speakers to choose from. I'm just starting to really WANT to find fantastic combos. One amp that I've got both the head/cab and the combo is the 65 Amps Lil Elvis and I can honestly say that amp sounds the SAME either way. In that case the combo is the perfect choice.

You guys have all been great. I really appreciate all of your input.

I'm running my Mark V through a 1x12 3/4 back MB widebody cab at home and for Jazz, Rock, and anything else type gigs. I love having the head version because I use it on my MB 4x12 for a metal band. The 1x12 combo is probably the best 1x12 out there considering the head is the best head out there IMO so you can't go wrong with either. You just need to think about what you want to use it for primarily. :wink:

I have spent several hours A/Bing my MkIV Widebody 1x12 combo with my MkV 1x12 combo the last few days. I will start with a channel 3 comparison since that is what most people are requesting:
I am running both amps with stock MB preamp tubes and 4-6L6 power tubes. I am using a HSS guitar with pickup selected between single coil mid and HB bridge.

MkIV Widebody Combo Settings: Full Power, Pentode, Simulclass, Harmonics Selected
Channel 3
G-7 3/4 Pulled, T-7 3/4, B-3, M-6, D-6 Pulled, P-5 Pulled
MkV Combo Settings: Full Power, Pentode
Channel 3 - MkIV Mode, 90W
G-6, T-7 3/4, M-6, B-3, P-5
Note: The settings of my V are following the comparison guideline to a MkIV given in the user manual. The gain of the V is set to match the drive of the MkIV as recommended.

Truthfully, with these settings, my MkIV and MkV amps sound virtually identical. The V may be slightly brighter (not thinner), but that can easily be remedied (if it is problem for some) by switching out of bright to normal or with minor adjustment of the treble or presence controls. Personally, I prefer the sound of the V with the bright engaged for most applications. Kicks Butt!

The next test was to compare my MkIV with MkV Extreme mode. The only change was to push in the presence control of the IV, switch to Extreme Mode on the V and reduce volume of both amps! Once again the sounds of both amps were nearly identical. Both sound great.

I also compared both amps in triode mode, different power settings, engaging GEQ, etc...clearly, the V is able to cover the ground of the IV in channel 3 and in my opinion....beyond.

I also spent considerable time comparing both amps in Channel 1 and 2. While I am able to achieve great sounds out of the IV in channel 1 and even channel 2....it does not offer the excellent and useful mode choices that the V does in both of these channels. Secondly, I have always experienced a loud "pop" when switching from Rhy2 (set to high gain crunch) to Rhy1 on my MkIV. The MkIV shares the Mid and Bass tone controls for Channel 1 and 2. I don't know if that is the reason for the "pop" or not, but it has always existed with my IV. I have never experienced any "pop" whatsoever when switching between all channels of the V as long as I do not switch from 10W to either 45W or 90W (as mentioned in the manual). This is not a problem at all for me because I either footswitch with all channels in 10W or any combination of 45W / 90W.

Regarding, combo or head / cab.....I prefer the combo, but only because I don't like hauling cabs around. Both sound great.

Hope this helps...

MBJunkie said:
I have spent several hours A/Bing my MkIV Widebody 1x12 combo with my MkV 1x12 combo the last few days. I will start with a channel 3 comparison since that is what most people are requesting:
I am running both amps with stock MB preamp tubes and 4-6L6 power tubes. I am using a HSS guitar with pickup selected between single coil mid and HB bridge.

MkIV Widebody Combo Settings: Full Power, Pentode, Simulclass, Harmonics Selected
Channel 3
G-7 3/4 Pulled, T-7 3/4, B-3, M-6, D-6 Pulled, P-5 Pulled
MkV Combo Settings: Full Power, Pentode
Channel 3 - MkIV Mode, 90W
G-6, T-7 3/4, M-6, B-3, P-5
Note: The settings of my V are following the comparison guideline to a MkIV given in the user manual. The gain of the V is set to match the drive of the MkIV as recommended.

Truthfully, with these settings, my MkIV and MkV amps sound virtually identical. The V may be slightly brighter (not thinner), but that can easily be remedied (if it is problem for some) by switching out of bright to normal or with minor adjustment of the treble or presence controls. Personally, I prefer the sound of the V with the bright engaged for most applications. Kicks Butt!

The next test was to compare my MkIV with MkV Extreme mode. The only change was to push in the presence control of the IV, switch to Extreme Mode on the V and reduce volume of both amps! Once again the sounds of both amps were nearly identical. Both sound great.

I also compared both amps in triode mode, different power settings, engaging GEQ, etc...clearly, the V is able to cover the ground of the IV in channel 3 and in my opinion....beyond.

I also spent considerable time comparing both amps in Channel 1 and 2. While I am able to achieve great sounds out of the IV in channel 1 and even channel 2....it does not offer the excellent and useful mode choices that the V does in both of these channels. Secondly, I have always experienced a loud "pop" when switching from Rhy2 (set to high gain crunch) to Rhy1 on my MkIV. The MkIV shares the Mid and Bass tone controls for Channel 1 and 2. I don't know if that is the reason for the "pop" or not, but it has always existed with my IV. I have never experienced any "pop" whatsoever when switching between all channels of the V as long as I do not switch from 10W to either 45W or 90W (as mentioned in the manual). This is not a problem at all for me because I either footswitch with all channels in 10W or any combination of 45W / 90W.

Regarding, combo or head / cab.....I prefer the combo, but only because I don't like hauling cabs around. Both sound great.

Hope this helps...
Nice tasteful review MBJunkie. Thank you for taking your time to do a good comparison review. I think this will help many people out.

Thanks toddf007. Much appreciated!

Hopefully, my comparison will help others as well. If not, no problem. Truthfully, I enjoyed firing up my IV again to do the comparison. I hadn't fired it up since owning my V, but the IV is truly a fine amp in its own right! :D

Latest posts

Back