Mark V Changes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new in the box Mark V from my local dealer. It looks like they made some cosmetic changes to the head version.
The tube guard is now painted black and they are using Ruby reverb pans with an extended cover. Not sure if anything is different
on the inside but it looks to have some changes. Anyone else notice this?

Sure, I replaced the stock STR440 tubes, those didn't come with it. (I wish)

IMG_8759.jpg

IMG_8763.jpg

DaveP said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I put that in my "suggestions" section on my Electra-Dyne warranty card/survey. BRING BACK THE STR-454 and the STR-442 as standard equipment!!!!!!! I would gladly pay another $50-$100 for the amp. :wink:

JOEY B. said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I put that in my "suggestions" section on my Electra-Dyne warranty card/survey. BRING BACK THE STR-454 and the STR-442 as standard equipment!!!!!!! I would gladly pay another $50-$100 for the amp. :wink:

That would be great. These tubes bring out the clarity the 440's just don't have. It was a toss up between the 454's or the 415's for this amp.
I decided to save the 415's for my 60/100 C+. I want to try different preamps in this amp one of these days. I have some old Tungsram and RFT's laying around.

JOEY B. said:
DaveP said:

STR-454 - which tubes are that?

JOEY B. said:
Oldschool said:
STR-454 - which tubes are that?

When they were MESA labeled, they were called Svetlana. They are now what is known as SED Winged =C= . The STR-442 is the EL-34 SED Winged =C= .

Thanks man, I´m still running the original 6L6´s in my Mark V (actually quite happy with them). Are the SED Winged supposed to be superior, soundwise?

6L6 STR-454 Russia - Svetlana The 454 is a premium quality, US equivalent 6L6 power tube, comparable to the legendary Sylvania 415 - Remarkable bass definition, articulate mids and simmering highs keeps every note amazingly intelligible - Smooth, creamy and punchy - Premium structural quality, provides exceptional consistency and reliability - Recommended for higher voltage requirements

Info from this resource of different Mesa tubes. http://www.srl.utu.fi/~tke/MesaBoogie/Tube/mesa-tubes.html

Oldschool said:
Thanks man, I´m still running the original 6L6´s in my Mark V (actually quite happy with them). Are the SED Winged supposed to be superior, soundwise?

I have a set of the EL34s in my Recto. They're pretty sweet.

Latest posts

Back