Mark V... the Ultimate Amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

Reaction score
Ok, so far my Mark V has provided me with the best high gain sound I have ever come across. Then I realized that CH2 is the most versitile "channel" I have ever had the pleasure of using.

Then, as if this amp cant get any better, CH1 may have cleans that come close to beating my old Fender.

Give me a good reason NOT to get 2 of them and gig forever!

I'd have to agree. Whenever I hear someone complain about the tone I have to guess it's either their guitar, effects, or cabinet. :)

it blows away any amp ive ever owned / heard / played.. and thats a lotta amps! the number of tones are endless.. a studio's dream amp!

The guys that say that thier Mark IV is better are the same ones that have owned that Mark IV for years and years and have not only tweaked it to perfection (for thier ears) but also become very comfortable with the sound.

Then they plug into a Mark V, put it in "Mark IV" mode and cant figure out why it's not EXACTLY like thier real Mark IV.

Spend some time with the Mark V and most people will agree that it is an all around better amp.

I've owned many-a-mesa over the past 3 years and the Mark V is it for me. As mentioned, it has everything a man could want in an amp: stellar cleans, versatile mid-gain channel, and a killer high gain channel. It's a treat to play everytime I sit down. Love this amp...

Yes I would have to agree the best amp I have ever owned. The versatility is amazing. Either channel 2 or 3 can be the lead or crunch channel depending on how you set it up... it just covers off everything. The hardest part is choosing just 3 sounds.

It is for me!!!! Got one in May, and it is still exciting everytime I turn it on!!!! Best Purchase I have made gear wise!

All of you guys know exactly what you're talking about!

To the op, no, I certainly cannot give you any reason to why it should'nt be considered in the ultimate class.

What else is there to add really? It's just a marvelous sounding, extremely flexiable, well thought out and built amplifier from front ta back. What else is there?

I quess if Scarlette Johansson had of personally delivered it to me, and decided to spend the night, that would have more frosting, but, you know...

Yeah fellas, it's nice to be king... :D

My third Mesa amplifier, and by far the best. I've owned many amplifiers over the years, though not a self-proclaimed expert, and this is the best sounding amp I've ever played or tried. End of the road for me and taking it six feet under when I go! :mrgreen:

Hendog said:
The guys that say that thier Mark IV is better are the same ones that have owned that Mark IV for years and years and have not only tweaked it to perfection (for thier ears) but also become very comfortable with the sound.

Then they plug into a Mark V, put it in "Mark IV" mode and cant figure out why it's not EXACTLY like thier real Mark IV.

Spend some time with the Mark V and most people will agree that it is an all around better amp.

Interesting points that you make. I know EXACTLY why some people make those comments. There are some features that MESA felt that they needed to delete from the Mark V versus the C+ and Mark IV. This was a business decision on the basis of cost and the desire to keep the new amp easy for the "newcomer" to the Mark series to dial in. I think it was a great move on their part, as it allowed them to sell more amps. I can't count the stories that I've heard about the Mark IV being hard to dial in. If you are a seasoned Mark series user, as I am, the Mark I mode on the Mark V was very easy to dial in. Some of the first guys to get the Mark V became very frustrated with the Mark I mode. It just took a little explaining of how the tone stack signal chain differs from the later amps. The Mark V offers a different version of tweaking (modes, wattage, and Variac) than the push-pulls of yesteryear, and a better reverb, for sure. For a gigging amp used to cover a multitude of styles, the Mark V is hard to beat. In the studio though, the vintage amps will reign supreme. You just might need 3 or 4 of them to get to all the sweet spots of your tone. :wink: To each their own. All that talk about an "exact" replica of the C+ circuit in the Mark V manual, I will have to agree to disagree about.

If I had the money a Mark V would be sitting right next to my DR and I would play those two in stereo all day. 8)

The Mark V is truly a marvel. It's not that there are so many distinctive tones on tap it's that not one of them comes with any compromise to accommodate another. Every voicing is as good as anything else like it with most amps worthy of comparison limited to 1, 2, maybe 3 voicings - this compared to 9 distinctive voicings on board the Mark V!

'The ultimate amp' for me? Almost. I have a thing for the pre-Skyliner, pre-HRM Dumble ODS style amps - specifically the Fuchs ODS. I own a Fuchs ODS-50 combo that has been tweaked to best fit my technique and preferences and has a few factory mods as well. It was my only guitar amp (save a Crate PowerBlock as a backup) from mid 2005 to October 2009 when I bought the Mark V combo. The Fuchs is what amplified electric guitar sounds like in my head. It's perfect. ...for what it does. I used to think of it as versatile, and it is to some extent. The Mesa is all of the other amps I want all in one box. Seriously - all of them and then some! As ideal as the Fuchs is I find I play through the Mesa more often right now. This is likely because it's still pretty new to me. Could also be the broader range of sounds at the push of a stomp switch or two. They're both seeing a lot of use though.

I like things best just the way they are. Each amp serves its purpose. Both are keepers. The Fuchs is never going anywhere. Neither is the Mark V (well, unless Mesa offers a compelling reason to upgrade to a future Mark series amp - the MkV will be a tough act to follow!).

If I had to pick one amp as the ultimate amp the Mark V would have to get the title simply because it's 9 great amps, 3 at a time. What's not to like?

I love my Mark V, there is nothing else I can really say about it that hasn't been said. For me it is THE tone I want, and even though there is so much versatility in this amp, I haven't tweaked it for about a fortnight as it is right now dialled in on each channel to sound exactly like I want it to sound. The beauty is, if someone else comes over I could very easily dial it up to sound however they wanted, it is just too damned much to choose from.

Jerrick said:
If I had the money a Mark V would be sitting right next to my DR and I would play those two in stereo all day. 8)

I want a Roadster so bad I can taste it.

I can only imagine my Mark V on "Extreme" and my Roadster on "Modern" in STEREO!!!!

If the only tool you have is a MKV, every problem looks like an excuse to jam out for a few hours.....

Seriously, with those 6L6 Winged C's in there, I am having a love affair with Tweed in Bold. It is Blackfoot Highway Song resurrected!!!! 8). One of the best things about having a nice tube amp is being able to swap tubes and feel like you can trade Scarlett Johansen in for Megan Fox for a while, then trade back or get some NOS tubes and have Jennifer Love Hewitt..... Now those are some nice tubes.... :mrgreen:

Heritage Softail said:
One of the best things about having a nice tube amp is being able to swap tubes and feel like you can trade Scarlett Johansen in for Megan Fox for a while, then trade back or get some NOS tubes and have Jennifer Love Hewitt..... Now those are some nice tubes.... :mrgreen:

I like it! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back