Mark V Tone - Channel Settings for Cover Band

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carpdawg

Reaction score
Hey,

I’m not a professional musician, but I like to play out with some friends of mine. We used to play out about 10 yrs ago and are now getting back into it. We usually buy a few kegs and take donations so people will stick around and listen to us…

We have always played covers (poorly at times) but always had fun…not sure if our audiences had the same experiences.

I bought a new Mark V head about 2 weeks ago and would like to ask some questions about some popular guitar tones. It goes into a 4x12 Rec Cab. I’ve got some Boss pedals such as OD, Chorus, Flange, Delay, etc…

If anyone has any experience with setting tones for the following bands please let me know…I don’t want to have to reinvent the wheel.

Pearl Jam – 10, Vitalogy
Nirvana – Nevermind
Van Halen – Panama – ish, 1st album, Unchained…
STP – Plush, Interstate Love Song, etc
Guns & Roses – Appetite – Sweet Child of Mine, etc…
ZZ Top – La Grange, Pearl Necklace, Tush
Allman Bros – Blue Sky, Ramblin’ Man, One Way Out
Skynard – Sweet Home Ala, Simple Man, Freebird, etc
Red Hot Ch Peppers – Under the Bridge, etc
Neil Young, Powderfinger, Rockin in a Free World, Cortez the Killer, Hey Hey My My, etc…
Foo Fighters – Everlong, etc, Baker Street Cover
Rolling Stones – Sympathy, Start Me Up…
Metallica – we don’t play it out, but AJFA, and MOP…just curious what settings may be good on a Mark V. I know they used Mesas back then…

Also I’m looking for easy songs to learn, that are easy to sing, which have easy bass lines, which are crowd pleasers…If you’ve got any ideas, let me know. I appreciate your response, other than “your set list sucks”….

Thanks

Metallica

Crunch Tone:

Gain - 4:30
Master - 12:00
Presence - 10:00
Treble - 2:45
Middle - 10:45
Bass - 7:45
Output - 12:30
Full Power
90 Watt
Triode
Bright
C+

GEQ
80 - Bottom of slider just above middle line
240 - At middle line (no adjustment)
750 - Bottom of slider slightly above bottom line
2200 - top of slider slightly below middle line
6600 - at middle line (no adjustment)

NO FX!

CLEAN

Gain - 10:30
Master - 12:00
Presence - 11:00
Treble - 11:45
Middle - 12:00
Bass - 12:30
Full Power
45 Watt
Diode
FAT
EQ Auto
Channel 1

Try your chorus in the FX loop here...

Lemme know how you like em.

Another reference for Metallica tones:http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/metallica.html

Thanks I appreciate it...does anyone else have major feedback probs with Active Pickups with hi gain settings in Ch 3? I've got a Lace Sensor Red that is a major PITA. I'm thinking about changing it out to something different, like a Purple...I tried a Blue and it was still too hot. EMG 81 on my ESP M2 was a little hot too...lowered the Bridge pickup a tad. seemed to do the trick...

Thanks for the Metalli-tones.

Carp Dawg

No prob, I like my EMG 81 in the bridge for Metallica tones in Ch3 I have the 18 volt mod done, so it runs two 9 vlots...You can google the 18 volt mod...

Thanks #212. I'm a huge Rush fan too. You must be since you're from Canada...Need to get Lerxst to play some Mesas! So does Geddy. Needs to dump those H&Ks...

Not trying to bump my own post, but since we're on the topic of Rush...Anything Rush related would be cool...

2112 Album
La Villa Strangiato
The Trees
Xanadu
Freewill
Red Barchetta
Limelight
Digital Man
etc...too many to list

i have to say the majority of your set list would be done on channels 1 with fat, and channel 2 on crunch or maybe edge. channel 2 on crunch gets a pretty rowdy rock n roll tone and edge gets you less gain and just a fat overdriven tone.

i have been getting away from the "preset" eq and using the graphic. typically in the classic v shape. presence and highs typically between 9 and 2, lows around 9 to 12 and mid dont seem to do anything anyway :lol: and gain to taste. i put kt77's on the 2 outside power amp tubes and made it more rockin' and a bit less of the boogie scoop.

Thanks Guitardom...I do like Ch 2 Crunch alot. Same w/ Mark 2C+...two of my favorite channels...I like the Fat channel 1 too.

Fat channel 1 Normal will probably be my clean channel. Sounds great...really great...best clean amp I've ever heard, on Full Power 45 watts...

Carpdawg said:
Thanks Guitardom...I do like Ch 2 Crunch alot. Same w/ Mark 2C+...two of my favorite channels...I like the Fat channel 1 too.

Fat channel 1 Normal will probably be my clean channel. Sounds great...really great...best clean amp I've ever heard, on Full Power 45 watts...

be sure to go to the tweed setting at 10w especially and start to od it with the gain. it is KILLER!!!

guitardom said:
Carpdawg said:

be sure to go to the tweed setting at 10w especially and start to od it with the gain. it is KILLER!!!

+1! Tweed is really underestimated! Take the time to try it and start discovering how rich it is!

Neil Young, Powderfinger, Rockin in a Free World, Cortez the Killer, Hey Hey My My, etc…

Neil young is tricky. He uses an old LP with a bigsby trem. into an old small fender with the gain cranked.
I think he uses some other effects, but not much. He gets his tone from old, well loved gear set to very exact settings (including a robotic knob turning thing to switch settings on his amp).

anyhoo...for Hey Hey I like IIC+ with my anderson tele, bridge HB PU's into a tubescreamer set with gain at 9 into a zendrive with gain set at 10 into a keely compressor into the amp with gain at 12:00. Treb 10, Mid 8, Bass 9, pres 12
I also use a mxr carbon copy and phase 90 in the loop (not phase 90 for this though)

Key is OD into OD into hi gain amp to try to get his over crunchy crunchyness without losing a warm tone. I do not like crunch or edge modes much, I do not play metal. I like classic rock, and wrestling tones like clapton, gilmour and young can be tough but some funkiness can be had...Tweed, Mk I and the IIC+ with varying gain settings can get me so many tones, along with two different OD pedals and the compressor.

Powderfinger has similar tone, but less OD, so only the amp
Cortez is even less gain, so MKI with gain on 7 or 8 is fine until solo's, when I hit a zendrive for a boost. Keep the bass LOW on this setting for this song
Rockin has a darker tone...MkI left by itself is great even with the bass higher..

Allman bro's has a much cleaner tone...Tweed left by itself can be plenty fun with a LP

The tom anderson has 5 position switch and stacked singles = SH(both S with Hum canceling)HS
Lots of tones with this and the amp.
I also use a leslie 16 speaker cab which has a groovy feel...

Thanks Spacin...I'll give your Neil Young tones a shot...Nice insight on his tone. I've seen him live a couple times...I dig when he rocks out that old *** black LP with the Bigsby. Ya think he could afford a new axe...like a Dimebag looking axe....with a Floyd Rose.

Latest posts

Back