Mark V Combo to Head Conversion Help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzorge

Reaction score
Anyone have info on what is involved converting a combo to a head? I thought I saw a 'how to' years ago on here, but can't find it.

Thanks

Gizzorge!

You're going to need a Mesa Mark V Head Shell. Give Mesa Hollywood a call. They can give you prices and what measurements, if any, are needed. I ordered a head shell from them to convert my 5:50 Express + combo to a head. Took a good 3 months from start to finish. The staff at Mesa Hollywood are great. I called them just before the 3 month mark and they called Mesa for me to check on the status. Called me back a week later and said it was being shipped to them. Called me when it arrived at their store and shipped it out to me the next day. When I opened the box I was very happy :p The fit and finish were impeccable. Took all of 10-15mins to disconnect the reverb and speaker, unscrew the top mounted chassis screws, pull it out of the combo and slide it in the head shell. Give them a call

Cheers,

Riki

First off, you need the Mark V shell. If you have a wide body Mark IV shell, you will have to alter the front face plate in order for the chassis to fit properly. I had both Mark IV combo and Mark V head. Wanted to swap chassis. Mark IV chassis will fit into a Mark V head shell but not the other way around due to the shape of the chassis just below the control surfaces. As for the mushroom post to support the transformer, it is actually not for support of the transformer but for the chassis to prevent vibration. It is not essential or necessary.

I would also inquire if the head shell comes with a reverb tank already mounted. There is a difference between the reverb tanks as the one in the combo only has a plywood cover on the tank, the one for the head needs to have the aluminum sheet metal cover in order to install it.

Latest posts

Back