Mark V dislike

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I finally got it working again. Not sure what the issue was. I reseated the tubes and installed a new fuse. I didn't put the v1 shield back in as it's just impossible to do so without taking the amp out of the head box ( :( ). Anyway, I recently got an Aracom DAG (attenuator) and that made quite a difference. This amp needs to get loud! With the master cranked up, the Mark IV and IIc+ modes have a fullness and ample bass they were completely lacking at lower volume. Much better.

I cant imagine breaking 2 preamp tubes trying to replace V1. You are either careless or very unlucky.

As far as the longer you own it, the more you hate it... I feel the exact opposite. I didn't like it at first and the longer I own it, the more I love it. For instance, I just found a great Marshall tone in CH2 that I LOVE. I didn't even know the amp could do that. I will NEVER sell my Mark V.

Hendog said:
I cant imagine breaking 2 preamp tubes trying to replace V1. You are either careless or very unlucky.

As far as the longer you own it, the more you hate it... I feel the exact opposite. I didn't like it at first and the longer I own it, the more I love it. For instance, I just found a great Marshall tone in CH2 that I LOVE. I didn't even know the amp could do that. I will NEVER sell my Mark V.

WTF man, I am not the only one who's had this problem. Do you have a head or combo..or perhaps tiny little girly hands? :lol:

And BTW, CH2 sounds nothing like a Marshall IMO. There's little resemblance. I have a '68 plexi here and several other Marshalls to compare with.

id say give it some time to do a lot of tweaking before you just give up on it. but then again it might just not fit you very well. i always thought it was weird how one person can think an amp is a godsend, and another equally as intelligible person can think its crap. i.e., i think companies like engl and diezel are really good, theyre just not for me. i have friends that love engl and are like "you should have gotten an engl, theyre the best". meh. different strokes for different folks.
ive only had my mark v for a few weeks, but ive never loved a piece of gear as much as ive loved the V. once i found my favorite settings, it sounded just about as close to my dream tone as i think i could possibly get. and i strongly disagree about the jack of all trades comment. granted there are a lot of multi-channel amps that are built for one specific purpose, and have 1 or 2 extra channels thrown in for good measure (Peavey 5150, Bogner Uberschall, to name a couple), i think the mark v is more like 3 one-channel amps in one box. for instance, if i was playing like a blues gig or something, i could just set the amp to ch 1, tweed mode, EQ off, settings to taste, 45 W tube rectifier (or 10W), variac power, and just sit there chicken pickin away, and (for me, at least) it would work just as well as a fender. thats just one example tho. i most often play hard rock/metal tho, so i really like the versatility of having an amazing, fat chimy clean, a really nice crunch and face-ripping high gain all on tap. and no one said that boogie was trying to make the crunch mode sound like a marshall. they made it to sound like a boogie crunch mode. if you want a marshall then get a marshall. i personally havent found a sound i didnt like out of this amp yet; just ones i didnt love quite as much as the others :mrgreen: .

rocknroll9225 said:
id say give it some time to do a lot of tweaking before you just give up on it. but then again it might just not fit you very well. i always thought it was weird how one person can think an amp is a godsend, and another equally as intelligible person can think its crap. i.e., i think companies like engl and diezel are really good, theyre just not for me. i have friends that love engl and are like "you should have gotten an engl, theyre the best". meh. different strokes for different folks.
ive only had my mark v for a few weeks, but ive never loved a piece of gear as much as ive loved the V. once i found my favorite settings, it sounded just about as close to my dream tone as i think i could possibly get. and i strongly disagree about the jack of all trades comment. granted there are a lot of multi-channel amps that are built for one specific purpose, and have 1 or 2 extra channels thrown in for good measure (Peavey 5150, Bogner Uberschall, to name a couple), i think the mark v is more like 3 one-channel amps in one box. for instance, if i was playing like a blues gig or something, i could just set the amp to ch 1, tweed mode, EQ off, settings to taste, 45 W tube rectifier (or 10W), variac power, and just sit there chicken pickin away, and (for me, at least) it would work just as well as a fender. thats just one example tho. i most often play hard rock/metal tho, so i really like the versatility of having an amazing, fat chimy clean, a really nice crunch and face-ripping high gain all on tap. and no one said that boogie was trying to make the crunch mode sound like a marshall. they made it to sound like a boogie crunch mode. if you want a marshall then get a marshall. i personally havent found a sound i didnt like out of this amp yet; just ones i didnt love quite as much as the others :mrgreen: .

You know, I was getting ready to put it up for sale but just for fun decided to try it out with the Aracom and it surprisingly opened up new possibilities so I am not ready to do that just yet. I did exaggerate a bit in my initial post to make a point. In fact I have no issues with the clean channel. It's great. I also think it's does very light breakup great on CH2, but it's crunch and high gain I feel (still need to reevaluate now) it falls short with CH2 being scratchy, too damped or bassy, depending on the mode and CH3 lacking fullness/bass. I am not looking for any Marshall sounds out of it as I am lucky to have Marshalls for that :mrgreen: .

jabberwocker said:
rocknroll9225 said:

You know, I was getting ready to put it up for sale but just for fun decided to try it out with the Aracom and it surprisingly opened up new possibilities so I am not ready to do that just yet. I did exaggerate a bit in my initial post to make a point. In fact I have no issues with the clean channel. It's great. I also think it's does very light breakup great on CH2, but it's crunch and high gain I feel (still need to reevaluate now) it falls short with CH2 being scratchy, too damped or bassy, depending on the mode and CH3 lacking fullness/bass. I am not looking for any Marshall sounds out of it as I am lucky to have Marshalls for that :mrgreen: .
i thought about getting an attenuator, but the 10W mode works for now, i guess. i really love the 10W mode, but its not the best for high gain stuff. it doesnt quite have the authority that the 90W and 45W modes have. but i have noticed in the few chances ive had to crank it that it really comes to life as the output knob comes up. ive found that extreme mode sounds kind of dull compared to the mark iv mode at bedroom volumes, but once it gets loud, its aggressive to say the least. :D

o ya, and i too have a marshall along with my V (see sig). having the 2 together gives me so many tonal options, its frankly a little ridiculous. :lol:

I find the Mark V shines in a band, and some of the things that bug me at home work great in a live context.

For instance, switching between channel 2 and 3 at home can be jarring due to the shift in the bottom end; however, in a band it translates different as the bassist maintains a consistent low end the whole time. Same goes for the treble... at home it can sound grating,yet in a mix it's the part that actually cuts through the drums.

jabberwocker said:
Well, I finally got it working again. Not sure what the issue was. I reseated the tubes and installed a new fuse. I didn't put the v1 shield back in as it's just impossible to do so without taking the amp out of the head box ( :( ). Anyway, I recently got an Aracom DAG (attenuator) and that made quite a difference. This amp needs to get loud! With the master cranked up, the Mark IV and IIc+ modes have a fullness and ample bass they were completely lacking at lower volume. Much better.
how is the Aracom working with your boogie so far?

mxr2000 said:
jabberwocker said:
how is the Aracom working with your boogie so far?
As I said above, it lets me run the master much higher (not using the loop) which really fills out the low end in CH3. The Aracom is very transparent. I don't notice any loss of tone or dynamics in step attenuation mode.

I found that my Recto similarly has days when I love it and days when it is not so good. Never hated it though. As I have come to find with similar equipment the greater its potential the sometimes harder it is to exploit. I have continued to work and tweak my amp and am reaping the rewards.

Back