Mark V good for Classic Rock?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dank

Reaction score
The Mark V would be perfect for me if it can do the following:

Channel One: Crystal clear clean.

Channel Two: Very slight breakup.

Channel Three: Stronger tube breakup/overdrive, ie., Tush, China Grove, Tie Your Mother Down.

My concern is that the amp may be geared more toward heavy metal which I have no interest in. For those who have auditioned the amp or already own it, please pipe in.
Thanks.

Dan

dank said:

Channel Three: Stronger tube breakup/overdrive, ie., Tush, China Grove, Tie Your Mother Down.

My concern is that the amp may be geared more toward heavy metal which I have no interest in. For those who have auditioned the amp or already own it, please pipe in.
Thanks.

Dan

chan 1: without a doubt...AMAZING clean.
chan 2: easily...you have the mark 1 mode there and it's killer. you may actually even like edge mode for rhythm's.
chan 3: no problem. especially if you use your favorite OD pedal to shape the final tone to your liking.

:)

And yet, John, you passed on it. I, too, have owned a number of Mesa Boogie amps over the years, my last being the Lonestar Special. I sold the LSS in anticipation of the Mark V, as I love 6L6 amps as well as three usable channels.

I think the V can do just what you want. You'll have to judge for yourself when u get your hands on one - but for me - this amp is the best all around bang for the buck that I have played in a LONG time. It is only geared towards metal if you set it up that way. And that is just using the stock tubes. I am sure there are many more playable sounds by mixing things up a bit in the tube section. The metal is in there but if that is all you play it would be using 25% of the amps playable sounds - or buying a Ferrari and only ever driving it over 125 mph - fun but not necessary - or even possible given the traffic for most people. The V is a very musical piece of gear - that is deep and complex in tonal palette. I think you mostly hear about the metal because that group is the most vocal here and there is obviously a lot of history - or baggage - if you need to compare with the past - with this Mark series in that dept. Don't let it fool or limit you.

dank said:

Thanks.

Dan

I would think it would be easier to get the sounds / songs that you listed for channel 3 "Channel Three: Stronger tube breakup/overdrive, ie., Tush, China Grove, Tie Your Mother Down." from channel 2. What you have listed on 2 " Very slight breakup" should be easy to get from channel 3.

It has been my experience with multi channel amps that every channel can do many sounds. The voice / gain / tone you may be looking for may be in a different channel than you think.

I often on my Mark IV have the gain of the lead channel lower than the gain on Rhythm 2. I am not talking about the number on the knob. I am talking about the gain you hear. Because the voice works better for the sounds I want.

The Mark amps channels are voiced to get many sounds. Metal is only one sound these amps can do.

Your replies are music to my ears. It is unlikely that I will get the opportunity to play it before I buy it, so I don't want to screw up (as I have done many times in the past).

Have you used or played on a Mark amp ?
If you know someone that is familiar with them and you can try it well they show you how to set it up would be a good idea.

These amps are know to throw people off. Because they can do a lot of sounds it is easier to get a bad sound than good.

The advantage is if they have voice you like and they can do a lot of voices. They can grow with you.
Taste changes over time. A amp that does many voices can change with you.

The mesa manuals are very good and a good place to start.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Mark_Series/mark5/mark5.html

dank said:
And yet, John, you passed on it. I, too, have owned a number of Mesa Boogie amps over the years, my last being the Lonestar Special. I sold the LSS in anticipation of the Mark V, as I love 6L6 amps as well as three usable channels.

I LIKE that amp..I think its amazing for what it is.
I have everything covered for my tastes with my triaxis\2:90.
TO ME the IV is the missing piece for what I want.

I have nothing against the V except that the lead channel wasn't what "I" was looking for.

My Mark 5 will do exactly what you listed............Best Amp I 've ever owned.

The Mark V will work just fine for classic rock. That's inherently what I play, and have been using the Mark amps for years for it. This new one's even better.

MeZa 8)

I do not think this amp is hard to dial in at all. Maybe other version of this series were - but this is a new amp. It is a new version. And it is pretty easy to dial in whatever sounds you are looking for - particularly after going thorough the very well written manual.

People keep talking about the manual...

Even without ever seeing the actual amp, or reading the manual, I read so much on that amp I basically know how it works...

Like... I know how the modes are supposed to sound and how to use them with ou without the EQ and everything but...

What does the manual say that's so different than all of the information we get from the users and the website descriptions ?

dank said:
Your replies are music to my ears. It is unlikely that I will get the opportunity to play it before I buy it, so I don't want to screw up (as I have done many times in the past).

I see you are living in Philly too. I have a bunch of experience dialing in Marks (III, IV, Studio Pre), so feel free to stop by (lower graduate hospital area)! I would love to hear the Mark V. You'll be able to blast it through my two 2x12 halfbacks.

The manual's about what I'd expect from Mesa Engineering. Pretty detailed.

I haven't read it, just glanced through. When I received the amp, I plugged it in and went for it right out of the box. No big deal. Didn't need to read the manual to figure it out. Standard MesaBoogie amp stuff.

MeZadude 8)

If you do not know to keep the bass low (3 or less) on Mark amps you well get some sounds that are not the best. This and other things we all do that know the Mark amps. My post was pointed at someone who never used the Mark amps.

Latest posts

Back