Mark V Combo rattlings!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPJunky

Reaction score
I finaly found a MkV combo on saturday. Brought it home and now 48 hours later big dilema!! I can't be happier with flexibility and overall sound of the different channels but and I mean what's all that rattling going on at the back. It seems that the low frequencies causes the vibrations to rattle the power vacuum tubes. It is especially noticable when using a cleanish sound. It does it even at relatively low volumes. Could'nt pin point exactly where it comes from. It does not appear to be related to the speaker since everything coming out front sounds ok. It's only when you pay attention to what is bouncing the back wall that the issue sort of take over. I made sure the EQ and all setups were decent not over the top. I understand that a combo migth be more vulnerable to vibrations coming from the 12" than a head format but I don't know what to do. Everything seems to be so well made. If I knock gently on the tubes when its turned off they all sort of rattle inside so to some degree I would expect a bit of rattling on occasion. When its operating, no noise, no microphonic, nothing, very quiet and does not crackle or else when the power tubes are gently tapped. Anyboby else got some degree of rattling? Is it more or less normal?

Perplexed...

My Roadster combo used to have a bit of a rattle and after some searching, I deemed it to be the reverb chassis was rattling a bit. My combo was brand new, so I just played the **** out of it and now it seems everything has settled and the rattle is gone.

I had the exact same problem and I mean EXACT and have taken the amp back to the dealer and am getting a head! The dealer swapped some tubes that appeared to be bad and the same thing happened with the new ones. They pulled the chassis out and the rattling stopped. I was worried that this may be an issue with the combo and not just mine but all of them, so my fear is starting to sound true. Although we could have just been lucky... with the ones we got. :? Only time will tell.

I guess my next question would be if any head owners have this issue? I know it is a remote possibility cause the tubes are not sitting next to the speaker. But ya never know. Especially if the tube sockets are "loose" like mine...they just didn't hold the tubes firmly enough.

marcg71 said:
I guess my next question would be if any head owners have this issue? I know it is a remote possibility cause the tubes are not sitting next to the speaker. But ya never know. Especially if the tube sockets are "loose" like mine...they just didn't hold the tubes firmly enough.

Yes, that's totally it. Kevin from London Power HATES combo amps because the physics of them will eventually destroy your power tubes, especially if you crank the amp.

I called my dealer when I read this thread this am and told them forget getting me a combo I'll take the head. UNFORTUNATELY they told me the heads aren't even built yet and I may have to wait a month and a half!!!!!!!

marcg71 said:
I called my dealer when I read this thread this am and told them forget getting me a combo I'll take the head. UNFORTUNATELY they told me the heads aren't even built yet and I may have to wait a month and a half!!!!!!!

The line for heads starts about a mile behind us to the right. :evil:

I just used the MKV in a rehearsal last nigth. Any doubts I had are gone. The rattlings never bothered me at the levels we played (normal loud but not over the top). So I came to realized (reading other posts on LoneStar, etc.) that bottling an amount of metal rods and plates in a glass enclosure is bound to shake somewhat irrespective of brands. As long as the audience don't here it ! I did not heer it last night and even in playing a few jazz tunes in the playlist (it's there but frankly I can live with it as long as it stays like that).

Now I just have to mention that I spent most time with the FAT clean, Tweed, Crunch and IIC+. Wow! :D I had a great time. Not that hard to find a usable tone. Will need a few weeks for sure to improve on all the possibilities.

Now my back hurts. Its a bit heavier than it looks. You start to count the seconds after carrying it 20 steps..... :(

Found a rattling rectifier tube AND one rattling 6L6. All this helped quiet a bit but still not rattle free. Got the chance to bring it back and swap to a head. I'm using the head with a 2x12 THD cab that I had for 7 years. I will never look back.

Just got mine and it is the rectifier tube in my case. Dam thing rattles like crazy. I called MESA and hopefully I will get a quiet one. I would have preferred the head but for 100 dollars more having the combo seemed like the way to go. I have an 2x12 rectifier cab with v30's on the way. That should take care of the problem.

gts said:
Mark Fore said:
Well I could always make you guys a head shell and you could swap it in and out of the combo as you like/ need.
]

004.jpg

GTS is THE man, in case you don't know-I love showin' off my GTS COLI!!

lesterpaul said:
gts said:
Mark Fore said:
Well I could always make you guys a head shell and you could swap it in and out of the combo as you like/ need.

GTS is THE man, in case you don't know-I love showin' off my GTS COLI!!

You SNOB! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

DSC03304.jpg

All kidding aside, GTS (George) comes highly recommended by many BB forum users. If you would like a spare head cab for your combo MkV, he can hook you up.

Latest posts

Back