mark v 25 into external power amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aramism

Reaction score
In theory, and I hope someone has tried this, if you run out of the fx send from the mark v 25 (which is basically its preamp) into an external power amp, say a mark iv, 2:90, whatever, wouldn't you have a more legit channel 2 sound? meaning, let's say in addition to the sweet el84 section for clean and bluesy stuff, let's say you wanted it to sound ballsy and iic+ ish, well you just can't get that with a pair of low wattage el84s, but say you run it out into a mark iv power amp with 4 6L6's wouldn't you essentially have the mark v head iic+ mode and a full 100w mark series power section?

Yes you would but you will still need to have a load on the mini marks power section. It would need to be plugged into a cab even though it won't output any noise. Or use the cab clone as a load.

Aramism said:
In theory, and I hope someone has tried this, if you run out of the fx send from the mark v 25 (which is basically its preamp) into an external power amp, say a mark iv, 2:90, whatever, wouldn't you have a more legit channel 2 sound? meaning, let's say in addition to the sweet el84 section for clean and bluesy stuff, let's say you wanted it to sound ballsy and iic+ ish, well you just can't get that with a pair of low wattage el84s, but say you run it out into a mark iv power amp with 4 6L6's wouldn't you essentially have the mark v head iic+ mode and a full 100w mark series power section?

I have tried something similar to what you suggest.

You can do everything you said.

Whether you get the desired effect is something else entirely.

I have not tried it through a 2:90, but I have tried it through a Fryette power station in the manner you speak. Where I have the effects send of the 25 going into the effects return of the power station, so it is running on 26L6.

Sounds great
Doesn't sound better then running it through the Mark V25 power section.

In fact, when using the power station I prefer to send the speaker out of the V25 to the power station so I get the effect of the V25's power amp section.

All that said, I am jamming tonight in a two guitar setup running a widebody 1x12 with a Vintage 30, and I left the power station back home. Don't need it.

Other then more low end and some more clean head room, I don't think your tone will get any ballsier unless by that you are refering to more low end.

And actually, if it really is more low end you want, then I HIGHLY recommend the power station. If has some toggle switches that add a ridiculous amount of low end.

Latest posts

Back