Mark V EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
I have a question about the Mark V EQ.

The times I have tryed out the Mark V, it seemed to me that the graphic EQ was not as responsive as the graphic EQ on the earlier Mark series.

But at the same time, there were many buttons for presets and such that I wasn't sure that I had it setup properly.

Is it the case that the graphic EQ dopes not have as big an impact on tone as the earlier models or did I just have something set wrong?

I would like to demo it again and if I am doing something wrong with the EQ I'd like to fix it.

thanks

primal said:

The times I have tryed out the Mark V, it seemed to me that the graphic EQ was not as responsive as the graphic EQ on the earlier Mark series.

But at the same time, there were many buttons for presets and such that I wasn't sure that I had it setup properly.

Is it the case that the graphic EQ dopes not have as big an impact on tone as the earlier models or did I just have something set wrong?

I would like to demo it again and if I am doing something wrong with the EQ I'd like to fix it.

thanks

No, man. It seems to effect the tone in the same way as the IV.

Make sure you are using the "Sliders" and not the "Preset". That could be what is happening.

Hendog said:
No, man. It seems to effect the tone in the same way as the IV.

Make sure you are using the "Sliders" and not the "Preset". That could be what is happening.

what switches to I have to look at to make sure I am using the EQ and not preset.

ryjan said:
Read your manual!

I don't own the freaking amp and was asking a quick question rather then going through the manual.

Considering the amount of help I have offered other posters on this board rather then offer some useless smart *** comment like "read you manual", I think it is a simple question.

You don't want to help, don't reply!

primal said:
ryjan said:
Read your manual!

I don't own the freaking amp and was asking a quick question rather then going through the manual.

Considering the amount of help I have offered other posters on this board rather then offer some useless smart *** comment like "read you manual", I think it is a simple question.

It takes longer to post and then wait for a reply then to go to Boogie website and read up on their online manuals. Just look at the front of your amp. Every switch is labeled pretty clear to me. The ones next to the sliders that say "sliders" and "preset". Thats where I'd start. :roll:

ryjan said:
primal said:
ryjan said:
Read your manual!

It takes longer to post and then wait for a reply then to go to Boogie website and read up on their online manuals. Just look at the front of your amp. Every switch is labeled pretty clear to me. The ones next to the sliders that say "sliders" and "preset". Thats where I'd start. :roll:

I will say it a second time. I don't own the freaking amp!!!!! :roll:

Try reading my post!

When I tried the amp I had it set to EQ. My question here was to find if maybe I missed something else.

There is a Sliders/Preset switch just to the left of the sliders.

Before you go in to play the amp again, study the front panel (maybe on Mesa's website) so you know what each thing does. That way you will have a better demo of the amp. As for the back panel, just chose Triode or Pentode for CH3 and adjust reverb to taste.

The mark V EQ is not as responsive as the earlier Marks' EQ's, IMO. The Mark V is not as scooped as the ealier Marks and is more bright. The EQ acts differently to the amp in general

primal said:

thanks

Make sure the switch to the left of the EQ is set to sliders for each channel. The preset knob doesn't have as much kick.

IMO it's far easier to adjust the FIVE's EQ, alot less tension on each slider. The sweep of the slider does seem more managable on the FIVE but I don't see that as a bad thing. You're still able to scoop mids, boost lows and highs much higher/lower than what's practical. On the MK IV a hairs distance that wasn't noticable to the naked eye could make a huge impact on tone.

lesterpaul said:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701&start=0
this might help...

Thanks, that is a big help.

Wow, that is a significant difference in the eq, specifically with regard to the 80 and 240 sliders.

I wonder why they changed the EQ on the V.

That explains why I wasn't getting the same response I was on my IV.

I'll try to account for that next time I test drive one of these.

Scary said:
On the MK IV a hairs distance that wasn't noticable to the naked eye could make a huge impact on tone.

And that may be the reason for the change.

I remember thinking that the Mark IV EQ was too touchy when I first got it, but over time I just got used to it.

Primal,

I don't find the GEQ sliders of the V significantly different than my IV.

However, the V does offer the option of the Graphi EQ "Sliders" or "Preset" selection toggle located just left of this section for each channel. When this toggle switch is selected to "sliders" for a given channel, the 5 sliders are active when switching in the GEQ. When the toggle is selected to "Presets" the given channel is selected to the adjustable contour knob when activating the GEQ. The "Preset" selection contour knob for all channels has been provided as an option to the classic GEQ sliders which was first introduced with the Mesa Express Series amplifiers. The Express Series only offer the "Preset Contour" knob for GEQ....no sliders.I find these GEQ setting "options" to be very benefitial and flexible with the MKV. For example, I can have my "perfect" lead sound GEQ setting using the sliders and still be able to kick in different GEQ settings of Channel 1 and 2 for example, using the "Preset" contour knobs!

This is a very useful addition to the MKV that greatly adds to its flexibility IMO.

I hope this helps.

One reason you have to push the Mark V sliders further is the speaker. If you are playing through a new combo than the speaker is also new. A new speaker won't have bass or treble like the same speaker that has been broken in from 50-60 hours of playing.

JlMMY said:
One reason you have to push the Mark V sliders further is the speaker. If you are playing through a new combo than the speaker is also new. A new speaker won't have bass or treble like the same speaker that has been broken in from 50-60 hours of playing.
well yes and no. i've come to a similar conclusion about the sensitivity. like the previous threads had said, part of the iic+ difference is the pull deep feature which the v just doesn't have. not a problem for me.

another thing is that i've compared my iv b head with the v geq and it seems consistent with others experience. a hair up or down is a big thing w/ the iv, but you can peg the 80hz slider and it won't flub out (thank goodness). i like the lack of sensitivity cause then you don't have to sit there and tweak *quite* as much. this was all done with the same 2x12 cabs so this is not a matter of the newness of the combo or anything. don't take only my word for it of course, but that's what i've seen. i have pretty much left my v set in the same way since the first week i got it back in early nov.

Latest posts

Back