MARK V COMBO VS HEAD & 212/412

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsens03

Reaction score
HOW DO THEY COMPARE? CAN ANYONE POST CLIPS OF BOTH? I'D LOVE TO GET A HEAD AND CAB BUT FINANCIALLY AND DUE TO SPACE I'LL PROBABLY END UP WITH A COMBO. IF I DO END UP WITH A COMBO I'D PROBABLY EVENTUALLY PICKUP A 112 CAB TO STACK THE COMBO ON. WHATS EVERYONE'S OPINIONS ON ALL THIS?

Off the top of my head, there are two major variables.

1) V30's vs C90's. The V30's have more of mid focus with lots of punch and can sound more bright/harsh if they're brand new, but the mellow out eventually. The C90's have a very rich high and low end, some how more dark and less in your face than a V30's (just my take on them).

2) Open back cab vs. closed back. All of the Mesa vert 2x12's and 4x12's are closed back. This helps with re-enforcing low end and making the sound more focus. Open back makes the sound mellower and well ...open sounding. You'll notice that in this regard Mesa chooses speakers that compliment the cab. V30 for closed, C90 for open.

I find it not to be a deal breaker in either case. If you play a lot of heavier stuff, closed back is ideal but not necessary. If I had my way I would have one of each speaker in my vertical 2x12. Keep in mind that in the 80's Mesa cabs were half open back, half closed and agree that a cab with both V30's and C90's, half open back is the best of both worlds. No matter what you go with, it will sound good.

I've been a head/cab guy for a while, as I like the versatility. I agonized over the same thing when I got ready to order. One of my best friends is a well known LA producer/engineer and Mesa artist. he mostly also uses heads in the studio, to better match cabs. However, he played both variations and just loved the vibe and feel of the combo with the C90, even though he has access to pretty much any gear he wants. We played around together and came up with a killer solution- MarkV combo with C90 speaker and a complimentary widebody closed back 1x12 with EVM-12L to stack it on. you get a little looser vibe with the combo but the power and oomph of the ported/closed back EVM adds power.

I have the 1x12 in hand with the EVM, and my combo is supposed to be done in 3 weeks!

I'm not the original poster, but the I'm the owner of a combo. This is my first "real" amp, previously I owned some solid state combos not worth mentioning. I am extremely happy with my combo, however reading a lot of the threads made me think: "If I love so much the combo, would I love more the head +cab?" And this can be a tormenting question, every thread I see head + cab haha I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's refreshing to see some love for the combo. So thanks guys! haha :lol:

And I'll eventually add a cab to stack the combo on, and create the mini tower of power. :twisted:

combo's are more space practical and easier to lug around with you to jam with your friends or at church or where ever. I would like to have a mark v head AND combo lol. I hope I can find a Mark V head for a fair price along with a road king 212. That way I'll have both a C90 and V90. Then also eventually pick up a 412 traditional straight cab. That would be the most ideal. Than it could function just like a combo with the open back c90 AND as a head with the closed back cab.

dbsens03 said:
combo's are more space practical and easier to lug around with you to jam with your friends or at church or where ever. I would like to have a mark v head AND combo lol. I hope I can find a Mark V head for a fair price along with a road king 212. That way I'll have both a C90 and V90. Then also eventually pick up a 412 traditional straight cab. That would be the most ideal. Than it could function just like a combo with the open back c90 AND as a head with the closed back cab.

My issue with the the Mark V combo is that if feels heavier and more awkward to carry around than the Mark V head. I have a head and a 1x12 mesa wide body cab that is only around 30 pounds. I can carry both (one in each hand) no problem and I have the versatility of putting the head on any cab any time I want. Its not hard whatsoever to carry the head by itself and then grabbing your 1x12. I love having just the head because I have a mesa 4x12 too that I put the head on when doing large shows. You can't go wrong with the head, its limitless but the combo is heavier and would have to be lugged around with an extension cab if you need the extra volume.

ESP123 said:
dbsens03 said:

My issue with the the Mark V combo is that if feels heavier and more awkward to carry around than the Mark V head. I have a head and a 1x12 mesa wide body cab that is only around 30 pounds. I can carry both (one in each hand) no problem and I have the versatility of putting the head on any cab any time I want. Its not hard whatsoever to carry the head by itself and then grabbing your 1x12. I love having just the head because I have a mesa 4x12 too that I put the head on when doing large shows. You can't go wrong with the head, its limitless but the combo is heavier and would have to be lugged around with an extension cab if you need the extra volume.

Totally valid points, I guess what I meant with my comment is that I've seen a lot of negative comments towards the SOUND of the combo, as if it was a totally different amp. I wont argue that the head is more portable, or that it's more versatile. Even at times it's more aesthetically appealing. But the combo is still a Mark V 100% and I love it. If it was in my possibilities, I'd own the head and an array of cabs AND the combo.

With that said, I love my combo to death. We bonded the minute I plugged it in the store, and the bond is growing. I've never been happier :D

My only regret with the combo is the weight coupled with a single carry handle, its a right pain. I use my combo with a 2x12 cab and it sounds monstrous, I demo'd loads of speakers and tried to pick the ones that complimented the C90 for a nice even spread which were the G12K 100's.
I'm considering breaking the combo into a 1x12 cab and head so ive got a rig for every occasion, a 2x12, a 1x12 or both stacked, I would advise that you look into a cab with removable panels, they arent dear and give you the greatest versatility, you never know what space you will be given at a gig and removing panels will give you flexibility for your sound. :D

I chose the head for the flexibility of different cabs AND the portability factor. When sitting on my Express 23 1x12, it's footprint is the same as the combo, with my 3/4 back 2x12 it can make some serious noise. I also prefer to have the tubes isolated from the speaker(s).

The tone of the combo is definately affected and shaped by the fact it is plugged into only one speaker. Take the cabinet size too that holds the speaker and that is a big shaper of sound. The head is all the tone, is awesome to look at and its portable.

I would advise to get the head.

germangallardo said:
I think this thread needs more pics. :mrgreen:
CIMG1135.jpg

I have a similar issue going on. Got the combo but wanted a little more low end punchiness for 7 strings and drop tunings. So I got the widebody theil and stacked em up. Made a huge difference and Im happy with it. Now I kinda just want the head and maybe 2 widebody 1X12s! But the combo is kinda nice for clean tone and filling the room due to the open back. But if anyone wants to trade a MV head for my combo straight up, id probably do it...

@Shaner30

Sounds good man, I have a 7 string as well. Any pics of the stack? :D I'm curious about how that setup would look.

I agree with what a few other people have said, I much prefer the head (lol) cause of it's versatility and portability of my 2x12 cabinet.

germangallardo said:
I think this thread needs more pics. :mrgreen:
IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

heres a snippet of my tone obelisk with one of the fiddles, the Les Paul at the back is Sans pickups at the moment so is hiding its face! :lol:

mesa.jpg

The guitar is a Jaden Rose Custom, hand made in UK and is a beast!

IMG_0294.jpg
[/quote]

what a cool picture. I need one of those, where did you get it?

ESP123 said:

what a cool picture. I need one of those, where did you get it?[/quote]

Honestly... my ex girlfriend's brother gave it to me about 2 years ago. When I first seen it in his bedroom, I tried searching for it to buy but couldn't find it anywhere! But he eventually just gave it to me since I play guitar and he doesn't haha! 8)

Latest posts

Back