Mark V Problem Loud noise Video

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaManBoogie

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem with my mark v combo, this loud noise that comes and goes from time to time, I've had this problem for about six months now and it's more consistent, before it would just do it maybe once every two weeks and the amp would perform just fine, when I don't get that noise the amp works fine, it's pretty much happening after the standby switch it's turned on, I have tried replacing the power tubes, power cords and tried different power outlets recently I tried the rectifier tube, I replaced V1 12ax7-a. If you have experienced this problem and know how to fix it , please let me know Thanks.
I have called Mesa and they pretty much told to take it to a repair mesa shop

Thanks for your help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OSBJKroryA

You've got a serious problem with your amp. Get it to a Tech immediately.

If you keep turning it on to try and troubleshoot you could cause more damage.

MesaManBoogie said:

I would follow that advise.

Dom

Hey man. My head had this problem. I was using power tubes that werent mesa branded that worked fine in my IV but not my V. It was a little complicated as I also had two high gain low noise preamp tubes that werent mesa branded. My suggestion to you would be, if your tubes(power and preamp) arent mesa branded, retube with all mesa. That is what I ended up doing, and it worked. If the power tubes you put in are mesa, I would replace all my preamp tubes. It is costly, but this is what worked for me. I got my tubes from a local mesa dealer, and their prices were the same as ordering them from boogie.

Look at the tubes when you turn it on and when it's making that noise. I had a bad power tube in mine right away, and it sounded similar to that. The bad tube looked like its own mini light show.

Thanks for everybody's advise and help, I took the whole thing out to inspect everything from tubes, wiring and capacitors. I ended up replacing only two preamp tubes V1 and V7, everything else was fine, and so far everything's been working fine since, I've only used Mesa Boogie tubes. I would recommend anybody that's close to mesa tech to take it to them. The only reason I had to do it myself was because I'm five hours away from the closest mesa tech, it's not that hard if you have some experience with electronics or tube amps. I will keep you posted in case the problem comes back.

Thanks again

domct203 said:
You've got a serious problem with your amp. Get it to a Tech immediately.

If you keep turning it on to try and troubleshoot you could cause more damage.

MesaManBoogie said:

I would follow that advise.

Dom

I agree, actually when I called Mesa I explained the problem, I told them that is not consistent and that it comes and goes, they told me start replacing some tubes if I had experience with just that and they also thought it could be bad power in my house or outlets, so they said if that does not work then take to the closest mesa tech, but I replaced two preamp tubes that could be causing the problem V1 and V2 and everything seems to be OK now. Thanks

primeholy said:
Hey man. My head had this problem. I was using power tubes that werent mesa branded that worked fine in my IV but not my V. It was a little complicated as I also had two high gain low noise preamp tubes that werent mesa branded. My suggestion to you would be, if your tubes(power and preamp) arent mesa branded, retube with all mesa. That is what I ended up doing, and it worked. If the power tubes you put in are mesa, I would replace all my preamp tubes. It is costly, but this is what worked for me. I got my tubes from a local mesa dealer, and their prices were the same as ordering them from boogie.

Cool Thanks, Yeah I actually replaced Preamp V1 and V2 and it seems to be OK now

fr0sty said:
Look at the tubes when you turn it on and when it's making that noise. I had a bad power tube in mine right away, and it sounded similar to that. The bad tube looked like its own mini light show.

Thanks, yeah the power tubes actually were OK, I did noticed that when I was getting that noise I checked all four power tubes and they were glowing blue. I did a research and blue glow is OK on power tubes.

Just for reverence, but I had the exact same problem and intermittent too.

Tubes...preamp.

Replaced and all is good.

Latest posts

Back