Mark V tips and tricks

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
The Mark V can be a tricky amp. Some cool sounds are easy to get, but some are hidden in there. Post your cool tips and tricks in this thread.

Pseudo-Fuzz Tone
Use Tweed mode, in 10 watt, variac. Crank the master and gain to 3:00 or even higher. Set other controls to taste. May need treble up high too. Use your volume and tone knobs on your guitar to control the sound. It cleans up to a nice crunch, but when pressed sounds like a Muff or Fuzz Face (depending on whether you use humbuckers or single coils, respectively).

Brutal Metal on Mark I mode
Mark I mode gets the Santana sound easily, but can be used for metal. Try 45 watt, diodes. (Consider using variac too.) Crank the master to 3:00. Set presence high (2:30 or higher.) Gain at least 1:00, treble very high (4:00). Bass very low (8:00). Use sliders: cut 80 Hz to just less than 1/2 down, 240 just above that, 750 at about the middle line, boost 2200 1/3 up, 6600 just above that. The trick is to have an upward sloping line.

High Gain Marshall
EDIT: On crunch mode, channel 2.
Order a high gain JJ or some other high gain tube for V2. Dime the gain. Set treble and mid high (3:00). Keep presence at 10:00 to prevent it from sounding thin. Bass at 11:00. Variac/tube, etc. to taste. You can get some cool results by doing this in 10 watt mode and cranking the master, but you can also get neat results in 45 or 90 watt mode. Without a boost, you can get Van Halen and Extreme levels of gain. With a boost, you can get Marshall-based thrash metal.

Thanks for the fuzz tip. Fuzz pedal gas averted! Time to bring on the doom and stoner stuff on :twisted:

Let me know how it works for you.

I've decided to ditch my Fulltone '70 in light of how well it works for me.

eudaimonia02912 said:
The Mark V can be a tricky amp. Some cool sounds are easy to get, but some are hidden in there. Post your cool tips and tricks in this thread.

Mark I mode Santana sound easily, but can be used for metal. Try 45 watt, diodes. (Consider using variac too.) Crank the master to 3:00. Set presence high (2:30 or higher.) Gain at least 1:00, treble very high (4:00). Bass very low (8:00). Use sliders: cut 80 Hz to just less than 1/2 down, 240 just above that, 750 at about the middle line, boost 2200 1/3 up, 6600 just above that. The trick is to have an upward sloping line.

A variation of this setting has been posted in the "sticky" Mark v settings thread for some time now (with pics). As a former Mark I owner, I set "lesterpaul's" amp to these settings based on prior knowledge of the preamp circuit of the Mark I. One year later and the settings have not changed much at all. I would not call it METAL, but good tone never goes out of style. 8)

JOEY B. said:
eudaimonia02912 said:

Mark I mode Santana sound easily, but can be used for metal. Try 45 watt, diodes. (Consider using variac too.) Crank the master to 3:00. Set presence high (2:30 or higher.) Gain at least 1:00, treble very high (4:00). Bass very low (8:00). Use sliders: cut 80 Hz to just less than 1/2 down, 240 just above that, 750 at about the middle line, boost 2200 1/3 up, 6600 just above that. The trick is to have an upward sloping line.

A variation of this setting has been posted in the "sticky" Mark v settings thread for some time now (with pics). As a former Mark I owner, I set "lesterpaul's" amp to these settings based on prior knowledge of the preamp circuit of the Mark I. One year later and the settings have not changed much at all. I would not call it METAL, but good tone never goes out of style. 8)

Have to agree on the upwards sloping EQ setting, really lifts the Mark 1 setting out of mediocrity to my ears!

I have been playing around recently, and got a pretty cool tone in this setting areas

Scooped and boosted Rectoi-ish Tone
Channel 3, 10 watts (so the 5U4 is engaged), Mark IV mode, master volume CRANKED, V shaped GEQ, bass a bit higher than you might usually run it on channel 3, rest of the EQ to taste, bring on the palm muted chugs :twisted:

Latest posts

Back