Mark V combo and 2x12 extension cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Mark V heads aren't available in the UK yet, if I were to buy a combo could I use the internal speaker plus my 2x12 cabinet together for maximum sound coverage ? My cab can be wired in series @8ohm or parallel @4ohm. Would there be much benefit in still using the internal speaker ?

Second question, I'm reading that that the Mark V combo's are a lot lighter than the Mark IV - Can anyone confirm ?

Thanks in advance,
Tony

benson said:
Hi guys,

Mark V heads aren't available in the UK yet, if I were to buy a combo could I use the internal speaker plus my 2x12 cabinet together for maximum sound coverage ? My cab can be wired in series @8ohm or parallel @4ohm. Would there be much benefit in still using the internal speaker ?

Second question, I'm reading that that the Mark V combo's are a lot lighter than the Mark IV - Can anyone confirm ?

Thanks in advance,
Tony

correct: the iv is heavier by a lot. dk how much the iv combo i have weighs. it's widebody, but it's got the c-90, not the evm 12l. i would estimate it around 80lbs. not fun to carry :? the evm will add an extra 10-15 lbs on top of the c-90, i would bet! (maybe that's off by a bit, but it makes things worse all around).

the v is definitely lighter--shipped it was 61lbs in the mesa box. so the combo by itself, minus all the cords, footswitch, casters, or box is probably closer to 45-50 lbs. so yes, hefting it will not break your back.

if you like your 2x12, they're probably going to sound better than the stock c-90. i don't like it's tone and it's a bit stuffy in the combo. is your 2x12 closed back and/or ported? you'll probably get the best tone out of a non-open back cab for this amp, unless you spend a lot of time on mid-gainy crunchy stuff like tweed on ch 1 or crunch on ch 2. then the tightness is not so much as issue. i'm actually thinking of swapping to a head cab, but i need dimensions to send to one of the builders i'm considering.

I have a Port City 2x12 with Vintage 30's, ported cab. I was originally set on a head but I started thinking about the versatility of a combo for rehearsals and small gigs plus the combo and 2x12 together for bigger gigs. Would there be any sonic benefit to having the 1x12 + 2x12 together (or is it even technically possible)?

Tony

benson said:
I have a Port City 2x12 with Vintage 30's, ported cab. I was originally set on a head but I started thinking about the versatility of a combo for rehearsals and small gigs plus the combo and 2x12 together for bigger gigs. Would there be any sonic benefit to having the 1x12 + 2x12 together (or is it even technically possible)?

Tony

well you could run a stereo rig. it's "technically" possible if the impedance is matched, or at least safely mismatched. like an 8-ohm 1x12 combo and 8-ohm wired 2x12 ext. there's a section on this towards the end of the mark v manual. very visually descriptive.

you could also just have the head by itself and run it through a 1x12 ext cab. useful for small small gigs and maybe recording at lower volumes.

I think the numbers in the previous post is a bit off.

I weighted the combo at 68 lbs which I returned 2 months ago to get a head at 45 lbs. I use it with a THD 2x12" which itself is 49 lbs. After 2 weeks of lugging the combo around in stairs and all, and the fact that my combo had developped a bit of a rattle (combo are a bit finnicky for rattles I find) I gave up.

Latest posts

Back