Mark V owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevycat

Reaction score
Just wanting to know how many here are combo owners. I purchased a combo and I am enjoying the learning process. I currently have the combo stacked on top of my fender amp and I am wondering if this is eating up the low end.

I think mesa recommends placing the amp on the floor for the best overall response of the amp, but I have limited space and will have to run this way.

Anyone care to share their own experiences with their combo? settting, tubes, and police visits. LOL Dam, this amp can get loud!

The combo will produce better bottom end on the floor.

However, if it's a new combo it'll also take some time to break the speaker in, and until the speaker is broken in the amp can feel muffled and constricted, with lack of bottom end being one of the things I've experienced. The going rate I've found is that it takes around 7 hours of loud playing before a speaker starts to loosen up, and then another 40-50 hours before it's fully settled in.

Give it some time to break in a bit, as said above. The Mark V is not as bass heavy as some other Boogies, and it has an open back. It is much tighter and I have not felt the need to dial back the bass as on some other models ... but that's just my preference. :wink:

Put an Express 23" 1X12 open back cabinet or a Compact Closed and ported 1X12 under it if you need to ... but I would wait ...

I bought my combo in March (time flies!) and I LOVE IT. It did took me a bit to get fully comfortable with the amp, I've read the manual probably 6 times from start to finish. And again when I have specific doubts, but it has payed off. I know exactly how to dial this amp in different contexts.

It's been said before, but you really gotta break in the speaker in order to really get a hold of the overall feel of the amp, watch out the bass in order to avoid flubby tones, and don't be afraid to use the mids! Scooping is nice, but there's only so much you can scoop before you start getting lost in the mix.

Also another tip is take pics of your settings, this has helped me to keep track of specific sounds.

The only thing killing me is if I love so much the combo, I can't imagine how much I'd love a head + 4x12!

The combo speaker is not hard to break in. Just some high volume (90 watt), chugging clean chords (yes I said chugging clean) for 15 minutes or so will get you half way there.

The speaker will naturally break in after that with normal playing.

screamingdaisy said:
The going rate I've found is that it takes around 7 hours of loud playing before a speaker starts to loosen up, and then another 40-50 hours before it's fully settled in.

For me that translates into years as I play at low volumes at home. I better get this amp out and open it up. Thanks for the tip.

Back