Mark V 25 Reviews

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everybody for all the information posted here and elsewhere.

I'm thrilled to say I'm now officially in line waiting for one of sweetwater's next batch :D - one caveat is that it's my Christmas present from my wife so after making sure it's all ok I'll have to wrap it up and put it under the tree. But wait, doesn't it take days to make sure an amp is burning in correctly??? :mrgreen: :lol:

I'm also using the Mark IIc+ mode on mine. I seem to be having the same kind of problem with low end you guys are, except when I plug into my 4x12 recto cab. It's when I use my orange cab I find that it sounds boxy and kinda bleh.

For those of you who are also using a 1x12 cab and have some problems with low end on the IIc+ mode how are you setting your EQ?

Rectifried said:
Thanks everybody for all the information posted here and elsewhere.

I'm thrilled to say I'm now officially in line waiting for one of sweetwater's next batch :D - one caveat is that it's my Christmas present from my wife so after making sure it's all ok I'll have to wrap it up and put it under the tree. But wait, doesn't it take days to make sure an amp is burning in correctly??? :mrgreen: :lol:

4-6 months is what I recommend. :D

Congrats! Can't wait to hear what you do with that thing!

UPDATE:

Played my MV25 at rehearsal again last night. Cabs were 1x12 widebody closed back ported and 1x12 Electradyne cab. Both cabs on the floor, though I put the closed back on its side so it was taller than wide. I used two so I could put one on the other side of the stage and avoid some of the beaming, though the ported speaker is not super-directional. Next time I will try with just one cab.

Tons of low-end, I wound up turning the Presence up a bit to about 11-12:00. Still some work to be done on tone. It was also very dependent on volume and the guitar I used (I played 3 last night, a tele, a superstrat and a superstrat 7-string). My favorites were the tele on the clean channel (really great-sounding) and the 7 (with Crunch Lab pickup) on lead channel.

I moved the Presence around from song to song, and found that it works well as a master tone control, so I can leave the EQ and GEQ alone, but quickly change the character. In particular I wanted to be able to go from loose and bassy to full and warm to tight and crunchy, and it did the job. It seems a lot like the ISF knob on my Blackstar, though with not as much rumble.

I am ever-more happy with the 2C+ mode, and struggling with the IV mode, as it is not as punchy. I want to like IV mode for the bass boost, but hey, as long as there is a mode I like, great. Also, when my tastes invariably change, I have more modes. I will have to try playing with Presence on the IV mode and see what happens.

At the moment for flexibility I am running the gain at 12:00 and using an OD808 for more drive and presence, plus a BBPre for more soupy leads. I really should run the gain lower, but that would mean using the gain pedals more and not really using the amp tone.

I'm also getting a very nice crunch with the OD808 on the clean channel. I have the clean channel set up similarly to the FAT Sparkling Clean video, and it really does sparkle with my tele. Add the 808 and it is pretty close to how I would set the Crunch mode.

All in all it is a very different beast loud vs. home volume. It had more than enough volume for an acoustic drum set and our vocalist complained that we needed to turn down. It doesn't have the punch of 6L6 or EL34 (obviously) so I noticed that while it cut through on leads I tended to get lost in the mix with crunch chords, they mush out a bit. Turning up the presence fixes that, but at the expense of low-end.

I have a simple question: Mark V 25 w or Mini Rectifier / Rectoverb 25 in bedroom volumes?

Thanks!

Bruno

elvis said:
UPDATE:

All in all it is a very different beast loud vs. home volume. It had more than enough volume for an acoustic drum set and our vocalist complained that we needed to turn down. It doesn't have the punch of 6L6 or EL34 (obviously) so I noticed that while it cut through on leads I tended to get lost in the mix with crunch chords, they mush out a bit. Turning up the presence fixes that, but at the expense of low-end.

Gigged with my MV:25 for the first time last night, used (2) 1x12 cabs, one on each side of stage. Very happy with it overall. :D I noticed the same thing as mentioned above. Here's what I ended up doing to compensate....I turned down my guitar volume knob about 1/2 way for rhythm playing and turned it back up for leads/solos.

To Elvis and anybody else who has run the Mark V 25 into a power amp,

Would you please comment on dynamics as well as tone? I'm interested in running this little wonder into a custom power amp I have, but I would not want to lose any of its goodness. I guess I'm asking if the effects loop is good to go.

Appreciate any feedback,
Scott

The power amp is part of the tone, and the 5:25 preamp was tuned specifically for the built-in power amp. You will likely hear a difference running into a different amp, but it may sound great. Only way to find out is to try it.

The Mark preamp does likely dominate the tone, as it has mucho gain. It also has the GEQ. The only thing I think you will have little control over is dynamics.

You could also try cabclone out into your outboard power amp.

I've been really digging the sound I get when I run the cab clone out to my PA along with the speaker cab. I keep the PA a bit quieter than the cab so it only slightly reinforces the sound but holy s@@# does it sound full and huge.
So far I've tried the Mini Mark in about every conceivable configuration that I can think of.
Cab, cab with PA via cab clone, headphones, studio monitors via cab clone, PA only with outboard fx inserted into the mixer (perfect album tones), mic'd, mic'd with cab clone, etc....

I got a chance to play a bit with a drummer and he was concerned about a 25 watt amp keeping up. I did just fine in C+ mode but I had to crank the master up a bit. Blending in a bit of the cab clone through the PA got the volume and punch up to tonal nirvana but my drummer buddy kept razzing me about what I'd do if I didn't have the PA.
I switched to Xtreme mode and completely drowned his drums out just through my 2x12. 8)

Figured I'd throw a few thoughts in here now that I've had a bit of time with mine. First of all, the tone is awesome. I have barely scratched the surface, having spent the majority of my time in 2c+ mode, then fat, then crunch, and just dabbling with the others a bit. This sucker just sings away no matter how I set it. :mrgreen:

One extremely cool feature - the taper on the master on channel 2 is so smooth - its very easy to get low volume sounds, without a sudden BUMP to loud as you turn up.

I have not tried cabclone yet. However here is a short clip I did going out of a line out on a hot plate to my DAW using recabinet 3.5 for the speaker sims. I also used Waves ADT to give a double tracked effect (sadly falls apart when played in mono). Excuse the crappy playing - i was more listening to the tone than focusing on what I was playing :) I can actually hear a couple points where I tried to think of what came next, lol. http://www.arfnbear.com/music/greyMV25.mp3

Yes I am a Petrucci fanboi, lol..

yeah baby! That sounds great. I wish they'd build mine! LOL

Can't wait to hear more from you Markzilla! (new name for you! :D )

Latest posts

Back