~~Mark V vs. Axe Fx Ultra~~

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think I can comment on this since I just recently spent almost a year and a half with only an AXE FX. I sold my first Mark V head to afford the AXE. It's a GREAT piece of gear! Lots of fun to have so many amp sims and FX at your finger tips. But, in the end, I got tired of tweaking and going through the menus. I also always leaned towards the Mesa models and only used delay for FX (wah and OD some too). So, for me it was just a matter of not needing all the bells and whistles of the AXE. I can't say the AXE nails a tube amps response or feel entirely, but it gets VERY close to the overall tonal output. The new AXE II is sure to get even closer, but even more overkill for me at least.

I'm excited to get back to a Mesa after so long. I'm receiving a brand new Mark V head this week!

Congrats on the new amp, Music Man! Welcome back to the Boogie world! 8)

I'm still in the same boat as my original post here so I haven't pulled the trigger on any purchase yet. I keep seeing other gear that makes me want to spend money too.. [before I can even get it saved to purchase the Axe Fx of any kind]. :twisted:

..been thinking 'bout another Mark III to add to my collection as well, soooo...*sigh*..all the options. :lol:

I had an Axe-FX Standard and eventually returned it. It is a great piece, more than I would ever need or use. In fact I returned it because I spent hours upon hours tweaking it, and I just didn't want to spend that much time tweaking. I'm just into that anymore and like things simpler (now I have a Mark V... simpler?). I don't use that much in terms of effects anymore anyway, so it wouldn't work for me. Just my 2 cents.

Supreeth said:
Personally I'll be happy with either, but the combination of the Mark V and AFX is pure tonal bliss IMHO.
+ 2 !

The Axe 2 is easier to tweak now,more tube organic.

But still wont split with Mark V or AXE2

With this combination there is virtually nothing you cant play in the guitarworld(well if YOU(ME) can what is usually my limitation

Roland

I'm STILL Axe Fx II-less!

I'm going nuts on deciding what my next amp purchase will be. Way too much to decide from!
1.gif

Right now I'm looking at a few of the older Boogie preamps to run in my rig with one of my IIIs. If I don't go that route ( which is far cheaper ), then I'll probably settle with the Axe FX II. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend the kind of funds of the Mark V on another Mark series amp. I'd rather just go all the way and do it AF style.

We'll see....this G.A.S. changes far too often.
7.gif

Honestly and have the AXE2 now for about 4 month I think my journey is (almost**) over.

I have many amps (Vibro Champ,Dlx Reverb,JC-120...) but I have stored them all away(of course apart Mark V) and will sell some.

The AXE2 can now even do the sparkly crystal cleans very well.And tweaking time is half

So I am a happy camper

Roland

almost** :still not sure wether I should run AXE2 through FRFR(now) or a tube power amp

I currently own the Mark V and Axe FX Ultra. I went away from the Mark V for a few months and went Axe FX only. I love the sounds it produces and the effects are as good as ANY on the market today. It produces many sounds that the Mark V cannot, and that is why I keep it. Having said all that, I missed my Mark V greatly. It just has the sheer balls and tone that I just can't replicate on the AxeFX. I come close, but not all the way there. Axe FX experts know how to dial them in through all those very complicated parameter menus that I never dive into on my Axe, I'm more of a simple user who hasn't the time or patience to do such. I guess my take is, both are truly awesome pieces of gear and I love both. If you are a person that can have both, I highly recommend it.

Latest posts

Back