mark v opinions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-BOOGIE_MAN-

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Wondering if you own/try mesaboogie mark v?
What's your opinion?

I've got single recto now, but I find that its too 'harsh' and need more smooth sounding distortion yet still sound brutal.

I tried stiletto the other day, but it just doesnt sound good to my ear. Its too trebley.

I'm a fan of John Petrucci and i know he's been using mark series forever.. But, i need more opinions from you guys. pros and cons of this amp, etc.

Thanks

DUDE THE MARK V IS JESUS IN AN AMP...really it is an awesome amp and its as smooth and heavy as hell

There has been many posts about how awesome the Mark V is. And maybe a few posters that hate it. Best option is to play one.

-BOOGIE_MAN- said:
Hey guys,
What's your opinion?

I've got single recto now, but I find that its too 'harsh' and need more smooth sounding distortion yet still sound brutal.

I tried stiletto the other day, but it just doesnt sound good to my ear. Its too trebley.

I'm a fan of John Petrucci and i know he's been using mark series forever.. But, i need more opinions from you guys. pros and cons of this amp, etc.

Thanks

I had a single recto before, sold it to buy the Mark V. 10 times better to my taste. Besides the Petrucci tones you are looking for, there are so many other tonal possibilities.
It is like endless.

From jazz to blues, vintage rock, progressive to pure metal, it can do them all!

Try it and judge by yourself.

nicoroy123 said:
-BOOGIE_MAN- said:
Hey guys,
What's your opinion?

Thanks

I had a single recto before, sold it to buy the Mark V. 10 times better to my taste. Besides the Petrucci tones you are looking for, there are so many other tonal possibilities.
It is like endless.

From jazz to blues, vintage rock, progressive to pure metal, it can do them all!

+1 +2 +3

nicoroy123 said:

Can it get metal sound without overdirve on top of it? (silly question but just gotta ask :p)

Not many shop carry mark V here in Perth, AU.

Can Tiger Woods play golf?

Does Kim Kardashian have a big juicy booty?

Absolutely my friend! I for one would'nt think of using a overdrive on channel 3...plenty of thick, creamy distortion on hand in any mode there for just about any metal you can think of! :)

Check out some youtube clips posted by some guys here, and hear for yourself!

Shang Chi 66 said:
Can Tiger Woods play golf?

Does Kim Kardashian have a big juicy booty?

Absolutely my friend! I for one would'nt think of using a overdrive on channel 3...plenty of thick, creamy distortion on hand in any mode there for just about any metal you can think of! :)

Check out some youtube clips posted by some guys here, and hear for yourself!

Thank you sang chi, will definately have a look!
Cheers

A Mark V would generally be smoother, but so is upgrading to a Dual Recto from a Single Recto...

ive always found recto's to be extremely harsh, grainy, buzzy, etc.. especially at a low volume, without a band behind you.. not very good for lead, in my opinion

the mark v on the other hand.... smooth, mid-ranged, vocal...... awesome for lead.. it seems to have the frequencies that an electric guitar amp was invented to deliver!!

I've had a Dual Rec for years and had my Mark V for a month now ...

You can get medium gain Recto sounds out of the V easily ... (I A/B'd them through the same cab) but the V has about a thousand other sounds you can dial in that a recto can't do...

That said if you play your recto really heavy, - it's got a sound of it's own that I haven't (yet) found in the V. You don't get the high gain fizz you get out of the Rectos though.

I haven't looked back. I play the V all the time now - I am looking at some different speaker options: I have the combo - which has the inherent open-back differences in sound - great for low to medium volume but I don't like it at high volume, so I'm looking at whether to get a Thiele or recto cab to go with it.

The V is brighter than the Recto - you can get an "ice-pick in the ears" sharpness out of it, this can be tamed either with the EQ (a bit) or a smoother tube in the pre amp stages.

I also had to put put a Tung Sol in V1 of my DR though to get the sound I was after ... so I guess maybe I'm just a bit picky!

The V is one awesome amp ... I couldn't be happier with it

Back