Mark V just not popular with older people?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JOEY B. said:
If the comment about the channel masters is true, then you must play it loud for the best tone, just like the previous Marks. It is a tube amp, remember. :roll:

The comment is very true, but don't mistake it for volume, feel free to keep the amp's overall master at a reasonable level and listen to the tone in each channel change - there is nothing subtle about it.

I can understand those people that have been wearing their c+ amps for so long it's like a comfy pair of shoes. That's great, and I certainly enjoy when I plug back into the Mark IV. Easy, predictable, and gorgeous.

For me though, it's exciting to step out of my comfort zone and strap on a new voice. Take Bob Dylan for example, by most standards.. he's not a great singer. His magic grew from how he nurtured the tones he had. Say what you want about him, but he's relevant to this day, and oozes style and charm that really can only be obtained through hard work and sensibility. Imagine if he gave up and got a singer because he felt his voice sucked after the first month of trying to sing... Sometimes it takes a bit to flow with a new sound. I don't see how anyone could sell off a FIVE this quickly. (Unless it was a lemon or they just didn't want to be bothered with all the options.)

The FIVE is a 'naked' amp that is unforgiving to sloppy play styles. The sheer amount of different tones available is intimidating. These types of things can turn some players off, especially those new to the Mark series. I've been playing a Mark IV for 15 years and i'm lost sometimes when trying to nail a tone.

All this is understandable, and I remember similar sentiments when I purchased my Mark IV. Everyone said they loved it but kept playing either solid state amps because they were easier to play or bought/sold dozens of amps in the last 15 years trying to find their sound.

I feel fortunate to have a very solid and well built FIVE. I'm also thankful that the tone that emerges seems so pure and connected to my fingers that for the most part I blame myself for any bad sounds made.

I have a couple years to go before I hit 40, so I guess that makes me old to some and young to others...

But I like it!

Tone is in your fingers... but it starts in the heart and travels through the head first. Dig deep and remember it's the music that matters more than any amp or flawless technique.

TLDR? 37 and loving it

binnerscot said:
JOEY B. said:
If the comment about the channel masters is true, then you must play it loud for the best tone, just like the previous Marks. It is a tube amp, remember. :roll:

The comment is very true, but don't mistake it for volume, feel free to keep the amp's overall master at a reasonable level and listen to the tone in each channel change - there is nothing subtle about it.
yes, if you check most of the settings we have posted in terms of matching up with vintage +'s, the channel masters are pretty cranked-I remember when I first got mine..I decided to run it like my MArks,as opposed to what manual said-crank the channel master like I normally would crank vol 1 and run overall output like I would master vol. on a mark-started to grunt at that point :)

43 here!!!!!!!! this amp has cover all my needs (musically) :D hope every one is enjoying the many tones out of this amp!!!!!!!!

There are some that are always going to ***** about something. I'm sure some of you remember when the newer Mark series amps first came out, or when the Rectifier first hit the market. Funnily enough, when they are discontinued, people buy them up like there's no tomorrow...

Jim Ed Love said:
I'm an old *******, 55 and I plan on ordering a MK V on Tuesday. I will run it stereo with my MKIIC+. 8)

I will definately put differents tubes in when I get it. The 6l6 Tungsol's sound great.

I know new electronics need to be broken in, I'm just not sure how long it really takes.

Is there really a world of difference between a real II C+ and the Five ?????

I'm 44 and really love the Five even with stock tubes....

littleguitar said:
Is there really a world of difference between a real II C+ and the Five ?????

I'm 44 and really love the Five even with stock tubes....

Read this thread. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701

And this one too. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37145

There is a slight difference with the C+ mode of the MkV and a fully loaded original C+ when these settings are used. When we first started to compare them, the "old" amp was eating the MkV for lunch, but by carefully tuning the MkV by ear, we were able to get very close. I guess the amount of difference between the amps would also depend on what type of sound that you are looking to capture. How is that for a political phrased answer? :lol: :lol: :lol:

39 years old and I LOVE my Mark V! I hope, God willing, that I'm still playing it at 49 and 59! Great tone knows no age limit my friend!

Geez, you guys are all pretty much toddlers to me......I'll be 58 in a month and love my Mark 5!

I'm 26 and selling mine. I bought it when i heard it had a iic+ that was exactly the same as the original. When I got it, I missed the drive knob, little bass cap, and the tranny didn't sound as good. As well, I played a mark iv right next to it that was so much different than the mark iv mode. They named it mark iv and iic+ so I expected it to be a (surprise) mark iv and mark iic+.

-Angel

JOEY B. said:
When you say older people, are you really referring to "seasoned Boogie players"? I have been doing the Boogie thing for 20+ years, and think the MkV is a great milestone for the company. It is much more user freindly to the novice than the MkII,III or IV. As far as vintage tones go, the Variac Power and Tweed mode will get you closer than any Mark made in the last 25 years, IMHO.

Age tends to make everyone more resistant to change, I think. Go with what you know. 8)

Peace out !

I bought a MKIIB and a MKIIC simulclass new in the eighties. I've been playing Boogies since 1982. In fact, when I called Boogie for my MKIIB I ordered straight from the company. I don't think they were available in stores yet. Guess who answered the phone? Randall Smith.

I'm looking forward to my MK V. I have to get in cream though, to match my cabs and MKIIC+.

I'm 28 years old and have owned a transistor amp since I was 19.

I have tried a few tube amps - Carvin Legacy, Peavey 5150, Crate Blue Voodoo, Rectifiers, Randalls.

The V is my first tube amp and despite a few minor problems, such as shitty paint on the faceplate and having to get the reverb
relays fixed, I think it's a killer amp.

It's all about the tone, and this amp has massive tone. I gigged with it on August 8th and got a lot of compliments on my tone. It also record well in 10watt mode.

theroan said:
Very cool, I'm trying to figure why so much hate for such an amazing amp.

Well, it's just another amp and some will hate it and some will think it's amazing.

Latest posts

Back