Mark V bashing / hate

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesfarrell

Reaction score
I see a lot of MKV bashing on other boards. Mainly the complaint is that it is not adequate for live use, lack of headroom, etc .... Nothing more than an expensive bedroom amp. Ouch that hurt. Pertucci ditched his MKV for a Triaxxis, etc... and all sorts of other bashing.

My band has only one guitarist, me, and I use it for the heavier tunes, which is more hard rock based and I use it for metal at home.

I haven't had a lot of tube amps, so I don't really know what the amp is lacking. Sometimes I think it does not have enough gain, but I am finding out that the presence knob and the treble knob on channel 3 have a lot to do with the gain. I know this info is in the book and I read it front to back a few times, but not recently. There's a lot of **** to retain in that book.

The basic question I have, is this. Is this an adequate metal / thrash amp? Sometimes I'm doubting it.

I believe the headroom issues were regarding the 25 Watt Mark V.

I think both Lamb of Gods and Dillinger Escape Plan have used the Mark V for Metal.

I see a LOT of this, and it is my opinion that it is primarily from the following:

1. Tribalism. People need to belong to a group, and that group is defined by "othering" people (or amps) not in that group. High School, basically.

2. Enabling. Amps are expensive and really luxury items. How do I live with the fact that I spent a ton of cash on my amp? All other amps are worthless...

3. Sour Grapes. Like #2, but I couldn't afford the amp. And my friends told me that it sucks anyway...

The Petrucci example is interesting in that it ignores a few critical arguments. First, he used Mark IV and Mark V amps for years. If they didn't work, he had no reason to use them at all. Was he somehow stuck with them?? Second, he also ditched his 4x12 cabs for 1x12 cabs. Does that mean that 4x12 cabs can't do metal now? Guess I'll see a lot more of them for sale on the used market.

I assume that JP's gear changes are about convenience. A Triaxis + 2:90 is really just a 100-channel Mark amp. Having owned that combination, I don't see a huge advantage over a Mark other than channel count. Oh, and easier to travel with.

From my personal experience, this amp shines most in live situations and will it can go from the bedroom to the outdoor stage and everything in between very easily. :D

jamesfarrell said:
Pertucci ditched his MKV for a Triaxxis, etc... .

JP used the Triaxis and 2:90 for his Touring rig last year...he makes up a new touring rig every tour. He still uses his MKV as his main amp, along with MK5:25, ROV25, etc...and his vintage gear.

Authorized Boogie said:
jamesfarrell said:
Pertucci ditched his MKV for a Triaxxis, etc... .

JP used the Triaxis and 2:90 for his Touring rig last year...he makes up a new touring rig every tour. He still uses his MKV as his main amp, along with MK5:25, ROV25, etc...and his vintage gear.
As would I if I only had the money. :lol:

Like Elvis said, most people need to validate their own choice in purchasing a product by claiming that it is superior to all others thus insinuating that their judgement is superior as well.
In other words, just a bunch of insecure little sissies that cannot simply accept that people are all different and one size does not fit all.

That and user error.

I actually haven't seen a lot of bashing of the Mark V. I'm on other boards, and, for the most part, people are pretty high on the Mark V. Also, I can't believe people think Mark V lacks headroom. I play in a loud classic rock band, and this amp cuts through in both cleans and overdriven tones.

Bottom line is what you think of the amp. Is it the tool that makes you play, play better, play more? I have the Mark V:25 (just got it last week) and I love it. I want to lock myself in a room with it and play continuously, I'm that enthused with the tones. I find this little beast inspires me like no other amp has, and I've had a lot of amps through the years. I have a JVM410H, Carvin V3 & V3M (talk about amp hate for no good reason.....), Tiny Terror and used to have a Lone Star Special.

At the end of the day it's about what floats your boat.

And to further Elvis and M/B posts, he developed that rig right before a big multi-continent tour and even commented in a video, how much easier it was to get the much smaller rig transported when going through customs, etc.

Well I don't use mine in a loud live band. My drummer is loud, but it's just me on guitar when we play heavy tunes. So, I have no reference point as far as cutting through, competing with another guitar player and stuff.

It's the internet.

The stuff I read on message boards at times makes my head spin. And seeing people lap it up like fact is mind boggling.

I agree completely with the whole tribal thing.

But really, my opinion is the only one that matters to me. While I will ask for other people's opinion's and experience, I do so knowing that I will not necessarily come to the same conclusion.

I haven't had any issue with clean headroom on the V25, so I can't see how that would even be a discussion on the 90 watter.

Monstercastle said:
Bottom line is what you think of the amp. Is it the tool that makes you play, play better, play more? I have the Mark V:25 (just got it last week) and I love it. I want to lock myself in a room with it and play continuously, I'm that enthused with the tones. I find this little beast inspires me like no other amp has, and I've had a lot of amps through the years. I have a JVM410H, Carvin V3 & V3M (talk about amp hate for no good reason.....), Tiny Terror and used to have a Lone Star Special.

At the end of the day it's about what floats your boat.

BINGO!

If the primary tone you're going for is metal, I think there are better amps out there than the Mark V. The Mark excels at many things, and I haven't heard a better clean channel on any amp I've ever played. However, if you're just going for a balls out, super saturated metal tone, you might be better served with a Mesa Recto, EVH 5150 III, or Peavey 5150/6505 series.

The Mark V CAN do metal, but it will be a drier sound. There aren't a lot of metal bands using Mark V's, but there are legions of metal bands using 5150 type and Recto amps. Dillinger Escape Plan uses a Mark V, and Lamb of God has used Mark V's (they have switched back to Mark IV's though). The guitarist in Behemoth is reportedly using a Mark V, but I haven't ever seen them live or follow them at all to verify this. It really all depends on the type of metal you like to play.

What are some bands' tone that resemble what you're going for?

I'm still stuck in the 90's man. Heh.

Slayer, Exodus, Pantera, Death Angel, Dark Angel. New bands? Lamb of God.... **** can't think of anything else. Theres too many **** bands these days and I don't have the time to figure out what sucks and what doesn't.

This is a tone I love that I came up with. It is plugin based with one channel = Bias desktop, the other a LePou 456 Le and IR's

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzGA9KySMPjxc0JlajFhc3lON1E/view?usp=sharing

Now this to me sounds killer. Everybody loves these **** things, I don't know why they stopped making them. I know the MKV had the MKIV setting, but from what I read, it's not the same as the original amp. Who knows, just like the tone. But it is rather dark and lacks some level of crispness, probably just the way he's got it set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6jH-NZECc

jamesfarrell said:
Now this to me sounds killer. Everybody loves these **** things, I don't know why they stopped making them. I know the MKV had the MKIV setting, but from what I read, it's not the same as the original amp. Who knows, just like the tone. But it is rather dark and lacks some level of crispness, probably just the way he's got it set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ6jH-NZECc

The Mark IV was a niche amp and aside from the odd Metallica fanboy no one gave a **** about it until after the Mark V came out.

Once the V was released the constant comparisons of IIC+ and IV modes rekindled interest in those old amps.

jamesfarrell said:
Sometimes I think it does not have enough gain, but I am finding out that the presence knob and the treble knob on channel 3 have a lot to do with the gain.

Yes.
For high-gain tones on channel 3, the Treble pot is the key to unlocking the best gain. I find I regularly dial it much higher than the Gain pot.

jamesfarrell said:
The basic question I have, is this. Is this an adequate metal / thrash amp? Sometimes I'm doubting it.

Thrash amp, yes.
Any Mark from IIc+ to V will be at least a decent thrash amp. You may get the best results with an EQ pedal in the loop.

But "metal" amp?
As is evident on this forum and elsewhere, "metal" can mean very different styles and sounds to different generations. For some of us, "metal" was all about cranked and overdriven Marshalls. Then you had the 'new' metal sounds of the 1980s, Mesa Boogie Mark amps and ADA preamps. In the 1990s, Dual Rectifiers, 7-string guitars etc. And so on.
For 1980s "metal" sounds, the Mark V will be an excellent match. But for today's "metal", which involves heavily downtuned guitars and screamed/growled (rather than sung) vocals, I'm not hugely surprised if the Mark V is not the best choice there. Nor do I care.

screamingdaisy said:
The Mark IV was a niche amp and aside from the odd Metallica fanboy no one gave a sh!t about it until after the Mark V came out.

Once the V was released the constant comparisons of IIC+ and IV modes rekindled interest in those old amps.

How many thousands of these "niche" amps did Mesa sell over ~ 15 years, and exactly what niche was it filling? To me a Dumble clone is a niche amp. Anyone who believes the IV is only a metal amp is missing its versatility.

Latest posts

Back