Mark V:25 with Fryette PS or V:35

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris osborne

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just purchased a new Mark V:25 about a week ago and I have to say having owned the full size V a while back, for whatever reason I prefer the tones I'm getting from this better than the 90 watter. My question is, I have the opportunity to take the V:25 back and swap it for the V:35 head for the difference in cost. My two concerns are, 1: Is the V:35 going to have a noticeably different tone? I feel like there is some magic going on here with this amp and I wouldn't want to swap them only to find out that "something special" I'm hearing is inherent to just the V:25 model. 2: Would I be better served to pick up a Fryette Power Station and use with the V:25? On most occasions the V:25 is loud enough as is but I do know that the PS is also an attenuater and this might offer up some increased tonal goodness at lower volumes. I'm sure I'd also have more bottom end options with the PS than what the V:35 could offer by itself. I'm also curious just how much low end difference there is between the 25 and 35? Despite what I've seen in a few discussions, I don't find the V:25 to be at all lacking in the bottom end department when used with a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet. Thanks for the help!

Chris

I'd say if it ain't broke... I mean, you ARE stating that you find "something special" in the sound of that amp, so why do you feel the need to try the 35? I'd say keep it and then consider the Power Station if need be, as you're also saying you're pleased with its' loudness and with the bottom end it provides.

Agustín Collia said:
I'd say if it ain't broke... I mean, you ARE stating that you find "something special" in the sound of that amp, so why do you feel the need to try the 35? I'd say keep it and then consider the Power Station if need be, as you're also saying you're pleased with its' loudness and with the bottom end it provides.
+1

Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, the V:25 is enough MOST of the time but then there's those times when it's like I'm wishing it had just a tad more and it would be perfect, which i guess is the reason mesa did the 35. My real decision is that if I can get the same tone from the 35 with a bit more volume then I'd go ahead and do that, but if the tone is not the same I'd opt for the fryette PS.

chris osborne said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah, the V:25 is enough MOST of the time but then there's those times when it's like I'm wishing it had just a tad more and it would be perfect, which i guess is the reason mesa did the 35. My real decision is that if I can get the same tone from the 35 with a bit more volume then I'd go ahead and do that, but if the tone is not the same I'd opt for the fryette PS.
Without having tried the 35, I suspect the tone should be the same. However, what i think the Power Station gives you is choice: you can either use the stock power section, use the V:25's preamp into the PS's power section (bypassing the V:25's power amp), and finally you can also use the PS to increase the volume of the V:25 while still using its' power section, together with the 6L6's in the PS... I for one would go with the V:25 and the PS, plus you gain portability over the 35.
Good luck!!

It's exactly the versatility I'd have with the PS and V:25 that's making this a tough decision. :)

It even looks like they were made for each other! http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70638#p480809

My V:25 didn't get along with the Powerstation at all. Anything over the 9:00 position on the volume knobs sent it into microphonic feedback. I tried new tubes, looked for ground loops etc. I tried two different amps with the Powerstation and it worked great.
That said, I did read the other thread where someone used his V:25 into the Powerstation with great results.
I now have the V:35 in the combo form and couldn't be happier.

My V25 LOVES my power station.

I have never tried the V35. I'm sure it is incredible. Not sure how much louder it is then the V25, or how much more low end you get from it. So I can't speak to that.

I can say for certain that if you plug the V25 into a power station (or atleast with my setup) and put the toggle to deep, the low end is crushing.
And with the power station you can drown out a drummer if need be.

The plus for the V35 is if it does give you enough volume and headroom and low end, you have it all in a single head. Plus it is about 300-400$ cheaper then V25 + Power Station, and you get the solo boost.

Gosh, this is a tough decision, lol. I'm kinda leaning towards the flexibility of the V:25 paired with the PS. I can always leave it behind if it isn't needed and have awesome portability. I do wish I could hear the tone difference between the two though.

The 10w difference between the 25 and 35 is literally the difference between speaker efficiencies. I honestly have no idea why Mesa didn't do a two 6L6 50w version. If you need more volume, I'd recommend the Power Station, or a slave to a power amp of some sort.

Latest posts

Back