Mark V and how things sound to you. Question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldTelecasterMan

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just my way of thinking but the posts about tones really make me curious about how other musicians figure out how they dial in their amp? I seems that many are trying to get the sound of someone else.

For myself I work with my main guitar and dial things in to what I like, what I think sounds the best for my taste with whatever guitar I’m using. I cannot really say it sounds like this or that. I work to get the guitar and amp working as best as I can as a pair. Each guitar has its own voice, color and sweet spot when it comes to how it reacts to my playing, amp, pedals etc. I always felt that most all of the tone came from me, my hands and not so much the amp or the guitar, all things being of at least decent quality that is.

Case and point, I was sitting in the bar having a beer with a very good friend of mine who was a phenomenal beyond belief guitarist well we were just BS.ing about the bands in town. We found out we did the same thing before we went into the local bars. We would stand outside and listen to the band and try and figure out who was playing that night by the guitarist we heard. Most guitarists have decent tone. Some always kicked on a Wah pedal when they did leads (because they are not that good, very bad habit) so they were always easily identifiable. Some would always play the lead of the original recording note for note. Some had a tone and style that was theirs and every bit of who they are came out even through my equipment when we had them come up and play a few tunes. I mean really, if you were in a bar and (Name your favorite guitarist) came in and you were to hand your guitar to them, do you really think it’s going to sound like you? I bet it’s going to sound like them exactly, not close but exactly.

I have gotten up with bands, jammed out a few tunes and more times than I can count had the guitarist come up after and say, "I didn’t know my guitar could sound like that (in a good way,lol)". Great complement but no extra effort on my part.

So back to my point, what is it about trying to get the Mark V to sound like something that it is not?

Yeah, I have had similar experience. I think it is a combination of:

1. Amps do have their own character. Sometimes a particular amp is required to get some part of the desired tone, and the player may not know how to dial it.

2. Hope. If all else fails, buy new equipment.

3. Stepping up. Partly a symptom of #2, but sometimes starting with a budget amp and then stepping up to a better piece of equipment comes with growing pains and a steep learning curve.

For me, I have gone through the "buy every amp" phase and wound up having to follow up with some real woodshedding to get what I am looking for, plus some serious advice for dialing the amp, plus some acceptance that I sound like me and that's how it is.

For sure people who know me can tell when I am playing from outside the club.

There's that, and also a limited verbiage when discussing tones on a message board. Its a lot easier to say hey I'm looking for a master of puppets type tone, than it is to sit here and somehow quantify the exact saturation and compression you're looking for. I think its ease of description rather than truly trying to mimic an exact tone.

When I was learning guitar in the early 1970's, I thought "If I only had a Les Paul I could play and sound like Duane Allman". Well I have several Les Pauls and I still don't play or sound like him, and I abandoned the goal years ago when I realized the real fun was playing like me! Now I simply try to fill my ears with the tones I have in my head, and I know when I hear it and feel it.

But you asked the question "what is it about trying to get the Mark V to sound like something that it is not?". I know for me, I continually experiment with different gear to get the tone I seek for the music I write and cover. Sometimes I get real close, even close enough, but it doesn't stop me from continuing the quest for "perfection". So it's not so much "...about trying to get the Mark V to sound like something that it is not.", it's about exploring whether a certain piece of gear will get me where I want to go, and asking others about a certain tone I hear in my head, using known popular music as a reference.

Thanks to all that replied. I think i have a better idea. It probably is the problem with trying to explain a tone.

I like a little bit of tweaking the tones here and there. I also notice little differences in amp interaction, growl or clarity night to night. We don't play the same place two nights in a row so everything is always different room wise. But the sound has different flavors job to job. Usually just a little adjustment fixes it but anyone else notice this?

Oh yes, bedroom to garage to larger bar... A boogie will take massive adjustments to keep the same tonal qualities. My bedroom to garage settings are (were) night and day when I was rocking my mIV

elvis said:
For sure people who know me can tell when I am playing from outside the club.
That is very cool.

Here is a funny one. I went to go see a band that I was good friends with. I sat on the guitarists side of the stage. He looked over and saw me and motioned for me to come over. He then hangs the guitar around my neck and walks off. This is right in the middle of a song mind you. So I get up on stage and take over, I knew most all of their material and the band didn't even notice... well until it came for the solo, I took off on the solo and then every head on stage turned. I wasn't playing anything wrong it is just for leads it sounded like me not him. I just smiled, played and ended up finishing the night. They were kind to me and only played the material I knew. I believe the guitarist wasn't feeling well due to a bit too much Tequila.

elvis said:
3. Stepping up. Partly a symptom of #2, but sometimes starting with a budget amp and then stepping up to a better piece of equipment comes with growing pains and a steep learning curve.

Ok coming clean here cause I stepped in the poo. The learning curve, a no kidding, read the manual, adjust the amp with your ears not your eyes, see if you can find what you are looking for before you engage the Graphic EQ, just because there is more turn on the gain knob doesn't mean you need it, 1/8 turn on any knob is a whole lot, the presence can actually help you find the tone you are looking for and last but not least, if at all possible, explore the amp before you try to implement the amp.

Amen.

Hmm

Oldtelecaster you are right to certain point

The only BUT is ,if you are cover player you at least have to move to the ballpark-although no sense in play note by note.

And then you have to somewhat adapt your playing ( and some gear*) in that direction

Now I know that everybody plays cover in the beginning (even the Beatles -Besame Mucho ) and then excell to their own music, but some dont,just remain musicians to play other peoples music.

What I want to say is, that if you play Sweet Home Alabama , or Smooth the your audience expects certain sound.

my 2 cents

Roland

* Any Santana song would sound better on a Mark (IIC+)

Back at ya... "to a point"..LOL

Actually, presently I am in a cover band. We do play one of my original songs. It's in the Franchise Pictures movie "Dead Simple" not a great movie but I got a contract and was paid for the use of the song. Most enjoyable check I ever cashed. I wrote it and recorded it in my home studio. Took it to the local radio station, they played it and a week later I got signed to a promotions company, about 6 months later I got the movie deal. I actually opened up for Spyra Gyra right after the movie deal.

Back to the covers, at 51 years of age 45 years playing guitar, 30 years of that in and out of bands, playing in bars, 3 night a week House bands, In all the years I have been playing in bars the only people that seem to notice a freaking thing are the other musicians that happen to be there.

I play my tone, my way on what ever song I feel like and people like it. Alcohol % by Volume. People in clubs don't know squat, most have a tin ear, could not tell if you are playing through a pignose or a full stack. Go into a lead, grab a handful of wrong and maybe just maybe one person might look. I hate to sound jaded, but I am. Play for yourself, find your sound and have fun. If you can, always play with people that are better than you, that's how you learn. We barely have bars to play in and no bar here that hires original bands. So it's covers and originals every now and then. I play for money so I can buy equipment and at times it was how I put food on the table. I'm too old to be a rock star and too young to quit playing.

I am 56 and have 35 years on (on/off) playing

You are right,but overher in europe you play rarely at bars more often at weddings,School parties,churches.Not that it matters

But from time to time an old fellow shows up ahd says that was great you nailed it ,and more pecioius and more rare a younger one comes and says huh thats cool,I have never heard it ,whats that

And I couldnd pay the food with it ,but still its a great experience

Roland

Vienna/Austria

I thought things would be possibly better over there. I thought you had more clubs and bars there. Over the years I had been doing around $6000 a year working weekends but the last 2 years since the economy has gone down jobs are scarce and its almost half that. Also there are some "chumps" in 4 and 5 piece bands that are taking jobs for $200 a night. Thats $50 per member or less a night. I can't justify the cost of fuel, pulling a trailer moving $30k in equipment for that little. The math just doesn't work.

Many kids today have no desire to do anything that takes effort and dedication. They want instant gratification. The want to "know how" to play guitar but don't want to "learn how" to play guitar.

I must say, I have been around and there is nothing more fun than walking into a bar in another country and getting up and jamming with the band.

Latest posts

Back